Looking for advice on staying as long as legally possible.

Hey all,

Me and my partner have visited Thailand multiple times , last time a few weeks ago for 2 months doing a flight to Vietnam to get another 30 day stamp on return. We would both like to spend longer in Thailand as absolutely love the place , its culture , food, weather and of course the people. We are both working as online personal trainers so can work from anywhere with all clients based in the UK so know we wont be breaking any working rules when in Thailand. We know we cant get work permits for this to stay on a work visa for a longer term , so what other options do we have to stay longer. I was considering 60 day tourist visa with a 30 day extension , but after this can we leave Thailand and do the same again for another 90 days ? also how many times can we boarder run by air to get a 30 day stamp? have heard stories of people being turned away after doing this several times.

Many thanks for any advice anybody can give.

• Confused 1

How long do you plan to stay? If this is your first time to Thailand, you can probably get by on 60 day tourist visas for a year or two, just spend a week or something outside. The people facing problems, have usually been doing this for years. I don't know what the magic number is, and it no doubt varies depending on the immigration officer. In your case, I would go with 60 day visas with short breaks, until you get a warning. I don't know when that warning will come, but I believe most people get a warning or some kind of hint that next trip they may be denied.

If you're dead set on staying for many years, Elite visa would be lower hassle/stress though expensive option.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies so far guys, appreciate them all. For those asking i have visited Thailand multiple times between 2 weeks to 2 months, but want to stay much longer next time as leaving is always sad and just get depressed looking forward to my next visit.

In an ideal world id like to find me and my missus both work in Thailand in a gym , get Work visa and work permit and pay tax to Thai government , but i know that's highly unlikely for us both to achieve.

Feel bad if i get a work permit and work visa and send the missus to boarder run every few months :biggrin:

For the METV all i can find online is its available for 6 months from the date of issue. Does this mean i can return to and leave Thailand as much i want for 60 days as long as I'm not in the country for longer than 60 days? Somebody above mentions 9  months , is that possible?

Cheers

10 minutes ago, Lukestar21 said:

Somebody above mentions 9  months , is that possible?

That was me.

Yes it's possible.

Every entry from METV while it's still valid provides a 60 day stamp. 

That stamp can be extended by 30 days. 

6+3= approx 9 months 

The rest of your post is correct 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lukestar21 said:

In an ideal world id like to find me and my missus both work in Thailand in a gym , get Work visa and work permit and pay tax to Thai government , but i know that's highly unlikely for us both to achieve.

Feel bad if i get a work permit and work visa and send the missus to boarder run every few months :biggrin:

Dream on.

Obviously haven't researched your options to live in Thailand. 

More options when you are 50.

Guessing you are long way from that

1 hour ago, simon43 said:
1 hour ago, bbko said:

An ED visa comes to mind.

I missed the bit in the OP's post where he states that he wants to study.....

Assuming the Op is under 50.

Its still a viable option and could give them a year...   Learn some Thai, immerse themselves in the culture they enjoy so much.

There's nothing wrong with that IMO... 

As long as possible is a little vague - 10 years... or does the Op mean a year, or 6 months even... ?

If less than a year... DrJack's option is the most viable and cheapest option.

If looking longer term... 5 years etc, the Thai Elite becomes the viable option, but far more expensive at 600,000 baht.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

28 minutes ago, Lukestar21 said:

Thanks for the replies so far guys, appreciate them all. For those asking i have visited Thailand multiple times between 2 weeks to 2 months, but want to stay much longer next time as leaving is always sad and just get depressed looking forward to my next visit.

Gym work as a trainer - my guess is you'll be lucky to pull in 50,000 baht per month, perhaps more at higher end Gyms. 

The Gyms my Wife goes to have Western Trainers (or at least they look Western - its possible they are are half Thai).

Private trainer would make you more money, but then you'd have 'working in Thailand' issues.

I'd hazard a guess and suggest that keeping your 'online clients' happy is a better earner than working locally.

If one of you does get work-permitted work and the other doesn't.. then 'it is what it is' and I wouldn't worry about it, its just one visa issue out of the way.

Obviously you need to do a lot more research, which I guess is what you are doing here...    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I was on multi entry visa and visa runs for 2 years before they put in my passport big red stamp "try visa run one more time and we will deny you". And that's a story how I got married. :hit-the-fan:

You gave up so easy lol

I've been in Thailand 4 years on tourist visas and stamps

I'd get a single entry tourist visa (SETV) while in Vietnam. This gives you 60 days + 30 day extension. Then do a same day border run to get visa exempt 30 days + 30 day extension. 

That's your first 150 days covered. I'd then do a month out somewhere and rinse and repeat for another 150

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Hey OP, just a suggestion for a long stay: You get a higher chance of success by using visa service companies for your border runs and tourist visa applications in neighboring countries (usually Laos/Cambodia). The reason for this is that you don´t get questioned as much by immigration officials if you are part of a visa run group. However nothing is ever guaranteed, but I would always choose a visa run company instead of trying to do it myself - especially if I got many stamps and a long history. 

I have used www.thaivisaservice.com many times without any issues. But there are others too. Good luck!

Just a small update as well, last time I did a border run to Cambodia they didnt put the whole page visa in my passport for Cambodia, and only used small stamps. That was a positive surprise.

Edited by raz0r21
  • Love It 1

4 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

You gave up so easy lol

I've been in Thailand 4 years on tourist visas and stamps

I have a really hard time believing this. Did you spend any time outside of Thailand? Anyway, if its true you have been very lucky. Impressive.

9 hours ago, simon43 said:

I missed the bit in the OP's post where he states that he wants to study.....

Merely a suggestion to stay as long as legally possible.

Also I recently read somewhere people can get a 90 day day ED visa to attend Muay Thai camps to learn Muay Thai, it's something inline with the OP work and could help increase his online customer base.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Lukestar21 said:

Hey all,

Me and my partner have visited Thailand multiple times , last time a few weeks ago for 2 months doing a flight to Vietnam to get another 30 day stamp on return. We would both like to spend longer in Thailand as absolutely love the place , its culture , food, weather and of course the people. We are both working as online personal trainers so can work from anywhere with all clients based in the UK so know we wont be breaking any working rules when in Thailand. We know we cant get work permits for this to stay on a work visa for a longer term , so what other options do we have to stay longer. I was considering 60 day tourist visa with a 30 day extension , but after this can we leave Thailand and do the same again for another 90 days ? also how many times can we boarder run by air to get a 30 day stamp? have heard stories of people being turned away after doing this several times.

Many thanks for any advice anybody can give.

Consider exploring the Volunteer Visa option.  Many volunteer opportunities are long term. It allows you to get a work permit, and the digital nomad issue s irrelevant.

Good luck. Ignore the many clamoring rude voices.  

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If looking longer term... 5 years etc, the Thai Elite becomes the viable option, but far more expensive at 600,000 baht.

Following a revamp of the Thailand Elite program last year, the minimum membership is now 900,000 baht (5 years)

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Following a revamp of the Thailand Elite program last year, the minimum membership is now 900,000 baht (5 years)

Absolute bargain, said nobody 

46 minutes ago, proton said:
1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Absolute bargain, said nobody 

A 900,000 baht for 5 years, I'd agree...

That said...  as an 'early adopter...   I've been a member for about 16 years...  

1 Million baht for life..  (and can I sell it on / 30 years transfers)

In that time, I've had about (reasonable estimates)

- 200 Airport Transfers (approximately) - (worth about 200,000 baht)

- 200 Games of Golf (about 25 games per year for the 1st 8 years) (worth about 500,000 baht)

- 100's of Massages (no idea of cost, about 500 baht each - worth about 50,000 baht)

- 15 yearly Medical Check-ups (worth about 225,000)

- 16 years of trouble free Visa... priceless.

Adding up the above services... 925,000 baht of value (give or take)...

So.. the Visa has cost about 130 baht per month. 

Absolute Bargain, says I...   !!!    and the above guesses are conservative... 

I'd previously worked out that membership had pretty much paid for itself at the 8 year mark.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:
19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Daaaamn... thats a brutal increase...     they must be loosing membership on that.

At 500,000 baht for 5 years I think they had a 'sweet spot' and attracted many members, but that 900,000 baht is going to cost them I suspect.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Daaaamn... thats a brutal increase...     they must be loosing membership on that.

At 500,000 baht for 5 years I think they had a 'sweet spot' and attracted many members, but that 900,000 baht is going to cost them I suspect.

They were originally planning to set the price of the 5-year membership even higher! My suspicion is that it will kill the Western market. I am not sure about Chinese, Russian and Middle East buyers. I think for many of them, the price is elastic. Time will tell.

Edited by BritTim

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

My suspicion is that it will kill the Western market. I am not sure about Chinese, Russian and Middle East buyers.

As usual very good observation.

For all we know PE visa company has a quota with immigration. 

As a result has a target market.

In any event the OP has not indicated that PE visa would be remotely a good fit.

BTW: welcome back @BritTim

• Like 1