Police officer involved in fatal road accident causing female doctor’s death gets 10-year sentence

webfact

12 minutes ago, mr_lob said:

The a*hole who killed one of our drivers and 2 French customers because of his dangerous driving received a 5000 baht fine and no jail time. Fair? 

You do not give details of the incident or a view of where the blame lies. It can therefore be assumed, from the penalty, that the poor souls who lost their lives were at fault.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, proton said:

How long if she had been a Cambodian cleaner? or Thai noodle seller?

Also, how long if he had been a senior police officer or son of (fill in a hi-so name)?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, tonypattaya said:
1 hour ago, mr_lob said:

The a*hole who killed one of our drivers and 2 French customers because of his dangerous driving received a 5000 baht fine and no jail time. Fair? 

You do not give details of the incident or a view of where the blame lies. It can therefore be assumed, from the penalty, that the poor souls who lost their lives were at fault.

That depends on how bias your Thai Apologist attitudes are...    It could also be assumed that Thailands justice system is horrifically unequal...   As the question earlier... "what if she had been a Cambodian cleaner? or Thai noodle seller?"....

But, I also agree - there needs to be details included in the above 'killed 2 french customers' comment for us to accurately evaluate the balance. 

Obviously this next comment can easily be contested, but, my 'speculation' is that had this incident involved a tourist or a poor Thai the attention would obviously be less as would the penalty. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, proton said:

How long if she had been a Cambodian cleaner? or Thai noodle seller?

There is some data on this. A rich guy's son did a hit and run on a female Cambodian migrant worker in his sports car. The woman was decapitated by the impact and her torso went through the windscreen and ended up in the passenger seat.  Still the rich kid didn't stop and drove off with a shattered windscreen and the headless corpse of the woman for company in his passenger seat.  I am pretty sure he got a light sentence.   

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, tonypattaya said:

They were absolutely NOT at fault! The truck was 7.5 tonne size, he was speeding, undertaking, then lost control and crossed the central reservation, hitting our SUV head on. I have it all on dashcam. 

The penalty, sir, speaks volumes for yet another miscarriage of justice, which happen here daily.

The coppers actually told me when i asked how long the driver would get that the court was very sympathetic to the driver *song-saan*. And for the families he destroyed? Disgusting.

• Agree 1