Dying unexpectedly in Thailand

berro

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to get a long-term visa for Laos? I am getting a bit tired of the Thai BS, including the latest tax changes.

Off-topic for this thread, but very briefly my annual 'retirement' visa costs about $700 USD, with no financial/savings requirements needed.  I say 'retirement' visa because there is no such thing really, but the immigration department are happy to give me an annual business visa with 'no work allowed' stamped across it!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Executors can be (should be) friends who carry out your wishes free of charge. The Thai estate is likely to be minimal.

No need for a 'professional' executor unless the estate in Thailand is complicated.

I have a separate Will for assets in the UK.

Agreeing to be an Executor is not something to be taken lightly, as there is work involved, even if an estate is not 'complicated'.  A person should never be named as Executor unless they have agreed to it and there should be an alternate named in the Will.  Unless an Executor, such as a family member, specifically states he or she dos not want compensation for the work involved with being an Executor, I think it's a good idea to discuss this with the Executor and have monetary compensation written into the Will.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, newnative said:

Agreeing to be an Executor is not something to be taken lightly, as there is work involved, even if an estate is not 'complicated'.  A person should never be named as Executor unless they have agreed to it and there should be an alternate named in the Will.  Unless an Executor, such as a family member, specifically states he or she dos not want compensation for the work involved with being an Executor, I think it's a good idea to discuss this with the Executor and have monetary compensation written into the Will.

Don't take a hammer to crack a nut.

I am regarded as wealthy, but in Thailand I will only have bank accounts with up to 5/500k Baht in them.

The objective is to avoid Probate (and the relatively high cost of using a lawyer to obtain it). Mechanisms have been put in place to hopefully ensure that my partner can access/transfer any money in the bank. Two motorbikes and three cars are already in her name.

The executor is a good friend and won't get one Satang for his efforts. 

2 hours ago, thpitsch said:

I found out that you can pay for your own cremation and the spreading of the ashes in the sea in advance.

I have it written in my Thai will that I wish to be cremated in the Buddhist fashion. My wife has even gone to a local temple and got an estimate. 555 apparently it's about 50k but food and booze obviously extra.

Hope they don't charge by the kilo because I'm up a couple this last year.

• Thumbs Up 1

On a side note, I have noticed many people concerned about passing actually make a big deal of things under the guise of making it easier for family with all kinds of wills, letters, etc. I had a relative do this. It was an ongoing issue. Odd thing was, when they passed the arrangements were actually not a big deal and it was not because they arranged things well. If anything, it made it more difficult. Family just pulled together and took care of it and on with life. Sometimes it's about people trying to hold on to things, or control something that's not controllable, and being afraid to let go, more then being a burden.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

If I was you?  My goal is to make my passing as easy as possible for those back home and here in Thailand, emotionally and financially.

First - You need two Last Wills and Testaments: one to cover your assets and your wishes for the deposition of your body as well as your physical assets.  Personally I'd do a cost-benefit analysis and contact my family members.  The 64,000 dollar question is: "Do your relatives want your remains?  Take them into account also.  If they do, well, ask why and see if they plan to contribute to shipping you're ashes "home."  Your plans should include family members in your home country who may care about a final ceremony for your life, but funerals are for the dead.  If they wish a funeral for you, then arrange it now including the cost.  Fyi.  You can do this all up-front.  Buy a cheap wooden casket which you can buy at a temple for ฿500 to ฿1000 THB.  Arrange with the temple's abbot for the ceremony.  The ceremony is free other than "tipping" the temple, the abbot, and the monks who will send you on your way with a simple Buddhist funeral (gaan sop).  Thai funerals CAN BE pricey affairs, but it is a personal choice.  Most Thai villages have "death funds" that you pay into from birth and by the time you die, that fund can be upwards of 200,000 THB or more.  Many people want the fancy funeral.  I don't.  My wife doesn't. When you're dead?  You're dead.  Nothing more than organic material under decomposition. Physically - you are gone gone gone.   What's left if nothing more then a slowly rotting meat-bone-and-sinew-log.  So if I die my wife knows my wishes - drop me in a 500 THB box, hold a simple funeral chanting ceremony ASAP, generously "tip" the monks, burn me ASAP, toss the chunks that don't burn well into the river, and then? 

Have A Freaking Party!!!!!

Understand that the Thai government CAN make it a PITA by demanding an autopsy, which of course, "you'll pay for farang" (or your estate).
But me personally?  It's in my Thai Will and Testament, and Advance Directive.  It's simple: Burn me at the village crematorium and toss whatever is left in the nearest river.  Bada-Bing, Bada-Boom.

Second - You need a second Last Will and Testament for the disposition of your assets in your home country.  Should you happen to be in your home country when you gork, then you can also dictate the deposition of your body should you die in your home country.

Third - Well, that's combining your wishes and having someone carry out your wishes.  Don't have a partner? No one to be an executor?  Then retain a lawyer to take care of all the end-of-life legwork.  Like, you're dead, so you don't need the money. 
Then just take the time to really dwell on how you want your personal possessions deposed of.  Then act on it.

Again.  Me?  I don't care if I'm dead.  Those of us who plan ahead are just trying to make it easier on those whom may feel responsible for our final 'resting' place.

I want the least hassle for my families and friends.  Plus -Really?  Funerals don't mean s**t to me.  I cremated my daughter when she was 18. That completely changed how I view death, dying, and the societal rituals and extreme expense that is marketed to those who are grieving.  You don't want to belong to that club - the dead daughter-club, or dead son-club.   It destroys you from the inside and you never heal.  Ever.  But?  It does leave you with a healthy attitude toward your own eventual passing.  My daughter died at 18.  In comparison, my life if meaningless.  I've outlived her by 54 years.

When I'm dead?  I'm dead.  Depose of the body ASAP, have a party ASAP, then forget me.  Considering my only-child is dead, I have no legacy, so...................  I don't GAF.  That may seem callous but it is not.  It's dealing with reality.

Thanks

21 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

On a side note, I have noticed many people concerned about passing actually make a big deal of things under the guise of making it easier for family with all kinds of wills, letters, etc. I had a relative do this. It was an ongoing issue. Odd thing was, when they passed the arrangements were actually not a big deal and it was not because they arranged things well. If anything, it made it more difficult. Family just pulled together and took care of it and on with life. Sometimes it's about people trying to hold on to things, or control something that's not controllable, and being afraid to let go, more then being a burden.

Ok.  Don't do anything.

Basically you need to make a will with your wishes.  You can have an attorney do it in Thailand .  And you should also discuss this with your family.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

Basically you need to make a will with your wishes.  You can have an attorney do it in Thailand .  And you should also discuss this with your family.  

Maybe tell them there is a will but not what's in it. I had a family member try to divy it up early and it setup a power struggle within the family before they passed, not so much afterwards.

I always recommend doing the will, but not saying anything about it beforehand. Once people start squabbling it's hard to stop. One person wants more for caring for your affairs, etc. while the other expects an equal share when they do nothing. Each family is different though.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, berro said:

Did you let your Will made in Thailand?

If so, what were the costs, about?

Make your own will. Enough templates available on internet. Then go to your Amphur and ask for directions for registering.

You will need two witnesses and a person that will hold a legal document to have the Amphur open the testament.

Oh, and don't forget to take 20 Baht.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Don't take a hammer to crack a nut.

I am regarded as wealthy, but in Thailand I will only have bank accounts with up to 5/500k Baht in them.

The objective is to avoid Probate (and the relatively high cost of using a lawyer to obtain it). Mechanisms have been put in place to hopefully ensure that my partner can access/transfer any money in the bank. Two motorbikes and three cars are already in her name.

The executor is a good friend and won't get one Satang for his efforts. 

Agree, not necessarily easy. Farang friend (lives in LOS) agreed to be executor for friend with serious dementia problems getting worse and very serious internal problems (several cancers, all getting worse).

Issues arose when the farang who has agreed to be the executor discovered by chance that the sick person had 1). Made major changes to his will leaving all of his assets to an old g/friend who hadn't been seen for many years but had just visited the sick man when she heard he was near death (how   opportune). 2). Changed the executor to a Thai lawyer the sick man had never met but had been suggested by the opportune old g/f. 

Old g/f visited the farang executor who was holding the bank book of the sick man and demanded she take the bank book. 

Meanwhile the sick man permanently in hospital in ICU and the hospital holds an authority for hospital go to sicks man's bank (in LOS) every day to take funds to clear ICU bills for previous day. Hospital hears of the g'f's activities and quickly goes to the police and contacts the original farang executor.

Police quickly take the matter to a court and court freezes everything.

Waiting for next chapter/order from the court... and sick farang has died. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, simon43 said:

... I used to be a $ millionaire, but nowadays my total assets are probably less than 1 million baht. 

I kicked my 3 ex wives into touch yonks ago!

I see a connection between these two statements.

But more seriously, how can you have 280 one on one students? Even if you work 24/7, it means each student gets one hour with your every 11 days. More realistically, 6 hours/day, 5 days a week, each student "sees" you for one hour every 9 weeks. I don't think they can learn much.

btw, glad you enjoy Luang Prabang, I was bored there after 3 days and could not enjoy the scenery due to the constant noise from the longtail boats, but maybe it has improved.

5 hours ago, DD86 said:

Make your own will. Enough templates available on internet. Then go to your Amphur and ask for directions for registering.

You will need two witnesses and a person that will hold a legal document to have the Amphur open the testament.

Oh, and don't forget to take 20 Baht.

Making your own will in a foreign land, just sounds daft to me.

why do that.  Making an official will costs pea nuts. ( lawyer )

and you don't need any Amphur, stamp or BS.

Many amphurs will tell you, ( no can do Mister) anyway.

Don't do it. it's silly. 

Ps Rules and regulations are like shifting sands in Thailand.

be careful. 

Edited by quake
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, berro said:

Did you let your Will made in Thailand?

If so, what were the costs, about?

Any attorney here can make a will. Mine cost 15,000฿ which also covers execution of Will at death and his office archives a copy.

PM me if you want details.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:17 AM, berro said:

If I die unexpectedly in Thailand, then how to make this as less of a burden for a family member in my home country, in a financial and organizational way? I don't have a partner in Thailand.

I would like to be cremated in Thailand and have the ashes sent back to my home country, or maybe scattered in Thailand.

Any recommendations and advice how to deal with this situation? What would or could it cost, approximately?

Just to add: I don't own property here in Thailand but rent a place. The amount of money on my Thai bank account is negligible.

Thanks in advance.

19 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I suggest you ring these funeral directors, to find out how much it will cost, and how you can arrange payment. where it says others you can put for example a local temple where you want to be cremated and they will sort out all paperwork needed liaising with your embassy. (recommended to me by the OZ embassy when my friend died) very professional. 

IMG_20231218_170207.thumb.jpg.168b877c656db143c1e2c8da114aedf4.jpg

Edited by brianthainess

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I forgot to add they also take the death cert. to your local Amphur, where the death Must be registered, before the body is released as in many cases your body will be sent to BKK police forensics and they will collect it from there. So for example if you want a local cremation, they first travel to your local Amphur then back to BKK to collect the body it comes with a basic coffin. The whole prosses without the cremation cost 43,000 baht. and that was to Koh Chang. my wife arranged the funeral off our friend and including food cost 1,000b per person.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wombat said:

The way I read the room is that you unexpectedly become someone else's problem 

Yes, and the goal should be to make that 'problem' as small as possible.   This can be done by doing as much advance plannng as possible.  For example, my parents bought their burial plots, headstones, and caskets so we didn't have to make, or pay for, those decisions.  They also selected the funeral company, the type of services, and paid for their funerals.   In Thailand, some of this can also be done in advance, such as choosing a cremation service and what you want done with your ashes, etc.

It's important, of course, to have a good Will to start with, with detailed instructions that cover everything that might come up.  If you want Aunt Edna to inherit your valuable stamp collection, put it in the Will.  There should be an Executor and an alternate.  Your Executor should know where to locate your Will and any other important papers that will be needed to execute the Will. 

Even though you have a Will, it's very important to sit down with the Executor and go over absolutely everything that the Executor will need to do.  This can involve having up-to-date contact information for those people who will need to be contacted.  Burial arrangements, including how they will be paid for, who you would like notified, etc.   Sometimes, a final tax return will need to be filed; the Executor will need to know how to do this, the forms and paperwork involved, how to get everything needed, etc.  Will a tax preparer be used and, if so, who?  If there is a pension or pensions, these will need to be taken care of.  If benefits will be transferred to a survivor, this needs to be handled.  What exactly needs to be done with the stock portfolio?  The mutual fund account?  The credit cards?

What bank accounts are there and what is to be done with them?  And, how?   If property is rented, how is the remainer of the lease to be handled?  And, paid for?  What about the contents?   If property is owned, what is to be done with it while the Will is being executed?  Be specific on what needs to be paid--pool guy, gardener, electric, water, etc., how they will be paid, and how much.   What services need to be cancelled and how, such as internet, Netflix, cell phone, etc.  If the property is to be sold, be specific on how that is to be done.   Is there a home safe?  What's in it and how is the Executor to access it?  Where is the rental contract, the chanote, the car/motorcyce papers, the insurance papers, etc.?  Health insurance account?

These are just some of the things that come to mind.  Obviously, every death is different and will involve its own set of tasks.  Someone dying single in Thailand with no relatives here can be more of a challenge for an Executor than someone with a surviving spouse, who often is both the Executor and an inheritor. 

Often, a Will will state something but not be specific on how that is to be done.  For example, "I leave all my money in Bangkok Bank to my son Frank, Jr.  in the US. "  Ok.  When you sit down with your Executor you want to detail how exactly he or she is to get that money to your son, starting with his up-to-date bank account information.   With the stamp collection for Aunt Edna, where is it located and how and where is it to be shipped, and insured for what amount?  The more detailed and specific you can be, the easier a time your Executor will have.   

• Like 2