Dying unexpectedly in Thailand

berro

7 hours ago, quake said:

Making your own will in a foreign land, just sounds daft to me.

why do that.  Making an official will costs pea nuts. ( lawyer )

and you don't need any Amphur, stamp or BS.

Many amphurs will tell you, ( no can do Mister) anyway.

Don't do it. it's silly. 

Ps Rules and regulations are like shifting sands in Thailand.

be careful. 

But don't take advice from the amphur staff on how to write a will / what should be / must be included, etc. The amphut staff who have this role have no legal training and no will writing training. And they will insist that

xxxxxxx must be included because 'it sounds nice' but is NOT the Thai law on this subject. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2024 at 3:51 PM, jaideedave said:

I have it written in my Thai will that I wish to be cremated in the Buddhist fashion. My wife has even gone to a local temple and got an estimate. 555 apparently it's about 50k but food and booze obviously extra.

Hope they don't charge by the kilo because I'm up a couple this last year.

A Will, will not help get your body back from autopsy, and all the docs needed, dealing with your embassy, registering your death at your local Amphur (can not be done by post), before they can release the body,  to save your wife a whole lot of stress she will need a funeral director to sort all that out, as I have stated above. Sounds like a party at home after as booze is not allowed in temples.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

I have just been involved in a cremation and having ashes returned to the U.K. cremation was simple enough your embassy would contact one of your family NOK to inform them of your demise if you died in hospital it’s a lot easier however if you die at home then the police get involved and to be honest it’s a pain in the back side that’s what happened to my friend he died at home so the police were involved so try die in hospital if you can as they organise everything even contacting your embassy to have ashes returned to the U.K. the following have to be with them

1 passport of deceased 

2 death certificate best to have        both Thai and English 

3 cremation certificate issued by the monk at the temple where cremation took place 

i haven't got a clue as to what the transport cost was as the family arranged and paid for that all I did was hand over the bones which I placed in a large Tupperware type container with lid the weight was 3.5 Kg it would be cheaper if someone was to take the ashes back with them the rule is they must be in you carry on luggage not . in your suitcase that goes in the hold I don’t know the reason . When I die I have a friend who will take care of my funeral then when I’m burnt and my ashes are put in the sea only then will people know that I’ve gone to a better place I’ve already made wills and a short video with Frank singing I did it my way !

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 1:01 PM, berro said:

Excuse my ignorance, but where to find such executors and what are their fees, about?

Make your own Will if it’s simple and have it signed all at the same time you and two independent witnesses ,the witnesses cannot not be related ie husband and wife time and date under each signature then if you want have it translated into Thai if you don’t want to do that then you can have one drawn up for about 3,000 bht if it’s more complicated then it would be more costly you can then deposit it at your local Tassaban if you want as they say in Thailand “Up To You”  I’ve already started giving my grandkids my money as your allowed to gift so much per year plus it saves any squabbling when your will is presented to them 

• Like 1

From Simon43:

There are only 3 things that my neighbours and friends need to know:

1 - I have no money

2 - The matches are in the top drawer in the kitchen

3 - After using 2) to incinerate me, bin day is on Fridays :)

Brilliant! Simple Simon Says!

'It's no bloody good looking for money!

Everything gone on money for 'honey',

Cor, strike a light! Out with the matches,

'Bye, my old flames!  Reduce me to ashes!'

• Confused 1

Although I am not a lawyer but you will have to go to a notary to submit a statement with witnesses that you wish to be cremated in Thailand ......when you die and then submit the relevant documents to your Embassy.

I am Orthodox Christian and cremation is forbidden according to the Christian Orthodox faith and the same applies to the Jewish, Muslim community.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paris333 said:

Although I am not a lawyer but you will have to go to a notary to submit a statement with witnesses that you wish to be cremated in Thailand ......when you die and then submit the relevant documents to your Embassy.

I am Orthodox Christian and cremation is forbidden according to the Christian Orthodox faith and the same applies to the Jewish, Muslim community.

You are aware that Thailand does not have international notary service as they never signed the agreement so not sure how effective that would be with your Embassy.  Perhaps if your Embassy provides such a service - but believe next of kin likely make the final call.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:37 PM, KannikaP said:

I also put that I do not want ANYONE at the after funeral party whom i have never met.

I'm not letting my executor have an after party at all. That'll keep the riff raff away.

I'm not going to be there so I'm not paying for one.

• Agree 1

On 1/12/2024 at 11:09 PM, brianthainess said:

A Will, will not help get your body back from autopsy, and all the docs needed, dealing with your embassy, registering your death at your local Amphur (can not be done by post), before they can release the body,  to save your wife a whole lot of stress she will need a funeral director to sort all that out, as I have stated above. Sounds like a party at home after as booze is not allowed in temples.

Sounds like the way to go is to die unmarried, and living alone, which would have been me. I told my NOK to refuse to deal with any bureaucracy from Thailand, ( they don't live in LOS ) as I didn't want my body returned to home country.

So they could have demands for as many documents as they like but it would have been their problem.

I don't care what happens to my body after death as I'm no longer in it.

• Agree 2

On 1/13/2024 at 11:46 AM, crazykopite said:

,the witnesses cannot not be related ie husband and wife

I take it that you mean to say that a wife cannot be a witness to a husbands will and vice versa and not (as I initially read it :smile:) that the 2 witnesses cannot be related?

The only person who cannot be a witness to a will is a person who will inherit something from that will, ie a beneficiary.  They can be relatives, but must not also be beneficiaries.

So a wife could be a witness to her husband's will, but only  if she does not inherit anything from him in the will.  Unlikely, I know.

The witnesses are there only to witness that the person signing the will is the right person.  The witnesses have no right to know the contents of the will.  They must witness the signature as it happens and then immediately themselves sign in the presence of all three people.

On 1/11/2024 at 3:18 PM, simon43 said:

1 - I have no money

3 - After using 2) to incinerate me, bin day is on Fridays :)

Life is so much more simple when you have no money and no family who cares about you! :)

I'm going with a single step, roll me into the nearest khlong, monitor lizards gotta eat, family agrees.

8 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

I'm going with a single step, roll me into the nearest khlong, monitor lizards gotta eat, family agrees.

You seem to have a very strange family.

• Haha 2

[quote]

But more seriously, how can you have 280 one on one students? Even if you work 24/7, it means each student gets one hour with your every 11 days. More realistically, 6 hours/day, 5 days a week, each student "sees" you for one hour every 9 weeks. I don't think they can learn much.

[/quote]

Some students have a lesson every day, some book a lesson every few days, some book once a week, some once a month etc. The bottom line is that I teach 7 days a week, (including Christmas Day!), and often teach late at night for students based in faraway time-zones. 

It seems that science (or at least the eccentric way that I teach it!), is popular amongst young students all over the world.

As for my death, my private medical insurance includes a death-by-any-cause payout of $10,000 USD to cover any funeral costs, (so that's an expensive box of matches!).

On 1/11/2024 at 8:50 AM, lopburi3 said:

Here is a list on US Embassy site of several experienced services with costs listed (about 30k for local cremation and paperwork/services).  Obviously you must make next of kin aware of what you want.  They can work directly with such service and should not be any issues.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/death-of-a-u-s-citizen/#collapse5

Click on financial arrangements

Only one of those four lists open and I doubt you're going to pay a Bt3,000 for shipping 150kgs corpse to the USA. 

1 hour ago, Yme said:

Only one of those four lists open and I doubt you're going to pay a Bt3,000 for shipping 150kgs corpse to the USA. 

They all open on my computer.  And my 30,000 price was for local cremation as stated in my post.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 11:57 AM, NanLaew said:

Two things needed here: a Living Will, which is a legal document that details how you prefer to receive medical treatment, or not, when you can no longer make decisions for yourself, and a Will for when you are dead and what relatives and/or friends should do. Appointing an Executor of the Will is a significant part of this. There are lawyers who can assist here, but these both need to be accepted as legal documents in Thailand and the homeland of the OP and/or Executor.

In most cases I have been told you need 2,wills 1thai 1 home country.

But there are lawyers that will help you

On 1/11/2024 at 6:18 AM, simon43 said:

1 - I have no money

3 - After using 2) to incinerate me, bin day is on Fridays :)

Life is so much more simple when you have no money and no family who cares about you! :)

Story of my life.

I once told the caretaker of the apartment block I live in that the first anyone would notice of my demise is when I dripped through the floorboards to the woman's flat below >>what's wrong with the emojis these days?<<. ROFLMAO (but it's very close to the truth ;D)

Or possibly the humming sound drifting down the stairwell from the extended family of flies devouring me and using as a breeding ground.

On 1/15/2024 at 10:41 AM, wombat said:

Dying unexpectedly in Thailand makes me someone else's problem

Yeah, kind of. But my body's served me well and I'm quite fond of it for all its flaws. We've been through a helluva lot together (like Roy Batty 555) and I think of it very tenderly and gratefully. It's served me and others extremely well. I like to think it'll be treated with respect when I have to vacate, and I'm fairly sure it will. Like Simon 43 I also have med coverage that includes funeral stuff.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...