Bangkok braces for severe outbreak of three diseases

webfact

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Felt about reporting this stupid post. But I'll do so only after reminding the idiots that a "healthy immune system" is the one that protects you from a given disease after being trained through either a prior infection or a vaccine. Remember, the prior infection can kill you.

Report what?? You clearly missed the sarcasm in the post I take it. 

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The vaccination can be administered alongside the Covid vaccine. Dengue fever, which had a high infection rate last year, is expected to continue this year.

This camp will opt out 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

A good time for all the vaccination junkies on here. Now they can get the influenza, COVID, and Dengue vaccines all at the same time. I'm sure a lot of people will be right into that. Who needs a healthy immune system when you can just get jabs to prevent everything?

Thanks Superman.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok’s health office predicts a severe outbreak of three diseases, with high infection rates, and plans to increase monitoring for an additional 12 diseases. Preparations are underway to care for patients, protect against infections, and secure treatment drugs and vaccines.

I wonder if this will be in the small print on the Welcome to the most visited city on planet Earth brochure.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Felt about reporting this stupid post. But I'll do so only after reminding the idiots that a "healthy immune system" is the one that protects you from a given disease after being trained through either a prior infection or a vaccine. Remember, the prior infection can kill you.

You're quite right of course - healthy immune systems are overrated. Vaccinations are the key to long healthy lives.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

The Usofan concept of 'freedom': I'll do whatever I damn-well like.

The rest of the Western world does (mostly) not share that concept. The policeman who arrests you when you exceed the speed limit is understood to be looking after the interests of ALL the people, not just the interests of the manufacturers of speed signs.

Fortunately, expats still have the freedom not to be vaccinated in Thailand. I did have the thought that the Immigration Department would make COVID-19 vaccinations compulsory for visa renewals back in 2020, but luckily it didn't happen. Thai people weren't so lucky and many were forced to get vaccinated as a requirement for their employment.

I suppose you would prefer everyone gets vaccinated for a long list of diseases and we carry a vaccination card with us at all times to prove our vaccination status.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

You'd defend your right to walk the streets with typhoid or smallpox? Even measles? Or dengue?

You'd defend a government's right to insist you get vaccinated (and who knows what else they might insist on)

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Negita43 said:

You'd defend a government's right to insist you get vaccinated (and who knows what else they might insist on)

Yeah, the same as governments have done for generations when it comes to vaccinations and infectious diseases. BTW, they don't compel you to have a vaccination.

Lookup how the vaccinated suffer less from long covid which causes severe mitochondrial damage in the muscles. You might change your tune if you do a bit of reading.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Lookup how the vaccinated suffer less from long covid which causes severe mitochondrial damage in the muscles. You might change your tune if you do a bit of readin

Actually my point is about choice not vaccination.

1 hour ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I missed the sarcasm too in that case. 

The post was clearly a mini rant by someone who is an anti-vaxxer.  Probably someone who, for whatever reason, has decided they don't want to listen to experts; or do what the authorities recommend.  

Vaccines are a good thing and assuming you've not already been vaccinated or your previous vaccination is out of date, it is a good idea to be vaccinated for any diseases that are circulating within the population.  

I'd rather my immune system was given a boost by receiving a vaccine than run the risk of getting the disease and my body not being able to fight it off.  

You've obviously done no research as you are convinced or brainwashed that what you think you know is the truth. Excess deaths are a real thing and data proving it has been made public in many countries. I respect your right to blast your system with vaccines for every disease known to man, so you should respect that people who don't agree might also have good reasons. Insulting the intelligence of people who choose not to receive vaccinations is no way to start a conversation or debate. We are ranting, but you're not?

Someone didn't get your memo. Vaccinations had become an afterthought a year ago despite the earlier craze. In April 2023 I searched Pattaya for a place for my wife to get vaccinated for entry to the US. 3 private hospitals couldn't tell me where to go. Eventually, I found a public hospital that could administer the vaccination on their one-day-per-week program, at the cost of 1300 baht.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Regarding the COVID piece of this:

"New COVID hospitalizations in Thailand rose to 664 for the week of Dec. 31 to Jan. 6, up 11.8% from 594 the prior week, and reaching the highest new COVID hospitalizations count in the past six months since early July. Last week also marked the first time the weekly new COVID hospitalizations tally had topped 600 since mid-July.

Likewise, the count of currently hospitalized COVID patients considered in serious condition rose to 144 for the latest week, up 20% from 120 the prior week, and reaching the highest count in the past five months since early August. [emphasis added]

https://aseannow.com/topic/1316796-thailands-latest-seasonal-covid-wave-enters-2024-with-continuing-upward-surge/

• Agree 1