Altercation Turns Violent: Englishman and wife injured in Knife Duel

webfact

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In Thailand there seems to be almost no barrier from a few words to grabbing the next available knife.

After my nephew was in a near miss fight - - my wife told me, 'the blood gets hot' 

9 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Finding another bird might take a very long time (unlike in Thailand)!😁

And there arises the grand old question, is it better to be with somebody who is terrible, or you don't get along with, and you don't enjoy being with, or is it better to be alone seeking out somebody who is worthy? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, retarius said:

My wife once employed a couple to be maid & gardener/driver for us. They lived on the property. One night the guy got drunk, and the woman pulled a knife on him. He ran into our house and complained to my wife. My wife told me to get out of bed and go to the woman and calm her down....which I did but not without some trepidation. They're no longer with us.

Wise, fortunate one of them was not a relative of the wife!

23 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Whenever I hear a friend or acquaintance discussing marital issues with their Thai wives/GF, the only advice I offer is "hide the knives and scissors". :coffee1:

The advice I give is to take steps to avoid these nutters. F•ck*ing big uns. in the opposite direction back to civilised countries 

16 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You should know before you marry someone.

I fully agree, you 'should' know, but people do strange things when in an awkward situation, that they have never been in before and may turn to instinct.

Back in '04-'09 I was renting a room in South Pattaya so I didn't have to keep checking in/out of hotels on every trip while I was working overseas.

One day I was having coffee at the "bar" on the bottom floor when there was a commotion from the building next door.

Girl (early 20s) comes out onto the street screaming and crying - and holding a large butcher knife.

A minute later a guy (early 20s) comes out clutching his upper arm which was bleeding from a large cut.

I was sort of "ushered off" by the family that owned the building I was in so that no one would try to involve me. Not sure why but the argument may have been about "foreigners" or "not about foreigners". (As in, maybe he was angry because she wasn't bringing home enough money and she was angry that he wanted her to shag foreigners for money. Someone thought seeing a foreigner sitting there might trigger one or both of them so they hussled me away.)

A couple years earlier there was another girl that was living in the same building I was in. She and her "sister" worked in a go-go bar that a friend of mine managed. Turns out one of them met a "karaoke boy" soon after arriving in Pattaya and he immediately moved himself into the room she was renting with her sister.

That came to an abrupt end a couple months later when she came downstairs one day with bruises on her arms and face. When the "elder sister" of the family that owned the building saw that, he was out the door and gone within minutes, never to return. (Apparently he'd roughed her up because she wasn't sleeping with foreigners for money and he wanted her to start so she'd have more money to give him.)
(She ended up moving back home not long afterthat as well.)

I just told my buddy to be really careful about getting involved in domestic disputes over here. He had a bit of a scare last year when he saw a Thai guy he thought was beating up a girl near the apartment building he was living in.
He tried to intervene and of course the guy started threatening him. My friend was 76 and skinny as a rake so he wouldn't have had much of a chance but luckily there were other people in the area and the situation settled down.

I told him he had to be careful because he might think he's saving the girl only to end up with her and the guy both attacking him.

• Agree 1

On 1/31/2024 at 7:14 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Love is pain.

Celibacy is the only way to go.

They are out of Control, Cheating, Lying, Stealing are the parents demanding so much money now to pay Covid Loans , I don’t trust any of them 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And there arises the grand old question, is it better to be with somebody who is terrible, or you don't get along with, and you don't enjoy being with, or is it better to be alone seeking out somebody who is worthy? 

And there arises the grand old question, is it better to get divorced and end up living in a sh*tty place and struggling for money, and pretty much never seeing your kids?!

What awaits after getting a 'clean-break' from your unhappy/dysfuntional marriage could be even worse? Another thing, and something I've read about in agony-aunt kind of things, is that once someone becomes single/divorces, all of their social circle and friends disappear, their 'support-network'.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Dave0206 said:

Obviously the cost of living in uk has gone up a lot I assume since you are 50+ with expired safety certificates ect offshore no more? Have you been able to earn enough to survive and put a little aside or is UK 🇬🇧 now more difficult than before?

Yes, I am managing ok on about 1500 a month, but I'm having to live in a shared place to achieve that, managing to save some money. As I mentioned the main thing was that I had a good sum of money behind me when I returned. I could buy decent cars for cash etc. Pay thousands in rent/deposits. I still have zero debt, and plenty of savings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, uttradit said:

Get a divorce then. Find a better woman. Your friends must have bad taste in women too as many are patient and nice.

I will / I am and there will be a better woman somewhere in the future, but I shan't bother marrying.

my ex tried to stab me twice.... in front of children...

they helped take out the knife out of her hands

then she called the police....

looooooooooooooooooooool

kids were witness, but she tried to convince them to lie that I hurt her...

looooooooooooooooooooool

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/1/2024 at 1:04 AM, spidermike007 said:

You forgot the 3rd option.  Being fine with being single and not looking at all.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

You forgot the 3rd option.  Being fine with being single and not looking at all.

That can be a very healthy option. I have a great, long term relationship. But if I were ever single again, I would stay that way.

24 minutes ago, steven100 said:

actually this is quite rare in Thailand '    I mean it's usually the wife that has the knife wanting to stab the farang not the other way around.

Was he on drugs?

Nah, as usual she had the knife and got cut swinging at him.

• Like 2