Transferring small amounts from Bangkok Bank to my UK HSBC bank account – any suggestions .

I have a long standing UK HSBC bank account and to keep it active I need to transfer / deposit an amount into that bank account on a fairly regular basis . I’m not talking about a large amount of money , may be 1,000 Baht a time. I have no living relatives or friends back in the UK .

Can any one recommend the best way / cheapest to make these small transfers .

Thanks .

Can you open an account with one of the online banks like Starling or Monzo? (You will need a UK mobile number. Giff Gaff will send a SIM to Thailand if you need one.) Then, you can cycle money back and forth between the UK accounts without having to pay any fees. Alternatively, can you open a savings account with HSBC? Transfer a sum (10k Baht, etc.), and then move that back and forth between the current and savings account.

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...

I'm still trying to find a simple way of sending small amounts of money ( 1,000 Baht ) to my UK HSBC bank account ( to keep it active ) I have just installed the Bangkok Bank app on my Android phone, and I can now log into my Thai Bangkok Bank savings account . Ive noticed that in the Bangkok Bank Android app , there's an option to send money abroad. Ive not yet tried that option ( just in case I get it wrong ) Now I'm Just wondering if any one here also has the Bangkok Bank app on their mobile phone and has used the ''  send money abroad '' option from their mobile phone. 

Also on the internet web page for Bangkok Bank , which I can log into , to see my Bangkok Bank savings account , there does not seen an option to send money abroad.

Tom

43 minutes ago, n00dle said:

wise

Just checked the Wise web site and its saying that sending Thai Baht to Europe is not possible . ( unless I've got it wrong some how ) .

Tom

Wise1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomgreen said:

I'm still trying to find a simple way of sending small amounts of money ( 1,000 Baht ) to my UK HSBC bank account ( to keep it active ) I have just installed the Bangkok Bank app on my Android phone, and I can now log into my Thai Bangkok Bank savings account . Ive noticed that in the Bangkok Bank Android app , there's an option to send money abroad. Ive not yet tried that option ( just in case I get it wrong ) Now I'm Just wondering if any one here also has the Bangkok Bank app on their mobile phone and has used the ''  send money abroad '' option from their mobile phone. 

Also on the internet web page for Bangkok Bank , which I can log into , to see my Bangkok Bank savings account , there does not seen an option to send money abroad.

Tom

Do you not have to be pre cleared for this and meet certain criteria, eg work permit holder?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I buy something for a dollar on Aliexpress with my HSBC debit card every month to meet this requirement.

Hi , I'm only looking for a simple way to send money ( Thai Baht ) from Thailand to my UK HSBC bank account . Ive just checked out the Wise web site and its saying that sending Thai Baht to Europe is not possible with their platform ( unless Ive got it all  wrong )

Tom

7 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Do you not have to be pre cleared for this and meet certain criteria, eg work permit holder?

Hi , Ive no idea if theres any regulation in play .

Tom

I can now log into my Thai Bangkok Bank savings account . Ive noticed that in the Bangkok Bank Android app , there's an option to send money abroad. Ive not yet tried that option ( just in case I get it wrong ) Now I'm Just wondering if any one here also has the Bangkok Bank app on their mobile phone and has used the ''  send money abroad '' option from their mobile phone. 

Yes, it does work from the BBL phone app, I have used it to send money to a third party's UK bank for a purchase.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, tomgreen said:
13 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Hi , Ive no idea if theres any regulation in play .

Using the phone app, there aren't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Using the phone app, there aren't.

I wondered about using the Bangkok Bank mobile app , I'm going to have another go opening the Bangkok Bank mobile app and see what the procedure is to send money from my Bangkok Bank savings account to my UK HSBC bank savings account , from past experience dealing with any thing Bangkok Bank related , it may be a bumpy ride 😀

Tom

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, it does work from the BBL phone app, I have used it to send money to a third party's UK bank for a purchase.

Thanks , when you used the Bangkok Bank mobile app to send money from your Bangkok Bank account to the UK , were you asked to sign up / or use a separate money transfer company like ( Wise ) , or was the transfer of money from your Bangkok Bank account all done in house by Bangkok Bank .

Tom

40 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Just checked the Wise web site and its saying that sending Thai Baht to Europe is not possible . ( unless I've got it wrong some how ) .

Tom

Wise1.jpg

As a general rule, you cannot transfer Thai Baht outside of Thailand. If you want to transfer from a Thai bank account, the banks will automatically convert the Baht, into the native currency of the receiving account. THB is a restricted currency, it is not freely convertible, overseas banks are restricted in how much THB they can hold plus the currency is not traded on the international  markets, for delivery.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

As a general rule, you cannot transfer Thai Baht outside of Thailand. If you want to transfer from a Thai bank account, the banks will automatically convert the Baht, into the native currency of the receiving account. THB is a restricted currency, it is not freely convertible, overseas banks are restricted in how much THB they can hold plus the currency is not traded on the international  markets, for delivery.

Thanks , so it looks like using a money transfer option ( Wise ) may not be possible , and the only option for me to send small amounts of money from Thailand into my UK HSBC bank account , would be directly from my Bangkok Bank account

Tom

11 minutes ago, tomgreen said:
24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thanks , when you used the Bangkok Bank mobile app to send money from your Bangkok Bank account to the UK , were you asked to sign up / or use a separate money transfer company like ( Wise ) , or was the transfer of money from your Bangkok Bank account all done in house by Bangkok Bank .

Direct SWIFT from my BBL account to the beneficiary's UK account. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Thanks , so it looks like using a money transfer option ( Wise ) may not be possible , and the only option for me to send small amounts of money from Thailand into my UK HSBC bank account , would be directly from my Bangkok Bank account

Tom

Wise can only transfer funds into Thailand, plus they do not have a BOT license to issue FET's hence it is their banking partners inside Thailand who make the actual transfer to your account.  Similarly, they do not have a BOT retail banking license nor a money transfer license to send funds out of Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Direct SWIFT from my BBL account to the beneficiary's UK account. 

Thanks, what did you have to do to make that SWIFT transfer from your Bangkok Bank account to the UK .

Tom

1 minute ago, tomgreen said:

Thanks, what did you have to do to make that SWIFT transfer from your Bangkok Bank account to the UK .

Tom

Just go into the branch and tell them you want to make a SWIFT transfer to the UK. Be prepared to prove that the funds you want to remit, have been brought into Thailand from overseas, if the remittance amount is over a certain limit. (varies from bank to bank (but shouldn't))

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Hi , I'm only looking for a simple way to send money ( Thai Baht ) from Thailand to my UK HSBC bank account . Ive just checked out the Wise web site and its saying that sending Thai Baht to Europe is not possible with their platform ( unless Ive got it all  wrong )

Tom

Sure, up to you, but I think you will find what I suggested easier and a lot cheaper than Bangkok Bank SWIFT if all you want to do is show account activity..

Edited by mokwit
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

Sure, up to you, but I think you will find what I suggested easier and a lot cheaper than Bangkok Bank SWIFT if all you want to do is show account activity..

Agreed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tom

Wise1.jpg

That is correct. You cannot pay THB INTO your Wise baht balance. I did it with Bkk Bank, a bit pricey but it did the job.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/11/2024 at 4:37 PM, tomgreen said:

I have a long standing UK HSBC bank account and to keep it active I need to transfer / deposit an amount into that bank account on a fairly regular basis . I’m not talking about a large amount of money , may be 1,000 Baht a time. I have no living relatives or friends back in the UK .

Can any one recommend the best way / cheapest to make these small transfers .

Thanks .

Have you got a UK Credit Card? Use that.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Just go into the branch and tell them you want to make a SWIFT transfer to the UK. Be prepared to prove that the funds you want to remit, have been brought into Thailand from overseas, if the remittance amount is over a certain limit. (varies from bank to bank (but shouldn't))

Thanks, I'm only looking at sending small amounts ( 1,000 Baht ) to my UK HSBC bank to keep it active , so may be the SWIFT procedure may not be worth all the trouble for a 1,000  Baht every few months.

Tom 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Deemoney, easy, in my HSBC UK in around 12hrs.

Hi and thanks , I'm going to check them out 👍

Tom

• Like 1
  • Agree 1