Changing from work permit to retirement extension

So my current contract is ending of 31 Jan and the company will end the work permit and cancel that extension of stay 

The agent that does the work told me she can get the stamp few days earlier, but the last day to leave Thailand will be 31st Jan.

So here is my plan:

I booked a ticket to Phnom Penh and back and did the online e-visa for Cambodia.

The plan is to do 8 days of vacation in Cambodia and apply for the Non O immigrant O visa at the Phnom Penh Thai embassy

It might take 5 working days and as far as I can see there are no holidays.. 

The required 800,000 THB was parked in a separate bank account few months ago, from salary paid in Thailand, not from abroad.

The other requirements below are easy enough as listed on the website,  with my only question being what can be included in point 5 

(I am over 50 as well)

Required Documents

1. Visa application form completely filled out and signed
  2. Photograph (size 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm) taken within the last 6 months
  3. Passport (valid for no less than 6 months) and a copy of the passport (Please note that the applicant must be at least 50 years of age and no longer employed.)
  4. Financial evidence of at least 800,000 Thai Baht or 65,000 Thai Baht per month in income or retirement funds (or equivalent in any currency)
  5. ???Other documents as may be requested by the consular officer????

I know I can go to Laos or Vietnam, but I like to visit Cambodia and hope that with no previous history this application will not be a problem 
What I will bring: Passport, pictures, application form (if I can find it), Bank book and/or letter of the bank (Bangkok bank), Yellow book (address of my own condo) 

Please add anything I missed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I just did exactly the same as you.

Beware of one item. The 800K in the bank MUST be shown to come from outside Thailand.

Like you, I had saved the 800K from work. I was required to move the money to the US, then back to Thailand.

I was offered a "work around" for this, but it cost 15,000 THB, which was more than I would lose on the exchange.

The other thing that the IO made difficult was my lease. They were very picky about that, and forced me to provide

the blue book of the owner, deed to the property, as well as their Thai ID.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for that, I did not export and then import the 800,000 THB.

There is enough time, so I will do that, but it will cost a bit.

Still best to be safe and 100% correct.

As I bought the condo I have the yellow book

• Thumbs Up 1

You do not need to leave the country, just go to immigration and apply for new extension of stay based on retirement. The 800k must have been transferred from abroad, can be several years ago or just now, but if recently it must have been in your bank account for 2 months. If you have not done that in the past do it now and request a 60 day temporary extension from immigration. The clock starts on the day the money arrives in your bank account from abroad, how much was in your account before does not matter.

This process works in Hua Hin (I did just that several years ago), but you might want to check the procedure with your immigration office.

• Haha 1

I did this a few years ago. I didn't need to import the 800k from abroad, I didn't need to leave Thailand. This was CM. Caveat: the moment you (or your company) cancel the WP, your non-imm B becomes automatically void, so it is important to do all in the same day, no problem in my case. Especially if you use an agent as it seems.

On 1/19/2024 at 1:06 PM, timendres said:

Beware of one item. The 800K in the bank MUST be shown to come from outside Thailand.

Like you, I had saved the 800K from work. I was required to move the money to the US, then back to Thailand.

I was offered a "work around" for this, but it cost 15,000 THB, which was more than I would lose on the exchange.

The other thing that the IO made difficult was my lease. They were very picky about that, and forced me to provide

I was not aware of any requirement for the 800,000 baht to be shown to come from  abroad and never had to do it in the past.
I have not had to do it abroad since over 10 years.
Can you please confirm which country's embassy requires it.

I’m in a similar situation. Work permit until around end of March then retirement.

Renting a condo. Over 60 years old.

Don’t want to “park “ 800,000 baht in Thai bank, but prefer to keep it invested.

For 1st time applicants, do I need to show 1 year of transfers (using Wise) or will 3 months be ok for 1st time

using Bangkok immigration office.(don’t beed to leave country-right?)

Medical insurance needed? (But I want to have it)

I believe the cancellation paperwork will be done a couple weeks in advance. Can I got to immigration early with the paperwork showing the date my work permit (and therefore extension of stay) will be cancelled.

6 hours ago, jojothai said:

I was not aware of any requirement for the 800,000 baht to be shown to come from  abroad and never had to do it in the past.
I have not had to do it abroad since over 10 years.
Can you please confirm which country's embassy requires it.

No embassy involved. The first time that you apply for the retirement extension, based on 800K in the bank, you will be asked to show "Credit Advice" statements (they show the details of a bank transfer) from Bangkok Bank demonstrating that the funds arrived in Thailand from a bank outside Thailand - expected to be your home country. In my case, they demanded a Credit Advice statement from the originating bank, as well as Bangkok Bank, which is ridiculous, since the Bangkok Bank Credit Advice showed the originating bank. I am sure that these demands fluctuate, but as of one month ago, this is what Chaeng Watthana was requesting.

On 1/19/2024 at 1:06 PM, timendres said:

If you had to show the 800k came from abroad and dealt with an immigration officer, you totally did NOT do the same as the OP, you got an in country visa, the OP is applying for one at an embassy.

9 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

If you had to show the 800k came from abroad and dealt with an immigration officer, you totally did NOT do the same as the OP, you got an in country visa, the OP is applying for one at an embassy.

The visa and the extensions are two separate steps, and I was clear the information was about my extension.

Ss you say, I obtained my non-O in country at CW. However the Credit Advice was required for both the visa and the extension.