Documents required to buy a New Honda Scooter

12 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Is it enough to have a driving license to buy a new bike or what documents are needed? 
If buying cash? 

The buying the bike part is simple...  

I think you mean getting the bike registered in your name - which can be awkward for some.

You will need the following: 

1) Passport (as proof of ID)

2) Proof of Address

It is this second part that can prove tricky for some and it depends on your visa situation, location and also your nationality. 

Options: 

1) Get a Certificate of Residence from Immigration.

- (n many cases you will have need to submit a 90 day report to get this, but its been reported that in some areas eg as Ching Mai you can get a letter of residence without submitting a 90 day report (hence, your location in Thailand comes into it)

- Obviously, if staying more than 90 days, your Visa will need to be a longer term visa (such as Non-Immigrant Visa).

OR...

2) Get an Affirmation of Residence Document from your Embassy (this is where your nationality comes into it), as some Embassies have stopped issuing this document, where as others only issue it on long term / resident visa's (this is where your visa type comes into it)

3) Work Permits (IF it shows your address. A lot of the newer work permits no longer show the address).

All of the above becomes trickier if you are here on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry stamp, are British etc... then getting the required Affirmation of Address  / Certificate of Address document could prove difficult. 

Thus: Provide your details and you may be able to get more specific assistance with this.

Nationality

- Visa Type

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed. The DLT offices seem to have a wide variation of what is accepted as proof of address.

Also immigration offices may or may not be willing to supply a res.cert. free or for a "fee".

Instant or waiting for weeks(!?).

I read here that someone needed a letter from the DLT that a res.cert. is needed and show at immigration :biggrin:

If you live in a "foreigner experienced" location the dealer might be able to tell what's needed.

Buying a car in my name some 11 years ago as a newbie/fresh arrived was quite a hassle with help of blue book from wife and copy of marriage certificate!!

But for buying a small motorbike some 6 years ago the yellow book/pink card was sufficient (which I than had). Our DLT is OK with that also for license extension etc.

Pattaya/Chonburi: no way.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes you need this

Will I end up at the dealers with all of these and be told I can’t buy a bike? 

I guess I better confirm where I will buy it and make sure we are on the same page documents wise 

Edited by Startmeup

The dealer is interested in selling the bike to you... go pick out your bike and they will tell you exactly what you need... no worries... you will drive off that day while they sort the papers.

If you want to be prepared... take your passport with you... they will make copies... and go to IO and get a residence certificate ahead of time... but not more than 30 days ahead... the dealer will take care of everything else.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Startmeup said:

Will I end up at the dealers with all of these and be told I can’t buy a bike? 

I guess I better confirm where I will buy it and make sure we are on the same page documents wise 

that is what the dealer will ask for but of course confirm when you find a dealer, more importantly find one that doesn't charge a falang tax, Pattaya ones do

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

that is what the dealer will ask for but of course confirm when you find a dealer, more importantly find one that doesn't charge a falang tax, Pattaya ones do

Falang tax you mean a higher price for the bike or some other rort? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

For people who own property here?

Not necessarily. "Yellow book". Registered having non Thai ID. Frequently discussed.

Some get it easy.

Varies from amphoe to amphoe (district office).

Others are harrased with required documents.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 1/25/2024 at 9:05 PM, Startmeup said:

Will they not accept drivers license as proof of address?

No, they will not. At Immigration just tell them you want to buy a motorbike. They will give you the necessary form. They also will ask for about 300 Baht for this, even though it is officially free. I asked for a receipt, which I did not get. But they wanted no money any more...

On 1/25/2024 at 9:05 PM, Startmeup said:

Im in Phuket. Australian Passport. Elite visa

You had to have the Proof-of-address to get your Thai driver's license.  It may be stapled on a back page in your passport.

On 1/25/2024 at 2:15 PM, Startmeup said:

Is it enough to have a driving license to buy a new bike or what documents are needed? 
If buying cash? 

You need passport and a proof of address in Thailand – you don't need a drivers license to own a vehicle, only to drive one – proof of address is norm ally issued by the local immigration office. Some land transport offices accepts a Yellow House Book for foreigners as proof of address, and some always request a letter from the immigration office. The local dealer for new motorbikes would know what documents are needed and will normally take care of mandatory insurance and the registration at the local Land Transport Office.

On 1/25/2024 at 5:05 PM, Startmeup said:

Im in Phuket. Australian Passport. Elite visa

No.. a drivers licence is not considered a valid proof of address with which to register your motorcycle in your name.

You will need to obtain a letter of Address from your local immigration (Phuket Immigration Office).

a) Certificate of Address - you get this from an Immigration Office, but they may want to see that you have submitted a 90 day report

(some immigration offices want to see a 90 day report other's are not bothered about it) - Hopefully this is not a requirement for you, if you have not submitted a 90 day report and they require that, you may still be able to plead your case (mileage may vary here).

Note: The Australian Embassy and its consulates in Thailand no longer issue Affirmation Address.

https://phuket.consulate.gov.au/pket/Notarialservices.html

image.png.b264da1c6c347b44ee213a5205526ec2.png

On 1/25/2024 at 5:13 PM, gomangosteen said:

OR Yellow house book (I had the latter); also copied my pink non-Thai ID card 

Its safe to assume the Op doesn't have this or he'd have sufficient knowledge of being here and required documentation required for Bike registration etc...  and hence, not need to ask the question in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

No.. a drivers licence is not considered a valid proof of address with which to register your motorcycle in your name.

You will need to obtain a letter of Address from your local immigration (Phuket Immigration Office).

a) Certificate of Address - you get this from an Immigration Office, but they may want to see that you have submitted a 90 day report

(some immigration offices want to see a 90 day report other's are not bothered about it) - Hopefully this is not a requirement for you, if you have not submitted a 90 day report and they require that, you may still be able to plead your case (mileage may vary here).

Note: The Australian Embassy and its consulates in Thailand no longer issue Affirmation Address.

https://phuket.consulate.gov.au/pket/Notarialservices.html

image.png.b264da1c6c347b44ee213a5205526ec2.png

On 1/26/2024 at 6:57 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

The dealer is interested in selling the bike to you... go pick out your bike and they will tell you exactly what you need... no worries... you will drive off that day while they sort the papers.

If you want to be prepared... take your passport with you... they will make copies... and go to IO and get a residence certificate ahead of time... but not more than 30 days ahead... the dealer will take care of everything else.

Any dealer I talk to ask for a work permit. 

Most foreigners here are not on work permits I dont get it.

Will they forget about asking for the work permit when I bring them the residency cert from immigration?

Documents needed for residency cert -

1. passport

2. 2 passport pictures

3. Do I need a lease agreement or will a copy of the TM30 from landlord do the trick?

Edited by Startmeup

21 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Any dealer I talk to ask for a work permit. 

Most foreigners here are not on work permits I dont get it.

Will they forget about asking for the work permit when I bring them the residency cert from immigration?

Documents needed for residency cert -

1. passport

2. 2 passport pictures

3. Do I need a lease agreement or will a copy of the TM30 from landlord do the trick?

That's an easy one... the dealers who tell you that you need a work permit don't know what they are talking about - its just a generic requirement the know about. Just tell then you will get a Certificate of Residence from Immigration and thats all thats needed.

Your listed documentation will be fine to obtain the Certificate of Residence (it won't hurt to have a lease agreement at hand too, and the TM30)..

Have you also submitted a 90 day report ? (some immigration offices also as for this) - if you haven't.. don't worry too much about this you may not need if you explain to Immigration that you need the certificate to register you motorcycle.

IF they still insist on a 90 day report before issuing the Certificate of Address, then just wait a little longer before you register your bike.

You'll be able to ride the bike as soon as you pay for it (and pick it up) - it may either have red plates or no plates at all, its best to try and get the red plates, but many bike dealierships don't bother with this. They may also take over a month to get the bike registered. 

I have registered numerous bikes and cars myself as I didn't want to wait for the dealership to deal with it, especially as my Bikes were delivered without any numberplate at all and I didn't like that.

Its actually easy enough to do the actual registration part yourself (I've done it myself with my last 3 cars and 3 motorbikes - just because I wanted to make sure it was done and not wait for the months it takes the garage to deal with it (and chose my own number plate).

But usually, the dealership will deal with all that - and all they need is your Passport and Certificate of Address.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 12:57 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

This isn't always the case - in fact if you're paying cash, some dealers, for some models actually don't want to sell it you, as they'd much rather a thai bought if with finance.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Have you also submitted a 90 day report ? (some immigration offices also as for this) - if you haven't.. don't worry too much about this you may not need if you explain to Immigration that you need the certificate to register you motorcycle.

You don't need that in Phuket.

The TM30 is needed in Phuket. I brought the rent contract but I do not remember if they wanted to see it.

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No im only back a week. I'll bring my girl with me and should be able to talk them around.

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

have registered numerous bikes and cars myself as I didn't want to wait for the dealership to deal with it, especially as my Bikes were delivered without any numberplate at all and I didn't like that.

Its actually easy enough to do the actual registration part yourself (I've done it myself with my last 3 cars and 3 motorbikes - just because I wanted to make sure it was done and not wait for the months it takes the garage to deal with it (and chose my own number plate).

This is all new to me, I just expected they would come with red plates. If it comes with no plates I can still drive it out of there and if I get stopped (which is likely) I just say I just bought it and need to register it? I wouldn't mind choosing my own plate, whats the restriction in regards to that?

The bike has to be ordered. I was told it will take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. The residency cert is valid for only 30 days someone mentioned so I can see that catching me out but we shall see. I want to order the bike now and will get registration in the next 10 days, I resume that it will be ok to hand over all the paperwork at that point and not when I put the order/deposit down.

Just now, farang51 said:

You don't need that in Phuket.

The TM30 is needed in Phuket. I brought the rent contract but I do not remember if they wanted to see it.

Patong immigration anytime ive been in there was the same older guy who is very efficient and doesn't seem to make things too difficult. I only been to Phuket town for my drivers license and that was a bit of a PITA

20 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

This isn't always the case - in fact if you're paying cash, some dealers, for some models actually don't want to sell it you, as they'd much rather a thai bought if with finance.

Ive heard this and asked this to a few different dealers they said either is ok. That was over the phone see if that's the case in reality. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Startmeup said:
50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No im only back a week. I'll bring my girl with me and should be able to talk them around.

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

have registered numerous bikes and cars myself as I didn't want to wait for the dealership to deal with it, especially as my Bikes were delivered without any numberplate at all and I didn't like that.

This is all new to me, I just expected they would come with red plates. If it comes with no plates I can still drive it out of there and if I get stopped (which is likely) I just say I just bought it and need to register it? I wouldn't mind choosing my own plate, whats the restriction in regards to that?

It may come with red plates (ask the dealer) as in places such as Phuket the Police could be a little 'greasier' than they are in Bangkok - So IMO, best to have red plates (ask for this when booking the bike) - Others who've bought bikes in Phuket will know more about this.

The process to 'choose your own plates' is basically the registration process that the dealer would otherwise go through.

IF this is the case, the dealer doesn't need anything other than payment.

The Certificate of Residence is for the Registration process.

- You go to the DLT (registration counter - you'll have to fund that)

- You'll need your Bike details chassis number etc (and purchase receipt).

- You choose 3 numbers you like

- At another counter they tell you which of those numbers are available and you chose one.

- They take your Certificate of Address and give you a receipt (which states your new number) 

- You give the receipt to your dealer - the plate takes a few weeks, when its ready the dealer will contact you to get it fixed.

The bike has to be ordered. I was told it will take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. The residency cert is valid for only 30 days someone mentioned so I can see that catching me out but we shall see.

There is no clarity on the length of validity of the Certificate of Residence - I always thought it was 90 days.

You don't need to show the Certificate of Residence for purchase - its only needed for Registration, so you can go and get when the bike is ready to be picked up (note - sometimes there is a wait for the Certificate of Residence unless they are Ok to take a 'donation' for this to be fast tracked)

I want to order the bike now and will get registration in the next 10 days, I resume that it will be ok to hand over all the paperwork at that point and not when I put the order/deposit down.

That will all be fine.

As per farang51 (with local Phuket knowledge I assume) - no need for a 90 day report - so it should be easy for you to get a Certificate of Residence.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is no clarity on the length of validity of the Certificate of Residence - I always thought it was 90 days.

I was told 30 days. It does not say anything about validity on the Certificate of Residence, though.

By the way, when applying for the Certificate of Residence you have to state what you want it for; however, the certificate can be used for several things nonetheless. Mine says driver's license, buy or sell a car or open a bank account even thought I stated buying a scooter on the application

• Like 1