Thai Passport Renewal

thaiscot

Hi

My Daughter who is Thai needs a new Thai passport as her one has expired

I presume we can get from the Thai passport place in Central shopping mall ?

If so do we need to book an appointment  or rock up anytime to apply

She is going overseas on a school trip at end of February  so will need to get her a new passport 

Regards

36 minutes ago, thaiscot said:

Hi

My Daughter who is Thai needs a new Thai passport as her one has expired

I presume we can get from the Thai passport place in Central shopping mall ?

If so do we need to book an appointment  or rock up anytime to apply

She is going overseas on a school trip at end of February  so will need to get her a new passport 

Regards

Go anytime during their opening hours. No appt required.

She will need her ID card, and of course her Mothers ID. I don't think the Tibbian baan is required, but no harm in taking it. Take your passport, as they may ask to see it/sign a paper.

They will send the new passport to your home address within 3-4 days, or you can opt to pick it up.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/29/2024 at 8:42 AM, ripstanley said:

Do both parents need to attend? Do they take the photos there?

In Bangkok (and on MFA web site is says everywhere) they require both parents to attend if the 'child' is under the age of 20, unless a parent that doesn't attend provides a letter of authority allowing their kid to have a passport, which letter has to be issued by the district office where the parent's ID card is issued - can't just be any old letter ...

Which can lead to the ridiculous situation whereby a 19-year old, living independently overseas, can fly solo into Thailand on a soon-to-expire Thai passport but then needs parental authority to get a new passport to fly out ... (I speak from recent experience)

They take the photos at the passport office using a professional grade digital camera. It all looks very efficient (in and out in 15 mins if you book an appointment) until you start to consider how much money was wasted to buy 1,000 or whatever cameras, 1,000 fingerprint scanners, 1,000 printers, 1,000 computers, 1,000 tables and chairs and then to pay wages of 1,000 passport processing staff.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

No, both not required.  

Both need to attend if child is under 20, according to MFA web site, unless the non-attending parent gets a letter from district office saying that he/she consents to the child having a passport.

29 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

In Bangkok (and on MFA web site is says everywhere) they require both parents to attend if the 'child' is under the age of 20, unless a parent that doesn't attend provides a letter of authority allowing their kid to have a passport, which letter has to be issued by the district office where the parent's ID card is issued - can't just be any old letter ...

Which can lead to the ridiculous situation whereby a 19-year old, living independently overseas, can fly solo into Thailand on a soon-to-expire Thai passport but then needs parental authority to get a new passport to fly out ... (I speak from recent experience)

They take the photos at the passport office using a professional grade digital camera. It all looks very efficient (in and out in 15 mins if you book an appointment) until you start to consider how much money was wasted to buy 1,000 or whatever cameras, 1,000 fingerprint scanners, 1,000 printers, 1,000 computers, 1,000 tables and chairs and then to pay wages of 1,000 passport processing staff.

Thankyou for your post.

Update - went to office at Central ( chiangrai ) on Monday morning  was a lot of people in there but we got a queue  number & was only waiting  around 20 mins before being  called to a desk & daughter got photo taken , eyes & fingerprints  taken & was out in around an hr

Got passport in post on weds morning so only 1 1/2 days (was very surprised)

Great  & easy service well impressed 

• Thanks 1