20.5% fewer passengers on BTS extensions after start of fare collection

webfact

image.jpeg

The number of people using the two extensions of BTS Green Line train service has dropped by about 20.5%, from 340,000 to 270,000 a day, since the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) started collecting fares on January 2nd.

According to a well-informed source in the BMA, about 250,000 passengers used the Mor Chit-Khu Khot extension and about 90,000 used the Baring-Kheha extension per day during the free ride period. After the imposition of the 15-baht fare on each of the two extensions, however, the number dropped to about 200,000 and 70,000 per day respectively.

The BMA has, however, managed to collect at least four million baht per day in fares.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

After the imposition of the 15-baht fare on each of the two extensions, however, the number dropped to about 200,000 and 70,000 per day respectively.

So 20% cannot afford or don't wish to pay 15 baht but now have to pay to travel by another method?

Doesn't make sense... maybe Thai logic at work again.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So 20% cannot afford or don't wish to pay 15 baht but now have to pay to travel by another method?

Doesn't make sense... maybe Thai logic at work again.

People get upset that there is an increase, but eventually, I think they will find that it is still the fastest and cheapest way to go.  Also, remember that the first week was the NY, so ridership for a couple of days was down.  

I think weekends could be affected but people are still going to use it to get to work.

I did, though, notice last week that it was easier to get a seat at Khu KLhot at 6 and usually have to wait for 2 trains.

If raising the fair makes it easier to get a seat then HELL I am all for it.

• Like 1