Non immigrant type O and opening bank account

Hi All,
A question regarding Non-O and bank account procedure:
If I'm entering Thailand on a Tourist Visa and would like to convert it to a one-year Retirement non-type O, how can I open a bank account to transfer the 800K? Would any bank allow me to open this account while I'm still on a tourist visa? Or first I'll get a 3-month non-type O and at that time I can open a bank account and transfer the money? TIA

I did open my bank account on a 90 day Imm-O retirement.
I think they don't want to open on a tourist visa but it is up to the branch, same have done that too.
You can actually apply for the 90 day O online in you home country before leaving, if you are in a country that support it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, ThailandNinja said:

I did open my bank account on a 90 day Imm-O retirement.
I think they don't want to open on a tourist visa but it is up to the branch, same have done that too.
You can actually apply for the 90 day O online in you home country before leaving, if you are in a country that support it.

You entered with a non O obtained from outside of Thailand.

The OP is asking about obtaining a non O in Thailand from tourist visa entry 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You entered with a non O obtained from outside of Thailand.

The OP is asking about obtaining a non O in Thailand from tourist visa entry 

No, he is asking at what visa status he can open a Thai bank account. :)

@bkkboy99

Please change font size and bold .

Re apply in Udon or Korat that may be possible.

The bank will require certificate of residence or letter from embassy.

The later depends on your pp country.

Some embassies do not provide that.

Disregard any posts re opening bank account few years back.

Things have changed.

Agents can assist.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandNinja said:

No, he is asking at what visa status he can open a Thai bank account. :)

No...

From the OP...

"I'm entering Thailand on a Tourist Visa and would like to convert it to a one-year Retirement non-type O"

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

@bkkboy99

Please change font size and bold .

Re apply in Udon or Korat that may be possible.

The bank will require certificate of residence or letter from embassy.

The later depends on your pp country.

Some embassies do not provide that.

Disregard any posts re opening bank account few years back.

Things have changed.

Agents can assist.

Sorry for that fonts size and bold. Hope it's ok now.

What you're advising here, regarding the bank, is to do it while I'm still on my Tourist visa before applying to the non-type O?

14 minutes ago, bkkboy99 said:

Sorry for that fonts size and bold. Hope it's ok now.

What you're advising here, regarding the bank, is to do it while I'm still on my Tourist visa before applying to the non-type O?

Entering visa exempt or tourist visa is a catch 22.

You need a Thai bank account in your name only to obtain a non O.

The bank wants you have a non O to open bank account.

As I posted above you may be able to obtain certificate of residence from immigration in your province. 

Alternatively your embassy can provide equivalent however some embassies do not.

USA, UK, AU to name 3. Agents can assist with opening bank account however even this has become difficult in Bangkok. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Entering visa exempt or tourist visa is a catch 22.

You need a Thai bank account in your name only to obtain a non O.

The bank wants you have a non O to open bank account.

As I posted above you may be able to obtain certificate of residence from immigration in your province. 

Alternatively your embassy can provide equivalent however some embassies do not.

USA, UK, AU to name 3. Agents can assist with opening bank account however even this has become difficult in Bangkok. 

Thanks. Any recommended agents?

22 minutes ago, bkkboy99 said:

Thanks. Any recommended agents?

First up you would ask immigration what they require for certificate of residence.

If they can/will provide that then bank may open bank account. 

You could try PDC Visa Plus offices in KK and Udon Thani 

Google search will provide. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No...

From the OP...

"I'm entering Thailand on a Tourist Visa and would like to convert it to a one-year Retirement non-type O"

And the rest of the sentence is: ".... how can I open a bank account to transfer the 800K?"
So the topic here is open a bank account, NOT appying for a O visa.
I rest my case. Bye.

Edited by ThailandNinja
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, ThailandNinja said:

So the topic here is open a bank account, NOT appying for a O visa.
I rest my case.

From the OP...

* I'm entering Thailand on a Tourist Visa and would like to convert it to a one-year Retirement non-type O, how can I open a bank account to transfer the 800K?"

In my first post I included a link to the process for obtaining a non O from visa exempt or tourist visa entry

Many threads about that process.

All discuss the requirement to have a Thai bank account in your name only.

You post a link about obtaining a non O prior to entering Thailand. 

That is an option.

You can't understand the difference fine. 

I am sorry that I can't respond to banks in Issan. In Bangkok the bank branch you choose can be a deciding factor. Particular branches are familiar with the process and are more amenable to facilitating opening an account. It will be a savings account if you want a retirement visa. They will provide a debit card to access your funds from an ATM/ADM. Once the account is done and you have obtained your O visa you will want to open an account at a branch closet to where you will be living. In Thailand the banks charge a nominal fee for use in areas outside the province of your chosen bank office.

You will want to bring your passport with entry visa and O application. If there are additional requirements, such as a consulate notarization, they will advise. I opened one account with Kasikorn, Sukhumvit Soi 33 and at Bangkok Bank Emporium (this branch closed and is now across the street at Emportia). Both were familiar with the process. An agent can assist. I have been working with the same agent for 6 years,after trying two others, that has made the process almost effortless. He only works in Bangkok and Chonburi in terms of immigration support. Send me a DM if you are interested in his contact details. Best of luck. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/20/2024 at 12:47 PM, RayOday said:

I am sorry that I can't respond to banks in Issan. In Bangkok the bank branch you choose can be a deciding factor. Particular branches are familiar with the process and are more amenable to facilitating opening an account. It will be a savings account if you want a retirement visa. They will provide a debit card to access your funds from an ATM/ADM. Once the account is done and you have obtained your O visa you will want to open an account at a branch closet to where you will be living. In Thailand the banks charge a nominal fee for use in areas outside the province of your chosen bank office.

You will want to bring your passport with entry visa and O application. If there are additional requirements, such as a consulate notarization, they will advise. I opened one account with Kasikorn, Sukhumvit Soi 33 and at Bangkok Bank Emporium (this branch closed and is now across the street at Emportia). Both were familiar with the process. An agent can assist. I have been working with the same agent for 6 years,after trying two others, that has made the process almost effortless. He only works in Bangkok and Chonburi in terms of immigration support. Send me a DM if you are interested in his contact details. Best of luck. 

EmQuartier Branch Bangkok Bank is hit & miss. So was Emporium. It is very clear that what works for you may not work for me. I used Central Embassy Bangkok Bank. Reference required was Swift msg from my home bank requesting opening of account. Had non O from outside TH.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:20 PM, bkkboy99 said:

@ThailandNinja

When applying online for the 90-day type O, did you have to show an equivalent deposit in a local bank?

Couple years ago an online  90-day Non O from Thai Embassy in home country wanted to see your local bank statement with 800,000 Thai baht equivalent among the 7-9 other questions, then you'll have 60-70 days or so plenty of time to open a Thai Bank account and get the 800k over for your extension. You may though need 90 day health insurance for the application as well if you can find 90 day insurance. We are not as fortunate as the Russians...........

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...

I opened a bank account with Bangkok Bank (head office in Silom) in 2018. I entered visa exempt at that time. I couldn't use internet banking nor mobile banking.

When I got a Non-O Visa,  I got access to internet and mobile banking.

By the way I did not need to deposit THB 800 000 (income method)

Things may have changed since that time.

Edited by daejung

1 hour ago, daejung said:

I opened a bank account with Bangkok Bank (head office in Silom) in 2018. I entered visa exempt at that time. I couldn't use internet banking nor mobile banking.

2018 makes post irrelevant.  

Things have changed dramatically.  

• Agree 1

If you are in your home country, apply for the VISA through the local embassy. They just ask to see proof of funds in your local bank. Once you get the VISA, you can easily open a Thai bank account. If you are trying to do it from Thailand....good luck with that. Can be done but finding a bank is not easy.