Looking for advice on staying as long as legally possible.

4 hours ago, noobexpat said:

I got the 600k elite and i only really needed it for 2.5 years until i reached 50.

It paid for itself in a few months. Not going to be the same for everyone though.

How did it pay for itself? The smarter more cost effective way would've been to do METV for a few hundred bucks every 9 months.

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2024 at 6:51 PM, Lukestar21 said:

Hey all,

Me and my partner have visited Thailand multiple times , last time a few weeks ago for 2 months doing a flight to Vietnam to get another 30 day stamp on return. We would both like to spend longer in Thailand as absolutely love the place , its culture , food, weather and of course the people. We are both working as online personal trainers so can work from anywhere with all clients based in the UK so know we wont be breaking any working rules when in Thailand. We know we cant get work permits for this to stay on a work visa for a longer term , so what other options do we have to stay longer. I was considering 60 day tourist visa with a 30 day extension , but after this can we leave Thailand and do the same again for another 90 days ? also how many times can we boarder run by air to get a 30 day stamp? have heard stories of people being turned away after doing this several times.

Many thanks for any advice anybody can give.

You and your partner could each  arrange marriage with a Thai

and then start the visa process.

Explore it.

imop

50 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How did it pay for itself? The smarter more cost effective way would've been to do METV for a few hundred bucks every 9 months.

You've tried to answer your question based upon you and not me.

Imagine if cost effective was not the priority.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, noobexpat said:

I got the 600k elite and i only really needed it for 2.5 years until i reached 50.

It paid for itself in a few months. Not going to be the same for everyone though.

I'm in the camp of those who happen to think that those old Elite packages were value for money for people who wished to stay in Thailand long-term, but didn't qualify for any other long-term visa/extension.

But really, you're exaggerating here, how could it pay for itself "in a few months". That's just hyperbole. It's essentially a long-term tourist visa, and a regular tourist visa would cover "a few months" - at a much lower price.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Caldera said:
9 hours ago, noobexpat said:

I'm in the camp of those who happen to think that those old Elite packages were value for money for people who wished to stay in Thailand long-term, but didn't qualify for any other long-term visa/extension.

But really, you're exaggerating here, how could it pay for itself "in a few months". That's just hyperbole. It's essentially a long-term tourist visa, and a regular tourist visa would cover "a few months" - at a much lower price.

I've got to agree...  Years back I worked out that my 1 Million Baht fee paid for itself in a approximately 8 years and years later I realise its been great value for money (and is a life time membership)... 

... Especially as I can sell it on and the buyer would get 30 years passed on to them... (I'm married so no longer really have the need for the Elite Membership anymore, I've had offers but they were lowballers, it wasn't worth selling it as its still extremely convenient).

But... I am very intrigued as to how someone could work out how 600,000 baht has paid for itself in a few months, or even 2.5 years in-fact.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But... I am very intrigued as to how someone could work out how 600,000 baht has paid for itself in a few months, or even 2.5 years in-fact.

At a "1 year later assessment" i think it probably paid for itself in about 6 weeks, compared with staying in the UK.

As to how ...not for public consumption. Is it that hard to figure out?

• Haha 2

You will obviously be classified as a tourist.

You can stay as long as you can convince immigration that you are a tourist and not a resident.

Visa Excempt is unlimited by air on paper but I think 4 flights is the limit before immigration get awkward. 

Multi entry Tourist Visa is the way to go, If you have all the necessary uploads, apply via a VPN, if issued, leave to an adjacent country and use that.

OP - IF 50+ then you can get a retirement visa forever BUT don't get caught working remotely.

Quick searches:

digital nomads work permit in Thailand:

As of 2022, Thailand does not currently have a digital nomad visa. Any type of work that is being performed in Thai territory must be done through a work permit. Remote work is currently not available in Thailand and therefore foreign freelancers and self-employed workers are NOT allowed to work in Thailand.

Can digital nomads work in Thailand?

Digital nomads or remote workers employed by major international companies are eligible for the LTR visa. It is possible to work legally in Thailand for a duration of 10 years, with an option to extend it further.Sep 4, 2023

Which visa is best for digital nomads Thailand?

On 1 September 2022, the Thailand Long-Term Residency Visa went live. It is a 10-year Visa that is also created by the Thailand Board of Investments https://ltr.boi.go.th/ and has taken a lot of elements from the SMART visa. The 10-year Thailand LTR visa is aimed at wealthy expats and wealthy digital nomads.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2024 at 2:42 PM, bbi1 said:

For many people, the cost of travelling to their home countries and staying for a few days is substantial. That is without considering that people might not want to do that. They might prefer to spend the time in Thailand. Also, bear in mind, that people have been refused serial METVs, and it has even been known for people with tourist visas to be denied entry.

EDIT: Yes, you can try to circumvent the rule that you must apply for an METV in your home country by using a VPN (and falsifying the passport copies you submit) but that involves risk.

Edited by BritTim