Stay in Thailand for at least one year

I would like to come back to Thailand and stay there for at least one year. What are my visa options? It would be possible to stay for one year with a tourist visa? For example with some border run, tourist visa to the Thai embassy at some neighboring country like Laos Vientiane ecc... I still can't apply for a retired visa

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Trippy said:

As long as you fly in and out, tourist visas shouldn't be a problem. But be prepared to file a Thai tax return if you stay over 6 months in a calendar year.

Thai tax? Why?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Trippy said:

You become a tax resident if you are in Thailand over 6 months. Many ongoing topics covering this. 

Is this only with a tourist visa or also with other type of visas? I've never heard about that before 

Edited by Jack1988
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Is this only with a tourist visa or also with other type of visas? I've never heard about that before 

Just started this year. I think it's with all visas.

Edited by Trippy
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jack1988 said:

This is ridiculous 

Yes, but it's their country, their rules. If you plan it out right, can stay from July-June, less than 180 days per year, don't have to file.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So you believe. 

OP, one option would be a METV obtained in your own country that provides up to 9 months along with some visa exempt land border entries with extensions 

I never did a METV before. How does it works? Do I have to exit Thailand every 2 or 3 months?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Rubbish. You only need to file a tax return if you are resident in Thailand >180 days and earn more than 120,000 baht Thai asessible income

I thought it was 150,000 but I never worried too much. Just paid my tax on a minimum of 50,000 a month.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

So isn't true this story about Thai tax

It is true. Why would you want to avoid your legal tax obligations under Thai law?

Anyway your country probably has a tax equalization agreement with Thailand.

Unless you have extremely large overseas income streams you wont owe much, or nothing at all.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

It is true. Why would you want to avoid your legal tax obligations under Thai law?

Anyway your country probably has a tax equalization agreement with Thailand.

Unless you have extremely large overseas income streams you wont owe much, or nothing at all.

Foreigners come to live in Thailand also for not pay tax. Why should I pay? I can stay at my country then, Thailand is being too expensive. I want to avoid to give my money to the thai government 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Foreigners come to live in Thailand also for not pay tax. Why should I pay? I can stay at my country then, Thailand is being too expensive. I want to avoid to give my money to the thai government 

Don't worry about the tax. A new rule came in about people earning overseas income while living in Thailand would need to pay tax but no-one knows what it means for retired people.

You'd be on tourist visa's not doing 90 day residence reports and not working so no way would you need to file a tax return. As I said earlier no-one has to even submit a tax return if earning <120k baht, not even a Thai citizen (tax starts when assessable income >150k baht)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

I do not spend 180 days in any country, so for me no concern for now.

I pay a shedload of tax to the US no matter where I hang my hat already too.

Captain Monday - ”Constant International Travel”

Some posts and replies contravening our Community Standards have been removed:

• Please post accurate and helpful information
  • Do not post about illegal activities
  • Post in a truthful manner and do not post defamatory comments
  • Please be polite and respectful to others
  • Do not flame, troll or stalk other members

8 hours ago, mokwit said:

This is exactly what the authorities are trying to prevent. Good luck.

Every time I browse though TikTok these days, it seems its full of people in their 20/30s saying they are moving to Thailand

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Seppius said:

Every time I browse though TikTok these days, it seems its full of people in their 20/30s saying they are moving to Thailand

Yes but they are all digital nomads making enough from blogging to pay for an elite visa - or more likely they have not researched the visa situation, extrapolating how easy it is to stay short term to the long term.

1 hour ago, Seppius said:

The fact that Thailand has not created a visa for these people is telling. There is no 'hang out in reggar themed bars in Chiangmai wearing elephant pants' long stay visa.

Edited by mokwit
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1