Bangkok child rescue: 8-year-old escapes brutal treatment

snoop1130

France-24.jpg

A shocking incident unfolded in Bangkok as an 8 year old child was rescued and immediately placed in a children’s home following harsh treatment by his grandmother. The child was reportedly forced to starve and eventually driven out of the house. The authorities also revealed the boy’s 10 year old sister is still living with the grandmother, whose fate remains uncertain.

The case unravelled when Chalida Palamart, also known as Ton Or from the Pen Nueng Foundation, along with officials from the Department of Children and Youth, visited a residence in Soi Nuanchan 9. They were there to investigate and assist an 8 year old child whose situation had been posted on Facebook.

The post detailed the child’s plight; with a father imprisoned, the child lived with a grandmother who was unwilling to provide care. The child was allegedly beaten, denied food, and eventually forced to flee and live on the streets.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: PHOTO: via France 24

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 5

I hope the child will be taken care of.

But I wonder if there are people and institutions in Thailand who take care of unwanted children.

Let's imagine for a moment that that grandmother never wanted the kid, could she have given the kid to someone who would take care?

(It's a real question. I know it's sad, but I also know that it's reality that some people don't want any children and are forced by the circumstances to take care of other peoples' children.)

I don't think it's that people don't want their children, it's more likely that failed marriages have created 1 parent families and the parent can't look after the children and provide for them at the same time. The classic scenario is that the husband <deleted> off, the wife goes to work in a bar and the kids get dumped on grandma.

With no welfare system and a husband pleading poverty, what else can she do?

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The post detailed the child’s plight; with a father imprisoned, the child lived with a grandmother who was unwilling to provide care. The child was allegedly beaten, denied food, and eventually forced to flee and live on the streets.

Does the government even care?

23 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Does the government even care?

I've never seen a single government program that addresses the problem of abused and/or neglected children. Doesn't mean there aren't any, rather they are just real good at hiding if they're around.

On 1/9/2024 at 9:11 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

But I wonder if there are people and institutions in Thailand who take care of unwanted children.

There is a government orphanage in Khonkaen and also at least one private foundation (Ban Luuk Rak).

I would imagine that the government has other orphanages throughout the country.