The Cannabis Law Flip-Flop

Thai govt does a lot of talking, but very little action. Nothing will change except maybe getting a DR's script, which will be cheap and very easy to get.

I went to this one dispensary in Bangkok, right at the start of this cannabis boom when the only thing they sold was THC oil, and the DR's prescription was copied and free to all customers. 

Edited by Trippy
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Trippy said:

Thai govt does a lot of talking, but very little action. Nothing will change except maybe getting a DR's script, which will be cheap and very easy to get.

I went to this one dispensary in Bangkok, right at the start of this cannabis boom when the only thing they sold was THC oil, and the DR's prescription was copied and free to all customers. 

Me too, in that run down mall, strong stuff it was

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

Not true and don't agree. A lot of the justification implemented by Anutin to remove cannabis from the list of illegal narcotics in Thailand, and to dress up in colorful cannabis shirts, while handing out a million plants to the public, was all based on the growing legalization of cannabis in the USA. Optics. 

anutin has insiste from the beginning that the thc content should not be over 0.2% and that it should not be used for recreational purposes. i am very pro weed, but the thai gvt isnt known for its finesse in implementing laws, nor are the pigs gonna back down from enforcing their future retirement plans. dont get your hopes up

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

anutin has insiste from the beginning that the thc content should not be over 0.2% and that it should not be used for recreational purposes. i am very pro weed, but the thai gvt isnt known for its finesse in implementing laws, nor are the pigs gonna back down from enforcing their future retirement plans. dont get your hopes up

This was a smoke screen from Anutin. He kept insisting that over 0.2% would still be illegal without saying that only referred to extracts.  The majority of Thais understood that referred to everything and buds would be illegal which thinking how it would be possible for there to be any business for shops and growers like that. Newin's daughter already had a huge plantation and was talking openly about selling for recreational use.  Daddy, Anutin's boss, would not have been happy, if she wasn't able to sell all the bud she had prepared for market.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, ABCDBKK said:

Anutin was conflicted in his message from day one. Yes, he said for medical use only. And, the law states a 0.2% rule on THC, but that only applies to extract products and obviously cannot apply to the use of flowers. 

Anutin also handed out a million plants to anyone who wanted it in 2022 and everyone in Thailand is now permitted to grow plants and flowers at home, and with no medical use restrictions and no 0.2% restriction as long as they are not selling it without a commercial license or smoking it in public places. So how can you have a medical use only restriction when everyone is already permitted to willfully grow and smoke it at home? 

In addition, Anutin was seen on television cooking shows showing the Thai population how to add cannabis to their Som Tum and other Thai food recipes. So that is him fully advocating it for recreational use at the same time. It also negates the so called 0.2% limit and contradicts his own medical use double-talk. 

At the 28:00 minute mark in the documentary linked below the issue about Anutin's conflicting messaging is well covered:

is kitty still fighting to charge 1234b per gram too ? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2024 at 1:52 PM, ABCDBKK said:

If Thailand is really going to flip-flop on the law (after already delisting cannabis as an illegal narcotic) and eventually start fining and jailing people for recreational use, especially tourists, then they are going to find themselves awkwardly bucking the growing trend in Western countries where decriminalizing of cannabis for recreational use continues to grow. 

Even Germany, seen as a relatively conservative country, is likely to legalize cannabis for recreational use within this year: 

https://www.dw.com/en/german-minister-aims-for-cannabis-legalization-by-spring/a-68042155

In addition to the 23 states in the US that have already legalized cannabis for recreational use (including Washington DC), 8 more are also expected to legalize it within this year. 

If Thailand does end up making serious changes to the current laws then the blowback and lawsuits against the government from both growers and retailers losing income (those who invested based on previous government promises) could be sizable. I can see a situation where some ambiguous changes are eventually made to the laws to try and reduce recreational use and then everything gets backpedalled again a year later to exactly the way things are right now. 

I guess yr prayers have been heard: today in Thaiger!

https://thethaiger.com/guides/cannabis/thailand-cannabis-guide/is-cannabis-legal-for-foreigners-in-thailand-know-the-rules

32 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Its taken nigh on 100 years for many of even the most  educated of people to overcome the reefer madness propaganda that's responsible for starting this incredibly sad state of affairs and that has seen people incarcerated and lives ruined. The country that started it all (USA) has all but changed its mind   A completely open and free approach is now the only thing that people should be prepared to accept, Its happening all over the world at last, and the few  who wish to impose their ridiculous and outdated views on everybody for whatever reason,  should not be pandered to anymore

this about sums it all up in a nice neat paragraph. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/22/2024 at 3:17 PM, Pouatchee said:

Anutin is on his way out with the BJT  He is no longer really effective.

What is going to happen is that shops will be regulated and licenced.  Doctors prescribing/writing scripts are going to have to have some sort to licence (LOL).

Only shops that have licences are going to be allowed to sell.  

Locations of shops will be restricted.

Only licenced people will be allowed to grow.

Just like alcohol, the sale to people under age will be forbidden.

The main thing that they are going to want to do is to ensure that people on street corners are no more.  That kids are not in harm's way and that people that do not need it do not get it.  

As to stores closing, I think that that is a given, and most people that opened stores since the law passed knew that it was a crap shoot.

Wonderland in NANA is probably the smartest one in that they opened a medical office in a separate location.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

As to stores closing, I think that that is a given, and most people that opened stores since the law passed knew that it was a crap shoot.

The stores thing is Typically Thai,  There are many streets with shops all selling the same things next door to each other,  In Bangkok there was the Pantip Plaza with hundreds of stalls selling the same computer Junk,  Khonkaen had a similar one. At one end of Khao San road if you turned left there was only wedding dress shops, and who could forget the plethora of mobile phone stalls in the basements of just about every Plaza in the country,  for some reason its what they do, fear of missing out or fear of being different, 

its just the way they are here. Our local market was awash with cannabis plants, bongs, and 100bt bags of weed for sale , all looked at in disgust and horror by a small audience of tut tutting elderly farangs  as they got pissed out of their heads in there regular watering hole whilst their long suffering wives did a bit of shopping. There is just one stall now run by a 50 year old Thai Rasta with the most impressive and cleanest set of dreadlocks I have ever seen, nice guy seems to do OK and isn't overly concerned about any impending regulations. 

Whatever happens market forces will ultimately sort things out

No offence but i found the rest of your post a bit depressing , you could have softened it a bit by starting off with "in my opinion"   now I'm on a downer, 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hi everyone, I'm new here, Thailand has been my favourite destination for past year since I'm a cannabis tourist ... yeah I only travel abroad for cannabis. 

Does anyone know when the new anti-recreation law will be implemented? I have just reduce my vacation tickets plan from 2 months to 1 week stay, just in case things don't go in my favor anymore, I still love the beaches though 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I very much welcome ....

The Flop!

Stay sober.

Stay happy.

Remain clear-headed, you heads...

Every moment of the day!

I never  for a moment suspected you as somebody who would seek to interfere in other peoples lives in an intrusive manner. I thought you might be above that sort of thing, a live and let live type concerned more with observational comments. Was I wrong?  

• Agree 1

On 1/22/2024 at 3:17 PM, Pouatchee said:

Another  "but Anutin said"  or in this case "insisted" comment, What he may or may not have said is frankly irrelevant,  and anyway it was actually products or extracts thereof that were to be restricted to 0.2%.  People would be well advised to see how the police interpret what Anutin may have said,  and to open their eyes and look at the reality, rather than heed the protestations of a few on this forum, Its patently obvious that for the past 2 years nobody else has given a toss what Anutin may have insisted

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, sumaterani said:

Hi everyone, I'm new here, Thailand has been my favourite destination for past year since I'm a cannabis tourist ... yeah I only travel abroad for cannabis. 

Does anyone know when the new anti-recreation law will be implemented? I have just reduce my vacation tickets plan from 2 months to 1 week stay, just in case things don't go in my favor anymore, I still love the beaches though 

Nobody knows anything yet,  Just out of interest Where are you from?  and when was your planned vacation here?   

I'm not interested in getting a doctor's prescription for some CBD oil. If that's what legal cannabis in Thailand is heading to, that's the end of legal cannabis in Thailand as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1