Have a good one!

2 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

It's a general way to wish others well, usually when parting/saying goodbye. It does not have to pertain to anything specific, but could. Possibly referring to anything coming up in your near future. "Have a good day/night. Have a good trip. Have a good time. Have a good day at school/work. Have a good experience. Have a good life. etc.." 

Much like the phrase, "Take it easy". What is "it"?

Too non-specific an utterance....and therefore quite useless...and more like a nervous tic.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Too non-specific an utterance....and therefore quite useless

One might argue that since it is 'non-specific', and can be used in a variety of ways, then it is actually more useful than a 'specific' utterance, which is bound by limits. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

One might argue that since it is 'non-specific', and can be used in a variety of ways, then it is actually more useful than a 'specific' utterance, which is bound by limits. 

I find the phrase offensive and tiring and JARRING....

I would rather they just say....

BYE, Guy...

or, even..

BUY, Dude!

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I find the phrase offensive and tiring and JARRING....

I would rather they just say....

BYE, Guy...

or, even..

BUY, Dude!

Wishing someone a good one can mean many things, and most understand what it means, besides you of course. When I have said it, I usually mean to have a good whatever they were about to do. A good evening, concert experience, afternoon, rest of morning, dinner, lunch, cup of coffee. Wishing someone a good "whatever" they were about to do is a lot more cordial than just saying , Bye, guy". Pretty much just like ColeBOzbourne said. It's not useless wishing anyone a good anything. it's polite. Someone with a genius level IQ should be well aware of such things. You won't hear much of anything like this in Asia. Just the sawadeekrup or sawadeeka everyone says, which can mean hello, goodbye or they are just doing it to fit in, to not appear to be rude, even if they don't care about anyone personally. Good manners are the same everywhere, even if that's over your head. And by the way, things aren't terrible in the US, and I would be there now if I could with my daughter, but have to wait awhile for the right opportunity. Things here are far worse in almost every way imaginable, especially for females.

Edited by fredwiggy