Mail from the USA

riclag

On 1/13/2024 at 8:28 AM, sirineou said:

To view and or interact with many US websites you need a VPN. to make it look like you ae there.

I often use Venmo to move money around the US , if I forget to change my VPN location to one in the US it does not work. Then I change VPN to Miami and it works fine. I have Capital One credit card and have no problems interacting with and maintaining it from Thailand via a VPN. I like the Capitol One card I have because there is no annual fee, and the do not charge international transaction fees . We often travel to countries other than the US and Thailand where we are. 

Citibank will not allow you to log on to their website if you are using a VPN. Somehow they can detect that a VPN has been activated. It is for security reasons because the bank doesn't know exactly where the person attempting to log on is actually located. I appreciate the fact that Citibank is acting to protect my money from people who may be trying to misappropriate it. However, I can and do log in to my investment accounts using a VPN without any problems. It seems that the investment companies are not as diligent in watching over my money as Citibank is.

On 1/13/2024 at 10:25 PM, LikeItHot said:

And with that news I'm switching all my accounts from Chase (the bane of expats) to BOA.  Can I assume that they also are comfortable using your Thai phone number.  I've had horrible times trying to use US bank apps here because they constantly require sending text confirmation numbers and don't have the ability to use my foreign phone number.  Please advise. Thanks.

As noted by an individual earlier in this thread; BOA has my Thai address as my mailing address and sends my replacement cards to the Thai address. In order to make online swift transfers I use a FIDO USB key (for security) and to get around the SMS text issue as I have no U.S. phone number, the BOA associate you are talking to can send you the verification via the BOA APP on your tablet or phone. I have no issue with banking with BOA.