Anywhere in all Thailand that has consistently good or reasonable air quality…..anywhere?

mikey88

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

I'm just across the water on Koh Mak. We're very low lying. It's not been great these last few days. I think more down to allergies. Dust maybe, or pollen?

Hi again, wind picking up here now and have blue patches of sky, clouds are nice and high.

On 1/20/2024 at 12:19 PM, novacova said:

I suppose if someone wants year round fresh clean air then Barrow Alaska is the place to be.

Any good real estate avlble out there? What about mosquitos? 

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

The city is good for food options & shopping, but same as most metros (small), not much more.  Better than Surat Thani (city).   ST having better countryside landscape, limestone karsts, vs rolling hills of Chumphon.

Plus of both, having an airport, if we wanted to pop up to Bangkok to see daughter.  But add time to drive to airport, check in & flight, along with airport time at DMK, not really much saved over simply driving from PKK.   Along with, dog makes both impractical for air travel.

But for others, worth checking out, along with others south of us/PKK.   Lifestyle dependent of course.

I think the whole region from Pak Nam Pran (Pranburi Beach area) all the way down to Ban Saphan Noi is an incredible region, cleaner air, very clean towns, incredible beaches, light population, great food, the entire area has a lot to offer relatively, and a low cost of living too. 

• Agree 1

As many have said anywhere coastal away from major infrastructure is fairly good.

saying that, coastal living is not for everyone, with long wet seasons and persistent humidity.

As for the mainland, the far eastern provinces like Ubon Ratchathani often has lowest AQI numbers this time of year, for a number of reasons I won’t go into here…not great but better than most other regions 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 11:01 AM, mikey88 said:

Anyone have any tips of where that place might be. Doesn’t matter where. Severe asthma is the reason for the possible relocation. The AQI map for all Thailand this morning was not promising. Most everywhere looked not that good….even the south.

Any tips most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Look for areas without severe air inversion. I also have asthma and exercise everyday outdoors.  Finally had to give up on Chiang Mai after 6 years and multiple hospital visits. 

Without inversion in the last 3 cities I have lived in the last 8 years the pollution fluctuates daily and usually I can adapt my outside activities.  Chiang Mai is basically a toilet bowl for 3 months each year which can be seen from Doi Suthep and is atrocious near the city center all year.  Looking down on the city from any of the surrounding mountains is depressing.

On 1/23/2024 at 2:16 PM, UbonEagle said:

As many have said anywhere coastal away from major infrastructure is fairly good.

saying that, coastal living is not for everyone, with long wet seasons and persistent humidity.

As for the mainland, the far eastern provinces like Ubon Ratchathani often has lowest AQI numbers this time of year, for a number of reasons I won’t go into here…not great but better than most other regions 

My viewpoint exactly.  The air in the far east is bad but most years is manageable.  Air filters and indoor exercise on the treadmill while watching youtube during the worst weeks.  The far eastern parts of Thailand can be lonely but with some adjustments can be quite satisfying.  

On 1/23/2024 at 2:16 PM, UbonEagle said:

i find it strange that so many people think the pm 2.5 air pollution in isaan isn't that bad.

some personals perception and measurement data are two different things; personally, i trust

the countless accessible measurement data more.

anyone who takes air pollution seriously should get themselves a pm2.5 meter ...

001.png

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

i find it strange that so many people think the pm 2.5 air pollution in isaan isn't that bad.

Why can't they simply live there happily?🤔 Without someone like you telling them what a bad place it is.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Why can't they simply live there happily?🤔 Without someone like you telling them what a bad place it is.

to VocalNeal: that seems to be the first  time we do agree on something ... thanks a lot, you made my (sun-)day  :thumbsup:

On 2/4/2024 at 8:44 AM, motdaeng said:

some personals perception and measurement data are two different things; personally, i trust

the countless accessible measurement data more.

anyone who takes air pollution seriously should get themselves a pm2.5 meter

Must be reading a different thread.  Most posters from the NE have stated it is bad but better than most areas. Lived in Chiang Mai for example and the PM 2.5 was "MUCH" worse than the NE. 

It is terrible everywhere but living in cities with bad inversion that just keeps the bad air in the same place is not a healthy choice.   Also cities produce more of the pm 1.0 and less that "might" be the main contributor to health issues.  Lots of new research coming out and my bet is that scientists will conclude that the PM < .1 is the real concern.

• 4 weeks later...

Anywhere in world, west coast of Scotland especially islands like Tiree.  If you insist on Thailand then Surat Thani is reasonable.  Lots of good suggestions as to how to work out best place for you.