Family friendly resort? (Part 2)

sambum

"Aseannow" should be renamed "Pattayanow"!

The headline posts nearly every day are about bad behaviour in Pattaya. These are for the most part usually concerning tourists/foreigners - at least these are the majority of incidents reported.

I know it's a very difficult problem to resolve, but it makes nonsense of the Police and TAT's assurances that Pattaya is a wonderful place for anyone to visit, and their assertions that everything is being done to counteract anything "damaging to the image of Pattaya"!

• Confused 5

8 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Aseannow" should be renamed "Pattayanow"!

The headline posts nearly every day are about bad behaviour in Pattaya. These are for the most part usually concerning tourists/foreigners - at least these are the majority of incidents reported.

I know it's a very difficult problem to resolve, but it makes nonsense of the Police and TAT's assurances that Pattaya is a wonderful place for anyone to visit, and their assertions that everything is being done to counteract anything "damaging to the image of Pattaya"!

Depends what image they want Pattaya to have.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

The headline posts nearly every day are about bad behaviour in Pattaya.

"If it bleeds, it leads." Goes to back to Hearst himself, over a hundred years ago. Get with the business model. We don't like hearing any good news; we claim it's fake.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

it makes nonsense of the Police and TAT's assurances that Pattaya is a wonderful place for anyone to visit, and their assertions that everything is being done to counteract anything "damaging to the image of Pattaya"!

No. Stories about the horrific crime in Pattaya have always been a media staple, duly decried by readers and victims, or self-imagined victims, accompanied by dire predictions of the coming END of Pattaya tourism, impoverishment, and the rise of the paradise of Cambodia.

There are two types of articles appearing in the Pattaya Mail with regularity: those where business and political leaders decry the decline in tourism and propose ways to improve the situation; and a steadily increasing number of reports of tourists being insulted, assaulted, drugged, robbed and extorted. . . . Pattaya is being inundated with rude obnoxious thugs who do not care about the city or its visitors. . . . They are driving away the tourists and the income and jobs that they bring. Inevitably, this rabble will win as they reduce everyone to their level of poverty. Meanwhile, tourism to Cambodia is increasing by 50% every six months...[emphasis mine]
   --Lawrence Neal, "Down on Pattaya," Pattaya Mail, Vol. V No. 5 Friday 31 January 1997 - 6 February 1997

And that was when tourism was a mere trickle compared to what it is today. Pattaya's image hasn't been damaged in the decades ensuing. Evidently, the police and TAT have been doing a fantastic job in crime prevention and image repair. 

So, it's quite safe now for our ideal tourist. If only we could see these filling the cafes, we'd have no further complaints. Please talk to your friends and relatives.

image.jpeg.1396c6572ae310ffa1d638306ad6177b.jpeg

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

"Former fishing village Pattaya became popular with American troops on 'rest and relaxation' breaks in the 1960s when the U.S. military had bases in Thailand.

False history endlessly repeated to confirm bias. Fishing village, true. Popular with troops, nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Pattaya IS a wonderful place to visit just don't let yourself get distracted by those headlines you mentioned. They are just fake news to keep those unwanted visitors (who are deterred by such news) away, too many of them in Pattaya already! 

Edited by mran66
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My problem with living in pattaya is that there are a lot of weak people around. It's possible to avoid most of them by living in a nicer building and not going out late nights wandering around on foot for example, but they are not completely avoidable. It's both thai's and foreigners. I don't care what the media or news says about the place.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

My problem with living in pattaya is that there are a lot of weak people around. It's possible to avoid most of them by living in a nicer building and not going out late nights wandering around on foot for example, but they are not completely avoidable. It's both thai's and foreigners. I don't care what the media or news says about the place.

Weak you say? I guess it's never been the same since Tony got out of the local neighbourhood gym business.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, sambum said:

I've always been happy for Pattaya to have a bad reputation. It keeps the KSR mob and families away- all good.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BigStar said:

False history endlessly repeated to confirm bias. Fishing village, true. Popular with troops, nonsense.

Then why did soldiers from the 7th RRFS outside of Udon Thanii like to go down there for in country leave?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deserted said:

Yes that's it. There aren't enough gyms in Pattaya, that's the cause of all the problems. 

Good point, then they wouldn't have the time or energy to be out at 3am trying to steal gold necklaces off Indians. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

Went to Penang, last year. Beats Phuket or Pattaya by miles. Georgetown is lovely.  Nice an civilised English speaking locals.

It's alright for a change and a short break... but I could not imagine living there long term. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:

Then why did soldiers from the 7th RRFS outside of Udon Thanii like to go down there for in country leave?  

Did you ask any? Link? Dates? Numbers?  Bangkok was the big R&R scene, for obvious reasons. I happen to know a former bomber pilot stationed at Utapao. He and his buds went to Pattaya sometimes for fishing. Had boats out to Koh Larn in those days as well. Great restful place. 🙂

31 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Did you ask any? Link? Dates? Numbers?  Bangkok was the big R&R scene, for obvious reasons. I happen to know a former bomber pilot stationed at Utapao. He and his buds went to Pattaya sometimes for fishing. Had boats out to Koh Larn in those days as well. Great restful place. 🙂

During my time there from 9/72 -5/73.  If there are any web site links on the internet about 7th RRFS personnel going there, I have not found them or did and forgot about it.  I think there may be some youtube posts about being down there. in the late 1960's up until the 7th closed in 1975 or 1976..   Personal experience of guys telling me or I overhearing them talking about going to Pattya.   Fishing and being on the beach I believe were the primary reason.   Some of them went down there with their tilaks.  

There were guys that were stationed at the 7th at least three years and one or two that may have been there 4 or more years.  Then there were guys that managed to be hired to work for the business' that were working for the U.S. government.   Federal Electric, CIA, NSA civilians, (as opposed to the NSA military grunts).  

OK, this is the first time I have seen this.  But I don't know if anyone from Radio Research was with them.  In 1959, I think all RR personel were working out of Bangkok.   There was a Radio Direction Finding (RDF) antenna array on top of a hotel in Bankok, There may have been some RDF sites someplace in Thailand but I can't remember if there was.   

I was going to post a link then realized it was from the B. Post.   Do a search with bing dot com with this term   .. did Radio Research have anyone stationed at Pattay, Thailand?

Edited by radiochaser