METV effectively rescinded at Don Mueang

13 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

so maybe just rogue IOs at Don Muang.

I entered at Phuket a month ago on a TR60 evisa and the IO gave me a hard time for fifteen minutes before reluctantly stamping me in.

I would regard myself as the perfect tourist - not short of a bob or two, no relationship in Thailand, not working as I no longer need to.

I do spend a lot of time in Thailand - last year about seven months over three trips and I don't think that the IO liked this. However, I was always on evisas and extensions, no visa-exempt entries or border bounces and so I think that I'm within the rules?

The IO did bang away on her keyboard for a long time before approving me and so I think that I may have problems in the future.

Some will suggest a non-O but, for medical reasons, I can not consider Thailand full-time and need to pop home at least every three months.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You do not need to live in Thailand to use non O based on retirement along with multiple reentry permit. 

Best option moving forward. 

I think that you may be right - hopefully it will reduce my stress levels.

2 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

I entered at Phuket a month ago on a TR60 evisa and the IO gave me a hard time for fifteen minutes before reluctantly stamping me in.

I would regard myself as the perfect tourist - not short of a bob or two, no relationship in Thailand, not working as I no longer need to.

I do spend a lot of time in Thailand - last year about seven months over three trips and I don't think that the IO liked this. However, I was always on evisas and extensions, no visa-exempt entries or border bounces and so I think that I'm within the rules?

The IO did bang away on her keyboard for a long time before approving me and so I think that I may have problems in the future.

Some will suggest a non-O but, for medical reasons, I can not consider Thailand full-time and need to pop home at least every three months.

That confirms my suspicion that they are getting stricter by the hour. - Personally, I had never a problem entering Thailand until late 2019, when, suddenly, they 'made a face' when I entered with my METV. Then, after it had expired, I entered with a VFE, and was quizzed at Don Muang. I didn't think much of it at the time, but got the same treatment months later at Suvarnabhumi... Seems, they are now targeting visitors with valid visas too. So far for: "We want tourists to stay longer, and come back", and: "You'll be fine as long as you have a visa"...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

OA will require medical insurance, O is better

Most people have an Insurance. It doesn't have to Thai for the visa, only for extensions. OP can get a new visa every 1 to 2 years.

3 hours ago, Woof999 said:

You've really got to admire the logic. You have the TAT spending many millions trying to attract tourists to Thailand. Then you have the RTP making it really difficult for a tourist who paid for a valid VISA and has been travelling within the terms of its issue.

It does seem contradictory. The main goal for TAT is $$

They want to attract tourists to visit the country, but if you want to stay longer immigration is going to make it difficult. They want to funnel many of these people to the Elite Visa

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Perhaps, every tourist who was declined should write a protest letter to the TAT.

People are so gullible. As if writing a protest letter would debar an IO from doing his job and denying entry. IOs in every country have full authority to deny entry even with a visa. Go fight the denial in a court. I want to see how it works, not to mention the expenses. And for what? To enter Thailand?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Orient Express said:

As a datapoint, my travel history is as follows:

On this visa: Entered start November 4 weeks Thailand, 2 weeks Japan, 6 weeks Thailand, 4 days Laos

Previously in 2023: 2 trips to Thailand, total 11 weeks (first 45-day visa-exempt; second SETV)

2022: 3 trips to Thailand, total 22 weeks (first SETV, carried over from 2021; second SETV + extension, third 45-day visa exempt)

2021: 2 trips to Thailand, total 17 weeks (first 45-day visa exempt (inc 14 days quarantine) + extension; second SETV).

This is only 60 weeks in 3 years. I have done more than that in the last 2 years and that's only using visa exempt entries (last trip was SETV as was thinking my time might come).

I was about to apply for a SETV again but its rules clearly state "for tourism purposes only" so your case means they can just say I'm obviously not a tourist so SETV invalid. I might as well just go again on visa exempt and save the hassle and cost of SETV 

My only hope is that you made a mistake of selecting a female IO which many people on here say to never do 😉

Oh yeah, my mind is blown that they are allowed to write  "Next time need apply non-immigrant visa" in your passport. What if next time is in a years time? If they wanted to stop you using METV surely they should have cancelled it?

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

...they 'made a face' when I entered with my METV. Then, after it had expired, I entered with a VFE, and was quizzed at Don Muang. I didn't think much of it at the time, but got the same treatment months later at Suvarnabhumi... Seems, they are now targeting visitors with valid visas too...

What "valid visa" do you mean with VFE?

This is a bit concerning. I’m on an METV with a week in Singapore in March and flying to/from Don Mueang.  Had METV last year and probably been in Thailand longer than OP over the two years.

What are my options?

I’m under 50, not married so O visa not available and work back in the U.K. or elsewhere for about 4 months a year so ED visa not an option either. Thought METV was a good fit. Could get an Elite but are there any guarantees an IO wouldn’t have a problem with that given METV should be valid??

Will report back if I run into issues after Singapore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chalky0w said:

This is a bit concerning. I’m on an METV with a week in Singapore in March and flying to/from Don Mueang.  Had METV last year and probably been in Thailand longer than OP over the two years.

What are my options?

I’m under 50, not married so O visa not available and work back in the U.K. or elsewhere for about 4 months a year so ED visa not an option either. Thought METV was a good fit. Could get an Elite but are there any guarantees an IO wouldn’t have a problem with that given METV should be valid??

Will report back if I run into issues after Singapore.

Yes, please report back how you go how things go after you arrive back to Thailand. Probably best to avoid female IO when entering and only go to a line with a male IO.

• Haha 1

What I think is happening here is that the IO wants the OP to switch to a Non-O based on his/her age. It´s a bit of a weird way to do it but, thats probably the case. 

Just as an example how rules differ from officer to officer....I just extended my visa exempt with 30 days in Lak Si and the guy sitting next to me was getting grilled and scolded because he didnt have a TM30. "You stay in Thailand long time already!" etc etc.

The IO that was handling my passport however, didnt even want to look at my TM30 when I presented it. I dont know what to make of this really.

Edited by raz0r21

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

What "valid visa" do you mean with VFE?

First I mentioned a 'Visa Free Entry'. Then I mentioned "valid visas" like SETV and METV recently being scrutinised (see reports here in this forum), so I mentioned two different things, one after another.

39 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

First I mentioned a 'Visa Free Entry'. 

I was wondering what VFE was as not mentioned by immigration or Thai consulates.  Why not just say visa exempt instead of making up your own acronym?

Edited by Pattaya57

As a part follow-up, I have received quotations from Thai Visa Centre in Bangkok and Maneerat in Pattaya for a non-O 3 month visa + 12 month retirement extension where I provide the funds; and opening a bank account.

I am staying in Bangkok, but the TVC price is more than double the Maneerat price, so the differential is far too much to ignore, and consequently I would like to try Maneerat. I don't mind going out to Pattaya since I have never been, and it's a good opportunity to check it out.

My questions, for those who have experience of this, are:

1. Am I right in thinking Maneerat uses Jomtien IO and not some strange up-country place?

2. Is it a problem if I have a Bangkok address (serviced apartment)? I'm not worried about the bank account being in Pattaya because I intend to deposit the funds and not touch them all year. However, I am concerned if there are any immigration implications, because I don't want further problems down the line.

Thanks for any input.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Orient Express said:

I have an METV, valid for use until mid-April. I am 60+, European, but still with some work back home. I obtained the METV (eVisa) easily from my local embassy back in October.

I had a very unpleasant experience at Don Mueang recently, after returning from a few days in Laos. After a long time scrutinising my passport, the IO summoned a supervisor and I was taken aside and questioned. Actually, not questioned, but lectured to and told that I could not possibly be a tourist (too much time in Thailand …). I was eventually stamped in for 60 days, but told I couldn’t use my METV again to enter. It is valid until mid-April, and I had planned to go home to Europe for 3 weeks before then (for work reasons), and a further spell in Thailand with side-trips to Malaysia and Japan before returning to Europe at the end of May. That’s now all up in the air.

Instead, I now have a note in my passport saying my next entry must be on a non-immigrant visa. The IO also said I was not allowed to enter visa-exempt.

On this visa: Entered start November, 4 weeks Thailand, 2 weeks Japan, 6 weeks Thailand, 4 days Laos

Previously in 2023: 2 trips to Thailand, total 11 weeks (first 45-day visa-exempt; second SETV)

2022: 3 trips to Thailand, total 22 weeks (first SETV, carried over from 2021; second SETV + extension, third 45-day visa exempt)

2021: 2 trips to Thailand, total 17 weeks (first 45-day visa exempt (inc 14 days quarantine) + extension; second SETV).

All visas issued by my home embassy.

I am a genuine tourist, in the sense that I just like spending time in Thailand. I don’t have a relationship here, and I’m certainly not doing business or working here. I know that the retirement option is open to me (and may be the only solution now), but I am loathe to do this when I still intend to carry out some work (accounting) back home for a few years. So frustrating.

I’m interested in any positive ideas or feedback.

Having a retirement visa doesn't stop you from working in your home country.

If you don't want to chance using your METV again at another entry point with a male officer there may be a few options for you other than moving to a retirement extension.

You could get a reentry permit when you leave, which would allow you to enter again but you could only stay until the date of your current entry stamp, which I believe is the 2nd of April 2024.

You could get a single-entry non-Immigrant O visa based on retirement from the embassy in your home country, which will give one entry valid for 90 days. If you wanted to leave and return during that period you'd need a reentry permit to keep the entry stamp alive. That visa costs twice as much as an SETV.

Or, depending on your nationality you may be able to get a multiple-entry Non-Immigrant O visa based on retirement from the embassy in your home country. It is valid for a year and you will get stamped in for 90 days each time you enter. Some people get around 15 months (or 17 months with Thai family) out of them by entering again just before they expire. They cost the same as the METV you have now.

They were withdrawn from embassies some years ago as each embassy switched over to the  e-visa system but they seem to be back now.

I have heard that some embassies require insurance to get this visa now. However unlike the Non-Immigrant OA/OX visas, you can present insurance from any company in the world. I have heard about quite a few people using their standard travel insurance including insurance bundled with bank accounts, etc.

Post can be deleted. Double post because the text entry window didn't disappear after posting the first time.

Edited by thinktoomuch
Double post because the text entry window didn't disappear after posting the first time.

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2024 at 10:47 AM, bbi1 said:

Yes, please report back how you go how things go after you arrive back to Thailand. Probably best to avoid female IO when entering and only go to a line with a male IO.

To give an update as requested…

I came back through Don Mueang on my METV. Straight through with no questions and stamped in for another 60 days.

Extra info:

- METV is valid until end of March so stamp will go beyond that.

- Originally entered at start of October 2023 and been in/out a few times since then.

- Came from Singapore this time and been there for five nights.

- Second METV in two years. I’d been in UK (home country) for about four months when I applied for it.

Can’t comment on what I did / didn’t do vs anyone that has had problems with entry on an METV but hope useful.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chalky0w said:

To give an update as requested…

I came back through Don Mueang on my METV. Straight through with no questions and stamped in for another 60 days.

Extra info:

- METV is valid until end of March so stamp will go beyond that.

- Originally entered at start of October 2023 and been in/out a few times since then.

- Came from Singapore this time and been there for five nights.

- Second METV in two years. I’d been in UK (home country) for about four months when I applied for it.

Can’t comment on what I did / didn’t do vs anyone that has had problems with entry on an METV but hope useful.

Great news. Did you go to a booth staffed by a male or female IO?

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Great news. Did you go to a booth staffed by a male or female IO?

Male immigration officer if that makes a difference.

Other potential influencing factors if true that they can impact:

- I have no tattoos or piercings

- Short hair and clean shaven

- Dressed relatively smart in clean / ironed white polo shirt and plain dark shorts (bit hot for me to travel in trousers) 

- Handed over boarding pass, visa and passport without being prompted

- Didn’t use phone, have headphones in, have sunglasses on or anything that might give a negative reaction

- Said sawadee krap but no wai (hands full) and no attempt at conversation 

None of above was deliberate to get through, just how I normally am / behave

• Love It 1

7 minutes ago, Chalky0w said:

Male immigration officer if that makes a difference.

Other potential influencing factors if true that they can impact:

- I have no tattoos or piercings

- Short hair and clean shaven

- Dressed relatively smart in clean / ironed white polo shirt and plain dark shorts (bit hot for me to travel in trousers) 

- Handed over boarding pass, visa and passport without being prompted

- Didn’t use phone, have headphones in, have sunglasses on or anything that might give a negative reaction

- Said sawadee krap but no wai (hands full) and no attempt at conversation 

None of above was deliberate to get through, just how I normally am / behave

Absolute rubbish. 

Questions from immigration officer on arrival to Thailand depends #1 on your history. ...

You state...

"I have no tattoos or piercings

- Short hair and clean shaven"

Is that a joke. Look like working in Thailand 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Absolute rubbish. 

Questions from immigration officer on arrival to Thailand depends #1 on your history. ...

You state...

"I have no tattoos or piercings

- Short hair and clean shaven"

Is that a joke. Look like working in Thailand 

I have no idea what influences an IO but there are rumours they don’t like backpackers, bikers, etc. so just giving info on my own appearance.

I definitely don’t work in Thailand except maybe to answer the odd email. I have a business in the U.K., property, savings and investments.  I work a few months a year in the U.K. to keep my brain active and even this pays more than enough for me to take it easy for the rest of the year without my other income streams.

On 2/4/2024 at 12:27 PM, Orient Express said:

I have an METV, valid for use until mid-April. I am 60+, European, but still with some work back home. I obtained the METV (eVisa) easily from my local embassy back in October.

I had a very unpleasant experience at Don Mueang recently, after returning from a few days in Laos. After a long time scrutinising my passport, the IO summoned a supervisor and I was taken aside and questioned. Actually, not questioned, but lectured to and told that I could not possibly be a tourist (too much time in Thailand …). I was eventually stamped in for 60 days, but told I couldn’t use my METV again to enter. It is valid until mid-April, and I had planned to go home to Europe for 3 weeks before then (for work reasons), and a further spell in Thailand with side-trips to Malaysia and Japan before returning to Europe at the end of May. That’s now all up in the air.

Instead, I now have a note in my passport saying my next entry must be on a non-immigrant visa. The IO also said I was not allowed to enter visa-exempt.

On this visa: Entered start November, 4 weeks Thailand, 2 weeks Japan, 6 weeks Thailand, 4 days Laos

All visas issued by my home embassy.

I am a genuine tourist, in the sense that I just like spending time in Thailand. I don’t have a relationship here, and I’m certainly not doing business or working here. I know that the retirement option is open to me (and may be the only solution now), but I am loathe to do this when I still intend to carry out some work (accounting) back home for a few years. So frustrating.

I’m interested in any positive ideas or feedback

I feel sorry for you, but if you want my full sympathy please stop using acronyms such as METV

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, vangrop said:

I feel sorry for you, but if you want my full sympathy please stop using acronyms such as METV

METV is a widely used acronym for the multiple- entry tourist visa and acceptable on this forum. Also Thai embassies and consulates use it and for all I know they may have started it.

https://thaiconsulatela.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/tourist-visa-metv-multiple-entries

http://www.thaiembassy.it/index.php/news/52-visa/type/78-tourist-visas

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1