Belgian fugitive convicted for attempted murder arrested in Thailand

webfact

7 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

What I don’t understand is all these people who are caught for overstay how do they get money out of the bank account here they always asked me for my passport and they look at my Visa usually make a copy of that also and if you want to rent an apartment they ask you for your passport many places or ask for passport, so how do these guys get away without having a valid visa and passport?  TIT

They're not "alone", and he didn't land in Thailand randomly, ig. 

3 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

Morocco used to be the place to go in the 60's and 70's to smoke hash in peace and also if you wanted a bit of bum fun.

Now they seem to produce more radical murdering islamic lunatics than the rest of north Africa.

They must all be in Europe then because I didn't come across any when I was in Marrakech not too long ago.  On the other hand, many of the Moroccan troublemakers in Belgium and the Netherlands were not born in Morocco, and instead are the children of immigrants.

• Agree 1

Congratulation to Royal Thai Police Department so every European to remember that Kingdom of Thailand is not European -US -States.

One more time c.o.n.g.r.a.t.u.l.a.t.i.o.n to Royal Thai Police Department!

7 hours ago, IslandLover said:

They must all be in Europe then because I didn't come across any when I was in Marrakech not too long ago.  On the other hand, many of the Moroccan troublemakers in Belgium and the Netherlands were not born in Morocco, and instead are the children of immigrants.

What about the "bum fun"?

1 minute ago, sabai-dee-man said:

It's true... I've met loads of SAS, SBS, SEALs, and airline pulots! Never met a builder or plumber though!

Oh, and taxi drivers - plus Russian draft dodgers - never see any of them.

21 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Why blur his photograph? He has already been convicted, traced and arrested for the crime. 

There is no issue regarding identification and I presume this arrest has been at the instigation of/arranged by the Belgian authorities rather than any sleuthing by the RTP as he has remained undetected and employed in Thailand for years.

Too much for the RTP to handle.

10 hours ago, Paris333 said:

Congratulation to Royal Thai Police Department so every European to remember that Kingdom of Thailand is not European -US -States.

One more time c.o.n.g.r.a.t.u.l.a.t.i.o.n to Royal Thai Police Department!

It only took them 10 years to find him, so yes congratulations RTP.   

18 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

Would like to know what visa he held. Non-B presumably (if the club he worked at was above board -- else they should penalize the club too). Wouldn't be surprised if it was an elite privilege visa.

Club probably belonged to local RTP Inspector.

On 1/24/2024 at 11:29 AM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A Belgian fugitive, previously convicted in Belgium for charges of attempted murder, has been apprehended in Patong, Thailand.

The 36 year old man, known only by the name Achmal, had been operating as a DJ in a local nightlife establishment for a number of years.

Achmal was taken into custody by Phuket Immigration officers from an apartment in Patong, according to the Deputy Chief of the Immigration Bureau, Police Major General Phanthana Nuchanart. He announced the arrest during a press conference in Bangkok yesterday, January 23. The specifics of Achmal’s apprehension, including the date and location, remained undisclosed, as did the name of the club where he was employed as a DJ.

According to Maj. Gen. Phanthana, Achmal held dual citizenship, with passports issued by Belgium and Morocco. His arrest was in response to a Criminal Court Arrest Warrant, numbered 878/2566, dated December 15, 2023.

The charges laid against Achmal were severe. He was found guilty of attempting to murder another person with premeditation, carrying a firearm without permission, and possession of ammunition spare parts or accessories which were installed on a firearm without permission, as disclosed by Maj. Gen. Phanthana. The Court of Appeal of Brussels had previously sentenced Achmal to a decade in prison, reported The Phuket News.

by Mitch Connor 

Picture courtesy of Immigration Bureau

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

so upon arrival his passport was screened and they let him in the country! what screening is this then? 🤣