Chai Indian Tea

Bill97

22 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Where can I buy some to prepare at home?

Tried Rim Ping Mae Chok but they don’t have it.

Thank you.

NineLife Thailand. google search took me 3min. you are probably aware there are scores of different ones. 

why not try making your own on YouTube.

• Agree 1

Found a recipe on pantip, translated from google…

https://m.pantip.com/topic/33198147?

We make the chai drink ourselves. It's very easy. Just have 6-7 black pepper seeds, 3 slices of ginger, 4-5 Cardamom seeds, 4-5 cloves, cinnamon stick, 
Assam black tea leaves because it has a rather strong aroma. and fresh milk. We don't boil it with water because we like the nutty aroma of milk. How to make it: Bring one cup of milk to a boil along with various spices and black tea. Boil until bubbles appear, then quickly turn down the heat so as not to overflow the pot. Do this for three rounds. Turn off the heat and add sugar as desired. Strain the spices and pour them into a teacup. You'll get a milk fat topping like an Indian would make.”

• Thanks 1

There is an Indian grocery just down from Star Visa on Wichayanon Road the road that runs along the side of the US Consulate. They have plenty of Indian tea choices both loose and ready mixed. If you are a masala chai fan go for the GeeBees brand which comes both sweetened and non. if you want to make your own they have most of the herbs there including green cardamom.

Another source for herbs is the Indian place inside Kad Luang on the ground floor and there selection far surpasses that of the grocery place and they likely also sell loose tea.

• Thanks 1

this link looks good...

https://foodess.com/authentic-indian-chai-tea-recipe/

"Chai Tea Spices
If you love the flavour of North American coffee-shop chai lattes, you can buy tea masala at any Indian grocer, which is just a ground mixes of sweet spices.

I personally find those spice blends usually taste dusty. I prefer to infuse my chai with fresh whole spices instead.

Some of the most common spices (masala) used in Indian chai include:

cinnamon sticks (or 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon)
fresh ginger
whole cloves
green cardamom pods (or a pinch of ground cardamom)
nutmeg
allspice
star anise
fennel
black peppercorns"

On 1/30/2024 at 8:56 PM, Mahseer said:

There is an Indian grocery just down from Star Visa on Wichayanon Road the road that runs along the side of the US Consulate. They have plenty of Indian tea choices both loose and ready mixed. If you are a masala chai fan go for the GeeBees brand which comes both sweetened and non. if you want to make your own they have most of the herbs there including green cardamom.

Another source for herbs is the Indian place inside Kad Luang on the ground floor and there selection far surpasses that of the grocery place and they likely also sell loose tea.

I kind of remember another Indian Grocery store near/across the street from the Nong Hoi Market.  Do you know anything about that?

20 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

I kind of remember another Indian Grocery store near/across the street from the Nong Hoi Market.  Do you know anything about that?

No not familiar with that one. Aside from the two I mentioned the only other I know of is buried in the bowels of Muang Mai market and called India Spice Store. Excellent selection of spices and well worth a look if in the area. It's marked on Google maps.

• Thanks 1