Yamaha Fino

Donnyboy

am in the market to buy a motorbike in the next month or so.

I quite like the look of the Fino but havent yet test riden one. Has anyone got one that would like to comment.

the bike is going to be used for general trips to 7-11 and local markets, bank etc and not long trips- have a car for that.

cheers

I quite like the look of the Fino but havent yet test riden one. Has anyone got one that would like to comment.

the bike is going to be used for general trips to 7-11 and local markets, bank etc and not long trips- have a car for that.

cheers

Yep. I got one for my Thai girlfriend but she uses my Yamaha Nouvo and I use her Fino. The Yamaha Nouvo is theoretically the best bike in the Yamaha lineup in my opinion. It has large 16 inch diameter wheels and tires for greater stability. It weighs around 30 to 35 pounds more than the Fino, and there are some nice touches all around. For instance, the Nouvo has an automatic choke. It has substantial under the seat storage. The Fino does not. So when it comes to getting a lot of groceries, my girlfriend will use my Nouvo over her Fino. The Nouvo also has two shocks on the rear, the Fino like the Mio and the Honda Click has a single shock absorber so for the big loads the Nouvo is better. And for some reason although the Fino, Mio and Nouvo all share the same 115 cc. engine, my nouvo accelerates faster than her Fino.

Okay.....all that's on paper and on paper I would not personally drive the Fino. But I live in Pattaya where one is not going to go very fast anyway due to traffic and the insane driving of many if not most Thais. Truth is, the way I drive and under these driving conditions I could easily be happy with the Fino. It is by far the best looking motorbike around. Ying and I can sit in a bar together and look out on the Fino as I admire its peerless Italian inspired lines. And for some reason, this particular Fino has better brakes than my Nouvo. It's very quiet and it's extremely agile and smooth. It's a very nice machine and it only costs 40,000 baht. On the other hand Nouvos are now going for around 48,000 baht so it's a steal as well. Going at speeds past 35 miles an hour or so, the Nouvo is going to seem more stable but 35 miles an hour is fast enough to get you somewhere here in Pattaya in a hurry. I'd say it is up to you. The two bikes feel substantually different from each other when you drive them but both drive very well within their respective limitations and both represent as far as I'm concerned the state of the art in motorbike evolutionary development and design. For driving in city environments such as Pattaya both bikes are very superior to machines like the Phantom and 150 cc. Honda discussed at length here let alone bigger bikes like 400's, Honda Steeds or anything similar. Do note that I mentioned driving under conditions similar to what Pattaya offers. If I lived upcountry and found I was driving under different conditions I might well think otherwise.

Try riding one of each, then makeup your own mind.

i dont ride a bike (wish i was confident enough to do so but as i live on phuket, maybe im much better off not riding) but i think that the fino is a sexy looking little bike. if i did buy a bike, i would buy a fino. just coz its pretty. no other reason.

i dont ride a bike (wish i was confident enough to do so but as i live on phuket, maybe im much better off not riding) but i think that the fino is a sexy looking little bike. if i did buy a bike, i would buy a fino. just coz its pretty. no other reason.

thats the real reason why Im thinking of buying one. The sexy looking lines and curves and being a Yamaha would give it some reliability I would imagine. JRD have a retro looking scooter but I know of many that have problems with them.

Yamaha Thailand have a good looking site as well. HERE

I am a Yamaha fan; have bought three of them (different models) and think they are better than Hondas. Fino is just a Mio with retro plastics and instrumentation. Should be ok to buy one, but remember its just a small scooter for pottering around on. If you need to carry two people regularly plus shopping, etc, you may be better with a Honda Wave (or the equvilant from other manufacturers). I am also not convinced about the durability of the auto transmissions; this is discussed extensively on ThaiVisa, so do a search. The step through/Waves have proven themselves over the decades; not the same case with the autos. Certainly the autos are easy to drive.

I am a Yamaha fan; have bought three of them (different models) and think they are better than Hondas. Fino is just a Mio with retro plastics and instrumentation. Should be ok to buy one, but remember its just a small scooter for pottering around on. If you need to carry two people regularly plus shopping, etc, you may be better with a Honda Wave (or the equvilant from other manufacturers). I am also not convinced about the durability of the auto transmissions; this is discussed extensively on ThaiVisa, so do a search. The step through/Waves have proven themselves over the decades; not the same case with the autos. Certainly the autos are easy to drive.

cheers will look it up. As mentioned the bike is basically going down 1-2 kms to the bank, market, somtum stall and not long trips. Maybe a 2nd hand bike maybe better, come to think of it. Who knows, probably better to buy new if theres little in price difference.

cheers

I bought one of the first ones out last November for my girlfriend, though in Bangkok traffic I am usually the one driving. I've had many bikes, the last two HDs, and have been surprised at how much I like the Fino. The initial attraction for my GF was the looks, and I also like the neo-retro look of the little scooter. We buzz all around BKK on this thing, and I have zero complaints. While some have commented on the lack of dual rear shocks, we have not found it to be a problem. The brakes are good (get the model with front disk brakes, not the cheaper one with drum).

For the purpose you've identified - similar to mine - you should be quite happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...
I am also not convinced about the durability of the auto transmissions; this is discussed extensively on ThaiVisa, so do a search. The step through/Waves have proven themselves over the decades; not the same case with the autos. Certainly the autos are easy to drive.

Not convinced of the durability of auto transmissions?

I've been riding auto Yamaha scooters since late 1980's and have NEVER had a transmission problem. There's no doubt an auto transmission will outlast a manual one just because it's not prone to the rider abuse of a manual box. There is just far less wear and tear.

I've also ridden the Honda Wave (125cc) for about 4 years. The auto Yamaha wins hands down....and now the auto Honda (Air Blade) is right up there too.

Just got back from a 10 day trip to the U.S. This was for a farm director's meeting. I think I mentioned the fact that I farmed for 23 years and I lived on that farm. I notice that my tenant who now lives in the house I once lived in has a new Woods mower to replace the Grasshopper mower I used for years. These things have basically a variable speed transmission that I described in an earlier post and trust me, they are better than sliced bread. I also asked my tenant's father who also happens to be my best friend and to say that my pal is mechanically inclined is like saying Rembrandt was a good painter. Jack told me that the same types of automatic transmissions that are currently in motorbikes like the Airblade, Nouvo, Fino and Mio have been used in snowmobiles for years and there have been very few problems. I used to laugh at Jack for having three used snowmobiles since I felt the deep snows he was looking forward to seeing were well behind us. I also bought a Consumer Reports in the states and that this entire issue is devoted to cars and that there seems to be a number of cars now coming out with variable speed automatic transmissions.

This is a proven technology and one which Yamaha adopted years ago, which it has been perfecting in its motorbikes. To remain competitive Honda had to make a move so it came out with the Honda Click and more recently its Air Blade. I look at such machines as cutting edge in today's Asian market and that machines such as the Honda Wave are cheaper alternatives but which are nevertheless, for at least the type of driving one typically encounters here in Pattaya, more for the guy who really can't quite afford the very best. For this kind of driving I view getting even a much bigger bike, even if someone gave me a nice BMW 800 which I think is a terrific machine for countries like the U.S. a step down when it comes to everyday practicality here in Pattaya, driving ease and comfort (under again these conditions), enjoyment of driving. As to manual transmission machines such as the Honda Wave, the Phantom, and a few others I view them....and again I want to quality what I have to say, I find these to be absolute dinosaurs compared to the current crop of automatic machines when it comes to a beautifully conceived, well styled, eminently practical, easy to drive, cheap to operate, machinery for the kinds of conditions I am confronted with on an everyday basis. But would I have my Nouvo back on the farm? No way. I had at different times two 185 cc. Honda XL on off road manual transmission dirt bikes and they were terrific for what I really needed. Then there was that Honda thumper with a 500 c.c. engine which was a giganticized version of those two 185's. Sure, it was powerful and could go up and down the interstate passing cars but it just wasn't as practical for what I really needed. I once had a 650 cc. BMW twin---an R-65, but later I got the 1985 BMW 1000 K-100 RS that would do 140 miles an hour back then and zero to 100 miles an hour in 7 seconds (BMW and practically everyone else has much faster machines now), but I'll tell you what, in the real world, for everyday driving on the road in a variety of conditions that little 650 would beat out that gorgeous 1000 c.c. speed demon most of the time, even when it came to touring across the country for 500 miles a day with a girl sitting behind me. Bigger is not always better. And these little automatics are really all the machine most of us really need here while driving in Thailand cities.

• 2 months later...

I am looking for a Fino Owner/User manual in English, can anyone help?

• 2 years later...

The Fino is a fine little bike, we use ours everyday and often do 30 km per day around Pattaya area, both 2 up and solo. Good acceleration, buzzing around heavy traffic a pleasure compared to my HD.

If you like the look, buy one, end of story :)

• 1 year later...

cheers

I bought one of the first ones out last November for my girlfriend, though in Bangkok traffic I am usually the one driving. I've had many bikes, the last two HDs, and have been surprised at how much I like the Fino. The initial attraction for my GF was the looks, and I also like the neo-retro look of the little scooter. We buzz all around BKK on this thing, and I have zero complaints. While some have commented on the lack of dual rear shocks, we have not found it to be a problem. The brakes are good (get the model with front disk brakes, not the cheaper one with drum).

For the purpose you've identified - similar to mine - you should be quite happy with it.

HDs????? Harley Davidsons???? I thought you said you liked motorcycles

cheers

Yep. I got one for my Thai girlfriend but she uses my Yamaha Nouvo and I use her Fino. The Yamaha Nouvo is theoretically the best bike in the Yamaha lineup in my opinion. It has large 16 inch diameter wheels and tires for greater stability. It weighs around 30 to 35 pounds more than the Fino, and there are some nice touches all around. For instance, the Nouvo has an automatic choke. It has substantial under the seat storage. The Fino does not. So when it comes to getting a lot of groceries, my girlfriend will use my Nouvo over her Fino. The Nouvo also has two shocks on the rear, the Fino like the Mio and the Honda Click has a single shock absorber so for the big loads the Nouvo is better. And for some reason although the Fino, Mio and Nouvo all share the same 115 cc. engine, my nouvo accelerates faster than her Fino.

Okay.....all that's on paper and on paper I would not personally drive the Fino. But I live in Pattaya where one is not going to go very fast anyway due to traffic and the insane driving of many if not most Thais. Truth is, the way I drive and under these driving conditions I could easily be happy with the Fino. It is by far the best looking motorbike around. Ying and I can sit in a bar together and look out on the Fino as I admire its peerless Italian inspired lines. And for some reason, this particular Fino has better brakes than my Nouvo. It's very quiet and it's extremely agile and smooth. It's a very nice machine and it only costs 40,000 baht. On the other hand Nouvos are now going for around 48,000 baht so it's a steal as well. Going at speeds past 35 miles an hour or so, the Nouvo is going to seem more stable but 35 miles an hour is fast enough to get you somewhere here in Pattaya in a hurry. I'd say it is up to you. The two bikes feel substantually different from each other when you drive them but both drive very well within their respective limitations and both represent as far as I'm concerned the state of the art in motorbike evolutionary development and design. For driving in city environments such as Pattaya both bikes are very superior to machines like the Phantom and 150 cc. Honda discussed at length here let alone bigger bikes like 400's, Honda Steeds or anything similar. Do note that I mentioned driving under conditions similar to what Pattaya offers. If I lived upcountry and found I was driving under different conditions I might well think otherwise.

"insane driving of many if not most Thais"? I rode motorcycles for many years in the USA and now I live in Thailand and ride. I'll take Thai drivers over American drivers any time. Anyone who has ridden in the USA very long has experienced at least once some auto driver trying to kill them. Or maybe in some cases they just think its fun to try to run a motorcycle off the road. Its hard to differentiate between crazy and homocidal.

Great little bikes but there are a few larger engines to be had, which come in the Mio 125 and the Nouvo elegance 135.

The Mio 125 has a fairly large storage compartment under the seat and has served me and my girlfriend well for trips to 7/11, the market and lite trips to Big C :)

The Fino is really in a league of it's own if that's the style of bike she wants but just a little more money for the Mio 125 will get you a bigger engine, twin head lamps (who knows when the single bulb will blow on the fino) and larger under seat storage.

If you'll be using the bike yourself and two up then the Mio and Nouvo Elegance would be better options in my opinion :)

• 9 months later...

cheers

"insane driving of many if not most Thais"? I rode motorcycles for many years in the USA and now I live in Thailand and ride. I'll take Thai drivers over American drivers any time. Anyone who has ridden in the USA very long has experienced at least once some auto driver trying to kill them. Or maybe in some cases they just think its fun to try to run a motorcycle off the road. Its hard to differentiate between crazy and homocidal.

I have a brand new Fino 115 customised. Can anyone tell me if it is OK to run it on 91 unleaded green fuel? Or do I have to use the more expensive 91 red?

I bought my tgf a fino. It was a great little bike to ride. I loved the seat very soft compared to my Nouvo. Nippy to ride around town. The biggest problem for me was starting it. In the morning it would take 5 or 6 goes on the starter button to fire up. If you left it for a few days it would take several minutes to start. Main reason i got rid of it and would never buy another.