Dying unexpectedly in Thailand

berro

If I die unexpectedly in Thailand, then how to make this as less of a burden for a family member in my home country, in a financial and organizational way? I don't have a partner in Thailand.

I would like to be cremated in Thailand and have the ashes sent back to my home country, or maybe scattered in Thailand.

Any recommendations and advice how to deal with this situation? What would or could it cost, approximately?

Just to add: I don't own property here in Thailand but rent a place. The amount of money on my Thai bank account is negligible.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, berro said:

If I die unexpectedly in Thailand, then how to make this as less of a burden for a family member in my home country, in a financial and organizational way? I don't have a partner in Thailand.

I would like to be cremated in Thailand and have the ashes sent back to my home country, or maybe scattered in Thailand.

Any recommendations and advice how to deal with this situation? What would or could it cost, approximately?

Just to add: I don't own property here in Thailand but rent a place. The amount of money on my Thai bank account is negligible.

Thanks in advance.

Berro, I put it in my will that I wanted to be cremated in Thailand. I noted that they should hold the funeral in the event that my sons wanted to come to the send off.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two things needed here: a Living Will, which is a legal document that details how you prefer to receive medical treatment, or not, when you can no longer make decisions for yourself, and a Will for when you are dead and what relatives and/or friends should do. Appointing an Executor of the Will is a significant part of this. There are lawyers who can assist here, but these both need to be accepted as legal documents in Thailand and the homeland of the OP and/or Executor.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Have you asked your sons? Is there any reason why they would want to come?  What if you die in another country?

I had these discussions with my daughters a few years back..............No, they have no wish to attend the cremation (in itself very difficult because the Thais don't hang about lighting up that fire). No, they do not want my ashes sent back to the UK (they believe that I as I have chosen Thailand as my home, it is right that I should be cremated there). My Will states that I wish to be cremated in the country in which I die  -  saves any ridiculous repatriation costs.

When I am dead, I am dead, and my daughters share my belief that life is for the living.

My Will also allocates GBP 1,000 for a 'family' celebration of my life and a small memorial (if they want one) at my UK crematorium.

Did you let your Will made in Thailand?

If so, what were the costs, about?

6 minutes ago, simon43 said:

On the contrary, I realised many years ago that money does not buy happiness.  I used to be a $ millionaire, but nowadays my total assets are probably less than 1 million baht.  Has that made me want to top my self?  Absolutely not!!

I have more than enough money for my needs, including renting a big house and garden, paying for private medical insurance etc etc.  I have zero debts and no liabilities.  I live in a beautiful and cheap location (Luang Prabang) and have to pay no personal tax, no council tax etc etc.  My daily spend on food, petrol etc is less than 500 baht. I have an enjoyable hobby (ham radio) and have a daily income from teaching science online (I have about 280 private 1-1 students across the world).  My health is reasonably good and I kicked my 3 ex wives into touch yonks ago!

Given all the above, who should top themselves?  Me or you? :)

Totally agree what you mention here and especially towards getting older, you realise the relativity of life.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

On the contrary, I realised many years ago that money does not buy happiness.  I used to be a $ millionaire, but nowadays my total assets are probably less than 1 million baht.  Has that made me want to top my self?  Absolutely not!!

I have more than enough money for my needs, including renting a big house and garden, paying for private medical insurance etc etc.  I have zero debts and no liabilities.  I live in a beautiful and cheap location (Luang Prabang) and have to pay no personal tax, no council tax etc etc.  My daily spend on food, petrol etc is less than 500 baht. I have an enjoyable hobby (ham radio) and have a daily income from teaching science online (I have about 280 private 1-1 students across the world).  My health is reasonably good and I kicked my 3 ex wives into touch yonks ago!

Certainly not me.

Your apparent bleating in your earlier post seems a bit redundant now you have changed from "I have no money...".

Live well.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You might as well top yourself....................you don't seem to have much to live for.

He's got a good sense of humour, that's a bonus  !.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Cost me nothing, I drew it up myself. A half page document duly signed and witnessed, with a Thai based executor.

Excuse my ignorance, but where to find such executors and what are their fees, about?

4 hours ago, berro said:

Thanks in advance.

Do you have legal/valid will in Thailand?

Do you have a legal/valid will in your original country?

55 minutes ago, simon43 said:

There are only 3 things that my neighbours and friends need to know:

1 - I have no money

2 - The matches are in the top drawer in the kitchen

3 - After using 2) to incinerate me, bin day is on Fridays :)

Life is so much more simple when you have no money and no family who cares about you! :)

I like to think there are people who will mourn my passing, while rejoicing I have left them something.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Cost me nothing, I drew it up myself. A half page document duly signed and witnessed, with a Thai based executor.

Did you remember to register it at the Amphur?

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

anyone that believes their embassy will take care of things seems a bit naive. 

Embassies do what they are obligated to do, they advise the family in the home country of the death and if they then need any advice, they provide it.   Embassies are not there to arrange funerals.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to get a long-term visa for Laos? I am getting a bit tired of the Thai BS, including the latest tax changes.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, CFCol said:

Did you remember to register it at the Amphur?

Not necessary.

To register at the amphur I would not be able to understand what the Will said as it has to be in Thai.

The Will is only a backup for my partner in case she cannot access/remove my bank funds in the manner we have planned ie online.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, thpitsch said:

I found out that you can pay for your own cremation and the spreading of the ashes in the sea in advance.

Could you elaborate a bit on that?