UK frozen pension returning to UK and going overseas again at a later date!

@Thailand

My personal experience is very different from what I have read at the start of this thread.

I had been Thai resident for many years and my UK State Pension was frozen as of the date I left the UK in 2004. In 2018 I returned to the UK, purchased a flat and set about making myself UK resident once again. It took about three months and required support of my MP and also a letter to the Secretary of State, Amber Rudd. My intention at the time was to spend 6 months in the UK and 6 months in Thailand but to be UK resident for all purposes.

After 3 months I received a letter from DWP confirming that I was once again UK resident and that my UK State Pension would be permanently uprated, the letter is copied below but is redacted to protect personal information.  After a further two months I left the UK and returned to Thailand, the colder weather was starting to wear me down. The following year I returned to the flat and spent two months there with my wife on holiday, before we returned to Thailand. We were ticketed to return in the Spring of 2020 but Covid intervened and our flight was cancelled.....we have not returned since and the flat has remained tenanted,

Per the letter below: I am very comfortable that my permanent and settled lifestyle is that I travel frequently and spend time in different countries but always return to live on the UK, often after a period of many years away. I am also very comfortable that the next time I return to the UK I will once again claim settled UK residency and my pension will be permanently uprated. The letter follows:

I am responding to the email dated 1 April 2019 to which included the Rt. Hon Amber Rudd MP about your UK residency status.
I should explain that due to the Secretary of State’s wide ranging responsibilities, it is not always possible for her to respond to
every letter personally. In this instance I have been asked to reply.

I was sorry to read of your concerns and on receipt of your email I arrange for your UK residency status to be investigated.

I can confirm the International Group (IG) does not undertake Statutory Residence Tests (SRT). However, they did write to you
on 20 December 2018 asking some questions about your residential status in the UK and abroad, this was to establish whether
you are a habitually resident in the UK.

As you have spent a significant time abroad we needed to establish whether you are now habitually resident in the UK. I understand
that you returned to the UK on 1 July 2018, then left for an extended stay in Thailand on 6 November 2018 . As this was approximately
4 months after returning to the UK and because State Pension (SP) rates can be frozen, depending on the country of residence, IG required
information to establish whether your stay in Thailand was temporary and to confirm that your country of residence is the UK.  

**Redact** 

IG has accepted that you are habitually resident in the UK from 28 June 2018. Your SP is paid up to 27 March 2019 at £xx per week,
Increasing to £xx per week from 11 April 2019.

It may help if I explain that your country of habitual residence is not decided on the number of days spent in a particular country. IG considered your
individual circumstances, taking into account a number of factors such as:

whether you retains a residence and continues to have financial commitments in the UK, when he goes abroad
  • is your intention to return to the UK
  • did purchase a return ticket
  • do you own property abroad and have financial commitments in that country

There are other factors which IG will consider when making a habitual residence decision and each decision is based on that customer’s circumstances. 

I have asked IG to write to you to confirm they consider your country of residence to be the UK.       

In the meantime, should you have any further questions about this matter you can write to, Complaints Resolution Manager, The Pension Service 4,
Mail Handling Site A, Wolverhampton. WV98 1AG or by telephoning 0191 613 8158.

Once again thank you for your enquiry, I hope I have clarified the current position.

Yours sincerely

Complaints and Correspondence Manager

Edited by chiang mai

2 hours ago, treetops said:

Oh dear.  Mr. Misinformation is back.  Dod you lose your previous login details?

After your laughingly elongated post on this very subject, lifted from a Filipino expat rag intending to explaining all,(must say a right load of <deleted> too)  Never mind eh    Have another go, but choose wisely, or stay shtum

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:

@Thailand

My personal experience is very different from what I have read at the start of this thread.

I had been Thai resident for many years and my UK State Pension was frozen as of the date I left the UK in 2004. In 2018 I returned to the UK, purchased a flat and set about making myself UK resident once again. It took about three months and required support of my MP and also a letter to the Secretary of State, Amber Rudd. My intention at the time was to spend 6 months in the UK and 6 months in Thailand but to be UK resident for all purposes.

After 3 months I received a letter from DWP confirming that I was once again UK resident and that my UK State Pension would be permanently uprated, the letter is copied below but is redacted to protect personal information.  After a further two months I left the UK and returned to Thailand, the colder weather was starting to wear me down. The following year I returned to the flat and spent two months there with my wife on holiday, before we returned to Thailand. We were ticketed to return in the Spring of 2020 but Covid intervened and our flight was cancelled.....we have not returned since and the flat has remained tenanted,

Per the letter below: I am very comfortable that my permanent and settled lifestyle is that I travel frequently and spend time in different countries but always return to live on the UK, often after a period of many years away. I am also very comfortable that the next time I return to the UK I will once again claim settled UK residency and my pension will be permanently uprated. The letter follows:

I am responding to the email dated 1 April 2019 to which included the Rt. Hon Amber Rudd MP about your UK residency status.
I should explain that due to the Secretary of State’s wide ranging responsibilities, it is not always possible for her to respond to
every letter personally. In this instance I have been asked to reply.

I was sorry to read of your concerns and on receipt of your email I arrange for your UK residency status to be investigated.

I can confirm the International Group (IG) does not undertake Statutory Residence Tests (SRT). However, they did write to you
on 20 December 2018 asking some questions about your residential status in the UK and abroad, this was to establish whether
you are a habitually resident in the UK.

As you have spent a significant time abroad we needed to establish whether you are now habitually resident in the UK. I understand
that you returned to the UK on 1 July 2018, then left for an extended stay in Thailand on 6 November 2018 . As this was approximately
4 months after returning to the UK and because State Pension (SP) rates can be frozen, depending on the country of residence, IG required
information to establish whether your stay in Thailand was temporary and to confirm that your country of residence is the UK.  

**Redact** 

IG has accepted that you are habitually resident in the UK from 28 June 2018. Your SP is paid up to 27 March 2019 at £xx per week,
Increasing to £xx per week from 11 April 2019.

It may help if I explain that your country of habitual residence is not decided on the number of days spent in a particular country. IG considered your
individual circumstances, taking into account a number of factors such as:

whether you retains a residence and continues to have financial commitments in the UK, when he goes abroad
  • is your intention to return to the UK
  • did purchase a return ticket
  • do you own property abroad and have financial commitments in that country

There are other factors which IG will consider when making a habitual residence decision and each decision is based on that customer’s circumstances. 

I have asked IG to write to you to confirm they consider your country of residence to be the UK.       

In the meantime, should you have any further questions about this matter you can write to, Complaints Resolution Manager, The Pension Service 4,
Mail Handling Site A, Wolverhampton. WV98 1AG or by telephoning 0191 613 8158.

Once again thank you for your enquiry, I hope I have clarified the current position.

Yours sincerely

Complaints and Correspondence Manager

Seen it before, But why inform of departure Nothing to be gained, but if you are paid thru IPC ,yes will be frozen if you oblige with TH address

As explained in other posts ,there are no punishments if it is  SP   Use AI to verify

7 minutes ago, jori123 said:

There are a few things  that make TH unattractive, the up and coming taxation of farangs, weather for two, those floods are getting scary, and the food, western that is, is so damned delicious and cheap.    Early diagnosis of cancer sure saved my life, stage 1,but it takes time to get over the cure, not only the £109 tax free every week (£120 in April) The govt throws in an extra £500 to £1000 every so often, free electic,no rates, free  NHS care, always keeping tags on me, no cheap boom boom the problem

5 hours ago, jori123 said:

After your laughingly elongated post on this very subject, lifted from a Filipino expat rag intending to explaining all,(must say a right load of <deleted> too)  Never mind eh    Have another go, but choose wisely, or stay shtum

Confused again?  Seems like it, but maybe you could point the forum in the direction of this "elongated post" just to show us your post is accurate?

Thought not. 🙄

24 minutes ago, treetops said:

Confused again?  Seems like it, but maybe you could point the forum in the direction of this "elongated post" just to show us your post is accurate?

Thought not. 🙄

seems you have your panties twisted yet again, never mind, you are not worth it after exposing your exclusive rendition from a Filipino expat rag, dated years ago, which is just the opposite of quoted posts here.   be careful though ,i might find it ,then u will look the complete idiot,   Anyway, rejoice in the fact that I kept receiving a unfrozen pension there in TH  for years, plus Xmas bonus ,plus winter fuel, now finished, pure jealousy on your part   lol, never mind, another £500,plus early next year and another £20 odd untaxed per week, plus public sector, yes pure jealousy

Edited by jori123

29 minutes ago, jori123 said:

Anyway, rejoice in the fact that I kept receiving a unfrozen pension there in TH  for years, plus Xmas bonus ,

I'll rejoice in the fact that I've yet to claim but when I do I expect regular rises too plus any bonuses that are going.

6 hours ago, jori123 said:

"But why inform of departure Nothing to be gained", 

Sometimes, some of us do things, not just because there is something to be gained but because we're playing by the rules and it's the right thing to do. 

9 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

"But why inform of departure Nothing to be gained", 

Sometimes, some of us do things, not just because there is something to be gained but because we're playing by the rules and it's the right thing to do. 

if its the "right thing to do" and absolutely no punishment why put yourself in a position that jealousy springs forth, yes plenty of that" I  know someone brigade", load of tosh. After a few years of being frozen it sure diminishes the amount received, the affordability of being unfrozen probably saved my life by frequent cancer screening

1 minute ago, jori123 said:

if its the "right thing to do" and absolutely no punishment why put yourself in a position that jealousy springs forth, yes plenty of that" I  know someone brigade", load of tosh. After a few years of being frozen it sure diminishes the amount received, the affordability of being unfrozen probably saved my life by frequent cancer screening

You still don't get it, do you. The rules say I must inform DWP when I move to live overseas, the question of whether there is punishment involved or not, if I don't tell them, isn't part of my thinking. I don't feel that I should be entitled to pension increases, just because I'm a Brit who has paid into the system for a few years, especially when I live overseas and have done so for most of my life. I accept those are the rules and I chose to play by them.  I hope that's OK with everyone and that silly people are not going to try and convince I should do otherwise. 

20 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

You still don't get it, do you. The rules say I must inform DWP when I move to live overseas, the question of whether there is punishment involved or not, if I don't tell them, isn't part of my thinking. I don't feel that I should be entitled to pension increases, just because I'm a Brit who has paid into the system for a few years, especially when I live overseas and have done so for most of my life. I accept those are the rules and I chose to play by them.  I hope that's OK with everyone and that silly people are not going to try and convince I should do otherwise. 

The rules also state I should have waited 2 years back in the UK for access to NHS,but on arrival gave £1500 tax free,plus £100 odd tax free every week, plus £3000 private taxi use every day for 5 weeks of treatment, had quick TURPS opp,could not believe how I was treated,virt every day even now I'm asked how I'm doing  Play by the rules, die by the rules

2 minutes ago, jori123 said:

The rules also state I should have waited 2 years back in the UK for access to NHS,but on arrival gave £1500 tax free,plus £100 odd tax free every week, plus £3000 private taxi use every day for 5 weeks of treatment, had quick TURPS opp,could not believe how I was treated,virt every day even now I'm asked how I'm doing  Play by the rules, die by the rules

No, the NHS operates a residency based system, if you are considered to be a resident then you are entitled to free NHS care and you can be that from Day 1, if that is your intention.