Haiter, is it really bleach ?

Daffy D

20 hours ago, Daffy D said:

So I'm trying to remove some mold from the mastic beading along the back of the sink.

Put on some bleach, cover with some rolled up loo paper add more bleach leave overnight and the mold will be gone. :whistling:

This used to work in Farang land but not here.

I use Haiter, which I have always believed to be bleach, but it does not remove the mold.

Any ideas why Haiter does not work in this case?

Is it actually a bleach and what's the difference with various colored bottles ?

We use the pink bottles if it matters. 

Thanks

:wacko:

Copper sulphate (CuSO4) is good for killing mold. Mix the blue crystalline with water. Next time you renovate or build a house mix zinc oxide in the mortar 

I never maintained a swimming pool in Thailand, so I don't know what's available here.  But in the USA, I generally bought swimming pool bleach for outdoor use and mold cleaning.  Twice the strength of Clorox and about the same price per gallon.  Even cheaper if you buy it in bulk at a swimming pool supply shop.

Here's the Walmart (USA) version:  10% Sodium Hypochlorite.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pool-Essentials-Chlorinating-Liquid-for-Swimming-Pools-2-Pack

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

I never maintained a swimming pool in Thailand, so I don't know what's available here.  But in the USA, I generally bought swimming pool bleach for outdoor use and mold cleaning.  Twice the strength of Clorox and about the same price per gallon.  Even cheaper if you buy it in bulk at a swimming pool supply shop.

Here's the Walmart (USA) version:  10% Sodium Hypochlorite.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pool-Essentials-Chlorinating-Liquid-for-Swimming-Pools-2-Pack

I pay around 350bt for 20 litres.

Dilute 1:4 and use on already pressure washed areas, this will double the time to the next needed pressure wash.  Alternatively use just as the black mould starts to appear and no need to pressure wash.  Apply just as the sun goes down and hope for rain 2 or more hours later.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OK.

When you are right...you are right....and....I am wrong.

Therefore, thank you for your clarification.

I will continue to buy Haiter, based on your information.

STILL....I think it is too expensive.  WHY?  I think that most people here do not understand that this product should be very cheap, based on cost of production, packaging, shipping, and distribution.

I will not return home, even if I had another home outside Thailand to return to, just because Makro is beyond my means when purchased at more expensive stores.  Instead, I will take your advice and purchase it at Makro.  And, why don't they give us a discount by packaging this product in 4 liter (litre) jugs?  Can you answer me this?

FFS !

21 hours ago, connda said:

Sodium Hypochlorite.  I.e., bleach.

Yes, Hypochlorite is a bleach, but is comes in different strengths. For full strength it has to be 14 grains per gallon (UK)

Also bleach is NOT a stain remover, it is an optical whitener.

16 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OK.

When you are right...you are right....and....I am wrong.

Therefore, thank you for your clarification.

I will continue to buy Haiter, based on your information.

STILL....I think it is too expensive.  WHY?  I think that most people here do not understand that this product should be very cheap, based on cost of production, packaging, shipping, and distribution.

I will not return home, even if I had another home outside Thailand to return to, just because Makro is beyond my means when purchased at more expensive stores.  Instead, I will take your advice and purchase it at Makro.  And, why don't they give us a discount by packaging this product in 4 liter (litre) jugs?  Can you answer me this?

Haiter is available in 5 liter cans, and also 10 liter.

The mastic/plastic is old and has micro-cracks in it. The Haiter cleans the surface but not the mould growing inside the mastic. Only remedy is to replace the mastic with new stuff, that has an anti-mould additive.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thank you.

Next time, I will buy the 10-liter container.

Good info!

Yes , good idea to buy in bulk , if it is not effective for the purpose you intend to use it for , at least you can rest assured that you will be protected from contracting covid-19 for many years to come..:cheesy:

Edited by a3tsw
Spelling error

On 1/18/2024 at 11:14 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

I have, for many years, been looking here for CLOROX BLEACH, at a cheap price, just like it is available in North America.

I prefer Clorox Bleach, also.  Until about a year ago, it was available at a couple of the supermarkets in Pattaya.  Then, seemed to disappear.

A now buy Clorox Bleach from Lazada.  The 2-liter bottle is around 170 Baht + delivery.