Can anyone recommend a Thai tea which is roughly equivalent to English breakfast tea?

A lot of the options seem to have disappeared off the shelf ie Lipton, Ceylon, Typhoo, Tetley etc.

The few available have also doubled in price. just bought some in big C extra Pattaya for the equivalent price of 6.50 GBP and there was a large sticker on it with the price of 1.79 GBP😖

Now, I don't mind paying a bit extra - but combined with the fact it is getting hard to find!

So, Thai tea anyone?

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

Google Nookies Thailand , go to website ,he has 300 bags of Typhoo tea for 350 Baht,

maybe you can order some other goods he has a wide variety ,and shipping is very

reasonable compared to other sellers 

There is a shortage of some Farang goods ,Beans been one ,it's all because of whats

going on in the Red Sea area , the shipping has to now go around the cape ,takes longer

and is more expensive ,so importers are holding off importing , I could see that scenario

happening so i stocked up with a lot of goods before prices went up , better than money

in the bank at 1 % interest. 🙄

regards worgeordie

Paul is a Top man. Dropping off my order next week.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Google Nookies Thailand , go to website ,he has 300 bags of Typhoo tea for 350 Baht,

maybe you can order some other goods he has a wide variety ,and shipping is very

reasonable compared to other sellers 

There is a shortage of some Farang goods ,Beans been one ,it's all because of whats

going on in the Red Sea area , the shipping has to now go around the cape ,takes longer

and is more expensive ,so importers are holding off importing , I could see that scenario

happening so i stocked up with a lot of goods before prices went up , better than money

in the bank at 1 % interest. 🙄

regards worgeordie

Thanks for that Geordie. Same scenario with coffee last year and i now get excellent coffee from Hillcoff (lazada) which some helpful posters on here had recommended.

👍

I'm an American and I used to drink Lipton, then I tried Twinings Earl Grey, now I know why some people say Lipton is just brown water.  

Twinings is my favorite, available all over Thailand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bbko said:

I'm an American and I used to drink Lipton, then I tried Twinings Earl Grey, now I know why some people say Lipton is just brown water.  

I do like Earl Grey, but I am looking for an English Breakfast type tea and could not find any amongst the Twinnings selection. I agree regards Lipton, it's just about palatable if you use 2 bags🙂

2 hours ago, bbko said:

Lipton is the tea equivalent of McDonalds. Available everywhere but not that good.

• Like 1

I get my tea from Ireland. For ages I wanted to try Barry's tea - for obvious reasons (see my name). One day when I checked their website they had a nice anniversary tin, so I ordered. I get their black-boxed Classic blend (now says Masterblend on my latest box), 80 bags for less than 9 Euros including delivery, which takes about 10 days or so.

Now I'll say something that will draw scorn and insults, The tea is so strong that I use the bag twice, and it's still strong. It's fine for me, so keep any insults to yourself, please.

Barry's Tea.jpg

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Thumbs Up 1

Now seriously folks !

Legend has it that  "tea" is the most consumed liquid product in the world .

Infusions  of a  leaf  ?

What happened to wine, coffee , beer ?

Tannin helps  make good leather.

I prefer to get well strapped  on good red wine.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/14/2024 at 6:02 AM, jaiyenyen said:

I buy both Typhoo and Tetly tea bags on Lazada or Shopee Both are around 200 baht for 100 bags.

No complaints, and delivered within a couple of days.

Thanks for that Jai, I have also seen Thai grown Ceylon tea on there which I am going to try, but I have enough right now🙂

2 hours ago, Dancer57 said:

Thanks for that Lemon, I received this and it suits my taste:

Tata Gold, from India, 200B for 500g 👍 and fast delivery.

Glad you like it. Keep it in a well sealed container  and it’ll last you ages, loads cheaper than bags too.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2024 at 3:30 AM, bbko said:

Lipton=trash

twinings is englsih and they are tea snobs=quality    Im in Cm and have a tea lady I found who has realy good chinese teas Bi Lou Chun...my favorite by far aka snail tea

then jasmine dragon pearl hand rolled.....she gives me a discount as I buy in bulk and will switch any that is old and lacks aroma......can usually get a brick for 150 bt of either

rimping has some good choices bt at a price...i actually liked the local jasmine loose that comes in small green box and is about 30 bt.......but i bring a ton of tea with me from home

china airport layover thought i was smuggling drugs! lol tea lord!

On 4/11/2024 at 12:54 PM, lemonjelly said:

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.nPTCc

this stuff is great, just needs a tea strainer and tea pot which are cheap n easy to find

Wow thanks for that LJ

Just received my order and had a wonderful cuppa.

I have thrown away 5 packets of teabags this year, they all taste stale.

This stuff is fresh.

Tata own Tetley Tea so it should be as good or better because it hasn't been shipped across the world.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2024 at 1:02 PM, lemonjelly said:

Glad you like it. Keep it in a well sealed container  and it’ll last you ages, loads cheaper than bags too.

What does the Tata Gold taste like? English Breakfast or something else? tried the Tata Premium?

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

What does the Tata Gold taste like? English Breakfast or something else? tried the Tata Premium?

I’ve not tried Tata Premium yet. Tata Gold makes a good brew, full bodied might be something to describe it.  I wouldn’t know how it compares to English Breakfast tea, been so long since I tried English Breakfast tea. Can’t go wrong with the Tata Gold, but it does need storing in an air tight container as ½ kg will last you ages

I buy the Waitrose Original Blend tea bags (fair trade) or the Marks & Spencer gold teabags if I can't find those, and IMO both of these make a good strong cup of tea, which is to my liking......I'm not really worried about the price because a good strong cup of tea is a priority, no matter what the cost!