Water tank cleaning

bubblegum

7 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Didn't know the basic simple task of syphoning could be so complicated  :wacko:

Neither did I !! Personally I learned the basics when I was knee high to a grasshopper and find it incredible that it’s something that can be so misunderstood.

Love the artwork.:thumbsup: 

Thanks, I see the hours spent are showing through 😜

Just to clear up a point, you have to move the suction end in the tank around the bottom to get the gunk, leaving it in just one place will only suck a hole in the gunk, it has to be moved around.

Well I thought my original reply was enough but probably not, so no harm in belabouring something that is obvious to me

Another way of filling the syphon hose is to shove the whole hose into the tank so it gets full of water. Block the end, so the water doesn't run back into the tank as you quickly whip the hose out and lay it on the floor. If it's done right the syphoning should start.

It certainly should but that maybe somewhat more challenging.

It's how I empty the kids paddling pool, using a 1/2 hose with my thumb over the end. Works every time.

With that your reservoir opening is large, the drain is small and you aren’t sucking gunk out. So a bit less good of a technique IMHO.

There is one point that hasn’t been made and that is that letting water flow into the tank during siphoning is a good idea.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thumbs Up 1