Thailand moves to ban recreational cannabis use, 18 months after historic decriminalization

webfact

On 1/12/2024 at 10:43 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

They cannot ban or stop recreational use unless they put cannabis back on the narcotics list, which realistically is not possible.

There are hundreds of thousands of people registered to grow cannabis at home now. 

If the government bungles this bill, the lawsuits being filed will clog up the courts for decades and could potentially cost the government billions.

Your post seems sensible. Two questions: 

1) How do you see this playing out in terms of access to people who use cannabis medically (and recreationally) like myself. 

2) I'm concerned about what I read here about banning flowers. I can't take edibles or extracts due to gastritis. Do you think flowers will still be available for medical use? 

Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

1) How do you see this playing out in terms of access to people who use cannabis medically (and recreationally) like myself. 

2) I'm concerned about what I read here about banning flowers. I can't take edibles or extracts due to gastritis. Do you think flowers will still be available for medical use? 

Thanks. 

100% they aren’t going anywhere. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

In you opinion, nothing will change and this is just sound and fury with no action? I'm good with that. Hope you're correct. It's strange to see so many alcoholics in this forum railing against cannabis. Free the weed! 

There may be changes, but you’ll still be able to get your favourite strain. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 1:43 AM, Dogmatix said:

Don't know where you are but the smell of pot is not noticeable in Bangkok at all. 

In 2 months travelling around Thailand last year, I did not smell marijuana more than once or twice, and that was from people smoking in weed shops. The law prohibits smoking in public, and from what I can see, that is observed. 

• Agree 2

On 1/15/2024 at 10:46 AM, Dogmatix said:

Here is part of the public consultation meeting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6ZRR6GY1Nc. It was rather poorly attended by people in the weed business.  Small business people asking questions, but unfortunately no legal hotshots challenging the draft.  Most of them seemed like very ordinary guys trying to make a living but not very knowledgeable about legal matters. So can be easily ridden roughshod over.  I thought they had better legal muscle from articles I had read.  The biggest complaints were about Section 25, the prohibition on recreational use, and a ridiculous, broad definition of recreational in the law.  There are penalties for recreational use of a fine of I think 60lk and or 1 year in jail but also penalties for the seller. They asked how can they know, if they sell for medicinal use and someone uses it for fun. The definition of recreational can overlap with medical, they pointed out, e.g, .if you take it for Parkinsons and that allows you to relax and enjoy yourself, then, it appears that you have crossed the line to recreational use. They said police would be incentivized to go into someone backyard to arrest him for smoking a joint, if the cop make an instant judgement that he was enjoying himself smoking it, even though it was for medicinal purposes.

Recent reports on the draft kept saying that the shops would no longer be allowed to sell dried buds but I didn't see or hear anything about that and the questions seemed to suggest they would still be able to sell buds for medicinal purposes.  Also there was no discussion of doctor prescriptions. Perhaps that is all to follow in ministerial regulations that don't need to go through parliament. The whole thing seems all very surreal, especially against a backdrop where they are planning to partially decriminalize amphetamines by not prosecuting possession of up to 5 pills. A year in prison for smoking a join for fun instead of for medicinal purposes but no prosecution for speed pills, no matter whether they were for recreational purposes or not.

Thanks for the detailed info. As I understand it, the partial decriminalisation of yaba is only if the individual agrees to confined rehab and some other conditions. It's suggested that new cannabis laws will not have penalties for possession.

My guess is they don't mind some recreational use, especially if it's tourists, but they need some control and don't want kids smoking.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Smithson said:

It's suggested that new cannabis laws will not have penalties for possession.

"Suggested" by whom?

Thai law and enforcement are "flexible", so we'll have to see how the Police are advised and directed. The current draft does stipulate a 60,000 (up to) baht fine and up to one year in prison for recreational use. You'd need to possess cannabis to recreationally use it.

Thailand has already moved on to hard drugs, so no worries about Cannabis being a "gateway" drug. If anything, Meth (Yaba) is the sole gateway drug here.

50 minutes ago, Smithson said:

My guess is they don't mind some recreational use, especially if it's tourists

I don't think so. The message has been very, very, very clear, consistent and concise. Absolutely no recreational use. Medical use ONLY. No need for guessing.

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2024 at 6:38 PM, Ebumbu said:

Thanks. 

They have told the media they will prevent shops selling fried flower but there is nothing about that in the draft bill.  I searched the word flower in Thai and nothing. No questions about that from shop owners and growers in the public hearing at the ministry either.  Perhaps it is something that will come later in ministerial regulations they don't need to get through parliament.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Arkady said:

They have told the media they will prevent shops selling fried flower but there is nothing about that in the draft bill.  I searched the word flower in Thai and nothing. No questions about that from shop owners and growers in the public hearing at the ministry either.  Perhaps it is something that will come later in ministerial regulations they don't need to get through parliament.

The Thai word translates to "inflorescences".

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I don't think so. The message has been very, very, very clear, consistent and concise. Absolutely no recreational use. Medical use ONLY. No need for guessing.

As the cannabis advocates have pointed out, it's not really possible to differentiate between medical and recreational - I have insomnia, so I've enjoyed smoking to relax since I was a teen. In some countries I'm a criminal, in others a patient. I'm in favor of legalization, as are most of my Thai friends, but they are not happy with the current situation and I'm not sure farang on TV realize this. In Isaan cheap weed is available for home delivery, so lots of kids are smoking and not going to school.

People can point out that it's better than them doing meth or even alcohol, but that's missing the point. It's worth remembering farang don't vote and this is not their country. Voicing our opinions too loudly could be counter productive. Cannabis seems highly commercialized in some US states and Thailand has followed that model with aggressive marketing and sales. It may turn out this strategy works because the genie just won't go back in the bottle. We will have to wait and see.

Edited by Smithson
to change
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Smithson said:

In Isaan cheap weed is available for home delivery, so lots of kids are smoking and not going to school.

Define "lots".

Sales to people under twenty years old are currently illegal.

The situation you "highlight" simply requires ENFORCEMENT. Both on the cannabis front and the truancy front.

32 minutes ago, Smithson said:

As the cannabis advocates have pointed out, it's not really possible to differentiate between medical and recreational

Of course, it is, what a silly thing to "point out".

33 minutes ago, Smithson said:

People can point out that it's better than them doing meth or even alcohol, but that's missing the point.

What "point" are we missing? Young adults under 20 should not be consuming cannabis, meth or alcohol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Define "lots".

Sales to people under twenty years old are currently illegal.

The situation you "highlight" simply requires ENFORCEMENT. Both on the cannabis front and the truancy front.

Of course, it is, what a silly thing to "point out".

What "point" are we missing? Young adults under 20 should not be consuming cannabis, meth or alcohol.

I remember, long prior to legalisation, Thai friends buying little blocks of brick weed for 100 baht. 
The only thing that has changed is the quality and variety available. The access was always there. 
All this ‘regulation’ is really just horse trading. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NextG said:

Cheap weed was available to ‘kids’ even before it was legal. No need to pretend that some young people smoking weed is something new. 

Prior to legalization brick weed was 20k a kg, now it is 2k. In the past carrying small amounts of weed could see you locked up in horrific conditions, now they are advertising on FB and selling in shops. Considering this it's obvious there's much more use by youth than in the past. Cannabis is more visible and accessible than alcohol, of course there would be a backlash by Thais and they are particularly annoyed that so many farang are making money from it. It was the US who pushed Thailand to ban it, now once again we have entitled farang complaining when things don't go there way.

Personally I think some regulation of all drugs is necessary and this supported by a lot of research in many countries. I just hope all those greedy business ppl, with their neon lights and rip off prices haven't spoilt things for ordinary ppl like me who'd just like to smoke without fearing jail.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Smithson said:

Prior to legalization brick weed was 20k a kg, now it is 2k. In the past carrying small amounts of weed could see you locked up in horrific conditions, now they are advertising on FB and selling in shops. Considering this it's obvious there's much more use by youth than in the past. Cannabis is more visible and accessible than alcohol, of course there would be a backlash by Thais and they are particularly annoyed that so many farang are making money from it. It was the US who pushed Thailand to ban it, now once again we have entitled farang complaining when things don't go there way.

Personally I think some regulation of all drugs is necessary and this supported by a lot of research in many countries. I just hope all those greedy business ppl, with their neon lights and rip off prices haven't spoilt things for ordinary ppl like me who'd just like to smoke without fearing jail.

No, it wasn’t 20k per kg. Unless someone was selling it to you for that, then that was how much it was for you. Think half that and that is still after moving through a few hands. For the local market it was much less. I know this even though I’m not involved in the industry at all. I don’t even smoke. People just like talking to me. 
Your whole premise is just a fabrication from start to finish. 

Edited by NextG
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/17/2024 at 1:51 PM, Ebumbu said:

In you opinion, nothing will change and this is just sound and fury with no action? I'm good with that. Hope you're correct. It's strange to see so many alcoholics in this forum railing against cannabis. Free the weed! 

The following video is from a doper who is interviewing a big player on the dope smoking scene.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smithson said:

As the cannabis advocates have pointed out, it's not really possible to differentiate between medical and recreational - I have insomnia, so I've enjoyed smoking to relax since I was a teen. In some countries I'm a criminal, in others a patient.

I'd take it a step farther. Relaxation is a vital part of healing. Stress itself can cause or exacerbate illnesses. A medication that promotes relaxation without addiction is a treasure. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/11/2024 at 1:26 PM, johnhender said:

Great, I am so sick of the smell and pot venders every 10 meters - everyone got what they wanted yet they couldn't behave themselves 

Just reminds me of my home town in the uk where its not legal !

• Haha 2

On 1/11/2024 at 12:07 PM, Jing Joe said:

And a gateway to much more ugly addictive drugs.

Actually, in Thailand, it's often alcohol which is the gateway to hard drugs. Young people get drunk to party  then they switch directly to synthetic "club drugs" without going through any weed phase.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/10/2024 at 4:00 PM, stoner said:

depends on the person right. for example. i have a hard time with the lk metro soi bukhao area of pattaya. it stinks like piss beer and spunk all over the place. 

rather revolting but i bite my tongue as i walk into a stinky weed shop. 

Its scientifically proven that potheads produce more spunk than drunks.

And a good weed shop never stinks, because good weed stays sealed up. If you walked into a cigar shop, and it stank of cigars, you would be buying dry cigars (dry=bad).

You all seem a bit confused and prone to argument. Hmmm

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

You all seem a bit confused and prone to argument. Hmmm

you seem a bit confused at the metaphor used. i agree the many stores that people smoke in...they don't stank at all.

as most are selling garbage flower. 

also. can you post a link or so proving that cannabis smokers produce more *spunk* than drinkers. that would be super....ted.

Edited by stoner
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2024 at 4:28 PM, Bobthegimp said:

The following video is from a doper who is interviewing a big player on the dope smoking scene.  

Thailand has been colonized by North American Weed culture. It's common for ppl to resent outsiders making money, Thailand is no different. Once upon a time farang knew to keep a low profile.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Smithson said:

Thailand has been colonized by North American Weed culture. It's common for ppl to resent outsiders making money, Thailand is no different. Once upon a time farang knew to keep a low profile.

The dopers (and other groups) have come flying out of the closet and want to infect the rest of the world with their religion. 

Dope shops on every corner, rainbow crosswalks all over the place, though I suspect the latter has been foisted on an unsuspecting populace, because what normal person would associate something as beautiful as a rainbow with sodomy and sexual deviance?  

Live and let live is no longer good enough. If you don't recite their catechism and march at the head of the parade you're intolerant, murderous scum.  Perhaps the best course is to encourage these people in their vocal fanaticism and let the Thais sort it out.  Wait a minute, we're guests here and have no vote anyways. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1