UNRWA Faces Funding Crisis Amid Allegations, Guterres Appeals for Continued Support

1 minute ago, Morch said:

The topic itself is about such reservations. Similar issues came up in the past. I understand that you now imagine I should ignore anything but the article you linked, but that's not obligatory. My suggestion was that you go and read the OP - as in the first post on this topic.

That they were not seriously pressured is not speculative. That such a pressure plus changes in the political situation (as in Hamas out of the picture, PA reformed) is rather probable.

You can 'point out' whatever you like. Your comments were already addressed.

I don't recognize the validity of the analogy. I'm not interested in your analogies. My comment was about 'lead by example'.

You just don't get it, do you?

Israel has clearly stated for decades that it wants UNRWA destroyed. It hates the organization fervently. It has tried to smear it and de fund it for decades. Bibi literally said the victory won't be complete until UNRWA is finished. Yet you still believe the smears and lies, even when independent media in the West - the UK's channel 4 - get a hold of the complete intelligence dossier and found it contained no evidence for any of its accusations. Look at this picture of a crowd in Israel demanding UNRWA must be disbanded.

Screenshot(73).png.16499b2bb7587d943377cd7d5594653d.png

Do you believe that Russia really invaded Ukraine to de nazify the country? If not, why do you trust propaganda without any evidence from Israel, but you don't trust propaganda from Russia?

Quite simply, the conversation is pointless anyway. Aid needs to enter Gaza. The ICJ has ruled on this, and all signatories to the genocide convention must abide by it. UNRWA is the only agency who is able to deliver aid at this moment in time. The accused have been fired and investigations are ongoing. Now the European Union is backtracking. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The topic is about reservations subsequent to the Israeli report. Nothing in it about reservations previous to that report. All you have to do to prove me wrong is point out where in the OP, previous reservations are referenced. Good luck with that.

Whatever the case may be about previous pressure, what is speculative is that serious pressure will make a difference.

Yes, My comments were addressed by you. And, as I pointed out, poorly.

Whether or not you recognized the validity of the analogy, I made a literal explanation for you. And lead by example? You think this is some kind of feel good Hollywood tale?

You are being disingenuous, at best. Trump's administration already stopped funding once. And reservations regarding UNRWA's failings, actions, attitudes were expressed numerous times by other governments as well. I don't think you're unaware of these.

You can go on about 'speculative'. Given the reasons for said countries not playing a larger role, or not working through UNRWA my comment is solid enough, whereas you got nothing on offer.

You can say 'poorly', doesn't make it so. Didn't think much of your 'comments' either.

Your analogy was irrelevant. Your 'explanation' as well. Highly paid officials bringing up higher costs of underlings meager salaries is not a sign of leadership, but of a disconnect. I think you're over doing the 'you think?' act.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Israel has clearly stated for decades that it wants UNRWA destroyed. It hates the organization fervently. It has tried to smear it and de fund it for decades. Bibi literally said the victory won't be complete until UNRWA is finished. Yet you still believe the smears and lies, even when independent media in the West - the UK's channel 4 - get a hold of the complete intelligence dossier and found it contained no evidence for any of its accusations. Look at this picture of a crowd in Israel demanding UNRWA must be disbanded.

Do you believe that Russia really invaded Ukraine to de nazify the country? If not, why do you trust propaganda without any evidence from Israel, but you don't trust propaganda from Russia?

Quite simply, the conversation is pointless anyway. Aid needs to enter Gaza. The ICJ has ruled on this, and all signatories to the genocide convention must abide by it. UNRWA is the only agency who is able to deliver aid at this moment in time. The accused have been fired and investigations are ongoing. Now the European Union is backtracking. 

There could be genuine reasons for that, this is not new, the concerns that UNRWA were infiltrated have been around for years. The UN has even highlighted how its schools have been used for terror. Here's just one report from 2014

UNRWA CONDEMNS PLACEMENT OF ROCKETS, FOR A SECOND TIME, IN ONE OF ITS SCHOOLS

https://www.unrwa.org/newsroom/press-releases/unrwa-condemns-placement-rockets-second-time-one-its-schools

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

I get that you treat things as facts, regardless of them being proven to be such or not. Or, alternatively, that you cease on anything which might be painted as 'proof' regardless of whether it's been proven or not.

I don't know that Netnayahu actually made the comment you allege, could have missed it. Unlike many of you, I'm pretty consistent in my take on Netanyahu - as in not putting a whole lot of stock in what he says.

No idea what you wanted with that picture, or how it supports your argument.

No idea why you bring Russia/Ukraine into this, either.

You have not actually demonstrated much of your claims. Just a lot of bluster.

From 2021

Palestinian Schools Have a Problem—and Are Running Out of Time

The U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees has failed to fulfill demands for reform—and may soon face the consequences.

When former U.S. President Donald Trump cut off U.S. funding to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) in 2018, he was widely criticized for eliminating a crucial source of humanitarian aid to Palestinians in need. Even critics of the embattled U.N. agency called the decision a mistake, arguing that working with UNRWA, not against it, was the best way to facilitate long-needed reform.

Eliminating antisemitism, incitement, and links to terrorism might sound like obvious conditions for a U.N. agency whose slogan is “Peace Starts Here.” But it’s far from clear whether these are conditions—especially as applied to UNRWA’s educational programs—the organization will be able to fulfill.

https://archive.ph/POSpz

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/11/05/unrwa-palestine-israel-refugees-united-states-funding-corruption-education/

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

From 2021

Palestinian Schools Have a Problem—and Are Running Out of Time

The U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees has failed to fulfill demands for reform—and may soon face the consequences.

When former U.S. President Donald Trump cut off U.S. funding to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) in 2018, he was widely criticized for eliminating a crucial source of humanitarian aid to Palestinians in need. Even critics of the embattled U.N. agency called the decision a mistake, arguing that working with UNRWA, not against it, was the best way to facilitate long-needed reform.

Eliminating antisemitism, incitement, and links to terrorism might sound like obvious conditions for a U.N. agency whose slogan is “Peace Starts Here.” But it’s far from clear whether these are conditions—especially as applied to UNRWA’s educational programs—the organization will be able to fulfill.

https://archive.ph/POSpz

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/11/05/unrwa-palestine-israel-refugees-united-states-funding-corruption-education/

This has nothing to do with the conversation. Schools are not even open, most of them have been blown up. Aid must enter Gaza now. Stop blocking the aid Israel.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

This has nothing to do with the conversation. Schools are not even open, most of them have been blown up. Aid must enter Gaza now. Stop blocking the aid Israel.

This has everything to do with UNRWA and will post as I see fit. The fact that this is not the first time the US its largest donor has suspended aid is significant.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

Why did the UNRWA have. major Hamas data center at its HQ in Gaza city?

We did not know’: Hamas data center directly under UNRWA Gaza City HQ

https://aseannow.com/topic/1319608-‘we-did-not-know’-hamas-data-center-directly-under-unrwa-gaza-city-hq/

• Thanks 1