Do i need a degree to teach in high school ?

9 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Yes, in Isaan.

Meaning, I have taught in Thai government Mathayom schools that have run French programs, but although I live in Issan, have never worked here .. You also mentioned German too, which I agree with - Many posters think that English and Chinese are the only foreign languages that are taught here. I think we are on the same page.

Edited by recom273

No you don't.  But the teacher agencies will threaten to report you to the police on a weekly basis.  Feel like a day off?  We will report you.  3 minutes late?  We will call the cops on you final warning!  They also treat you like dog<deleted>e.  You will be in work an hour before anyone else for the ceremonies and gate duty.

Edited by Chris Daley

24 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

No you don't.  But the teacher agencies will threaten to report you to the police on a weekly basis.  Feel like a day off?  We will report you.  3 minutes late?  We will call the cops on you final warning!  They also treat you like dog<deleted>e.  You will be in work an hour before anyone else for the ceremonies and gate duty.

Maybe the agency you worked for.

Not all should tarred with the same brush.

42 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Meaning, I have taught in Thai government Mathayom schools that have run French programs, but although I live in Issan, have never worked here .. You also mentioned German too, which I agree with - Many posters think that English and Chinese are the only foreign languages that are taught here. I think we are on the same page.

You suggested there was no demand for foreign teachers in Isaan other than for teaching English.

My experience tells me different.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:28 AM, oxo1947 said:

So many Non Native English speakers --teaching the English Language to kids................... Amazing Thailand.

No you dont need a degree steph83....but will probably get lower pay rate--- still many wanna be teachers wanted up country...Issan etc.

Usually get Accommodation thrown in.

And where did you get that totally wrong and stupid info from?

• Agree 1

It probably depends on location.

My wife had always worked with children but did not have a degree.

Back when Noah was a lad and English speaking schools started to open here on Samui, she was asked to teach young kids because of her experience with children.

She enrolled on a 'distance learning' teaching course based in the UK. Sorry, no idea which one.

That qualification enabled her to obtain a 'teaching licence' and to be able to teach in any school in Thailand. Just before she died, she was promoted to head teacher.

Still no degree but she had been teaching for 15 years by then.

Edited by Tropicalevo

10 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You suggested there was no demand for foreign teachers in Isaan other than for teaching English.

My experience tells me different.

What? I am agreeing with you. 

I taught in Thailand for over 15 years, I worked in two Mathayom schools and they both had foreign language programs which included French and Korean alongside compulsory English, but I have never taught in Issan.

After moving to Issan, a friends kid told me he has a western French teacher at his school in Khon Kaen city. 

—-

I also can’t agree with the poster who talks about agencies in a bad way. I worked for both agencies and directly with schools, the best jobs were with agencies - generally we only taught the classes we were scheduled to teach, we did “some” activity days and ceremonies whereas direct hire schools would demand more work, the teachers had to be in school at all times, unpaid weekend activity camp every term, a weekly assembly performance. Wages were the same. I would rather work for an agency with a few schools on their books. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 11:43 AM, steph83 said:

Thanks for these informations. I want to teach my native language. Cheers

You were just fed some absolute bull. To work legally in Thailand you must have a degree to get a work permit.

On 1/13/2024 at 8:24 PM, bbko said:

My son is in high school now, at his international school it's only English or Chinese. If a "better" international school is going to teach French, German, Italian, etc, I'd expect them to want their teachers to have a degree. 

I've worked at international schools, The requirements to teach are very stringent. A Masters degree is the basic starting place, and there are other qualifications as well. It's been a while so I'm not up on what is currently needed, but for the purpose of this thread, op is NOT qualified to work at any international school in LOS.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:05 AM, steph83 said:

Hi, i'm from belgium, i have an experience teaching French in my country. According to Thai low, do i need absolutely to have a degree ? Which one is asked ?

Cheers

You have to be a qualified teacher? With at least a bachelor or master degree in your subject? 

On 1/13/2024 at 8:24 PM, bbko said:

I'd expect them to want their teachers to have a degree. 

At least..

I am a [near] native French speaker, have a Masters in IT, but I couldn't picture myself teaching any of my 5 languages to a classroom full of horny idiots.

Edited by Ben Zioner

Hi, i'm from belgium, i have an experience teaching French in my country. According to Thai low, do i need absolutely to have a degree ? Which one is asked ?

Cheers

You need a TESOL certificate more than a degree.  The issue is more about where you are going to teach and what you want to teach.

If you are teaching in BKK, they will need one, but I am willing to bet that if you teach in the country, it is a different story.

Schools and agencies will hire you the issue is the quality of the school.

You may find that you can do just as well if you tutor after hours.  You possess a niche in that you are, I would assume, multilingual.    There are also colleges here in the country that can provide you with an educational degree to teach 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

You need a TESOL certificate more than a degree.  The issue is more about where you are going to teach and what you want to teach.

If you are teaching in BKK, they will need one, but I am willing to bet that if you teach in the country, it is a different story.

You may find that you can do just as well if you tutor after hours.  You possess a niche in that you are, I would assume, multilingual.    There are also colleges here in the country that can provide you with an educational degree to teach 

The rest of the country is no different to Bangkok.

If the school is governed by OBEC, a teaching licence or waiver is needed to get a work permit. To get one you need a degree.

State schools and most private, non international schools, are governed by OBEC.

A TESOL alone will get you nowhere.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The rest of the country is no different to Bangkok.

If the school is governed by OBEC, a teaching licence or waiver is needed to get a work permit. To get one you need a degree.

State schools and most private, non international schools, are governed by OBEC.

A TESOL alone will get you nowhere.

You are missing one point 

I agree to get the licence or the work permit that you need the degree and to go through the hoops, BUT I can guarantee that the rules for hiring teachers are not always upheld.  I worked in 2 different high schools and only had a TESOL degree.  

There are schools and agencies one is near Victory Monument that will hire and use anyone they can get.

Just now, kingstonkid said:

You are missing one point 

I agree to get the licence or the work permit that you need the degree and to go through the hoops, BUT I can guarantee that the rules for hiring teachers are not always upheld.  I worked in 2 different high schools and only had a TESOL degree.  

There are schools and agencies one is near Victory Monument that will hire and use anyone they can get.

The issue here, I believe, is teaching legally.

I have pointed out how it needs to be done.

You say you have a TESOL degree. That will suffice. I believe the minimum level of degree is TESOL is MA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

thanks, i would like to teach at Mukhahan (Isaan). Are you sure i can get the proper visa with a tesol ?

12 minutes ago, steph83 said:

thanks, i would like to teach at Mukhahan (Isaan). Are you sure i can get the proper visa with a tesol ?

I did not say you could get the proper visa your question was do I need a degree to teach.  

2 different things.

If you are looking to get a work pernti to teach then you need to have a non o visa.  

Getting the proper visa is different a you need a non O and then you would need a work permit to teach that the school would have to arrange.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I did not say you could get the proper visa your question was do I need a degree to teach.  

2 different things.

If you are looking to get a work pernti to teach then you need to have a non o visa.  

Getting the proper visa is different a you need a non O and then you would need a work permit to teach that the school would have to arrange.

Non B.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cheers

are you a  real teacher in Belgique ?

22 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Stop talking b$#@%kS.

Teacher Agencies will take anyone.  They bribe the police and put fake stamps in your passport.  The fake stamps just show that you have a work permit.  But the entire permit is fraudulent.  They don't follow the usual process they have direct connections with the cops.

You don't need f all to teach in Thailand.

20 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

Teacher Agencies will take anyone.  They bribe the police and put fake stamps in your passport.  The fake stamps just show that you have a work permit.  But the entire permit is fraudulent.  They don't follow the usual process they have direct connections with the cops.

You don't need f all to teach in Thailand.

Firstly, police have nothing to do with it.

Secondly, stamps in passport have nothing to do with a work permit.

Thirdly, you say "don't need F all". That means you do need something. Double negative, and you're a teacher?

• Like 1