Move to get rid of the afternoon alcohol ban, Songkran enshrined - Tim Newton Today - Feb 5

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand news - A proposal to the Thai cabinet from the Public Health Minister to get rid of the long-running afternoon alcohol ban between 2-5pm. Songkran has been officially recognised by UNESCO, twin falls from Pattaya hotels on Sunday morning, editorial from Khaosod English about last week's rebuke of Move Forward Party from the Constitutional Court.

And Thai PBS World ask important questions about the Land Bridge project because we know so little about this major project so far.

Tim Newton Today is a daily take on Thai and regional news and issues of interest to expats and foreign tourists.

what was the original meaning of this ban? not buying alcohol outside already not drinking hours... I don't see the point.

is it actually prohibited 2-5pm at the bar?!

never understood why during shopping at Big C in the afternoon I could not buy some beers to drink during the next days.

that's not the 7/11 that you usually buy small quantity and possibly drink immediately

34 minutes ago, Ste78 said:

what was the original meaning of this ban? not buying alcohol outside already not drinking hours... I don't see the point.

is it actually prohibited 2-5pm at the bar?!

never understood why during shopping at Big C in the afternoon I could not buy some beers to drink during the next days.

that's not the 7/11 that you usually buy small quantity and possibly drink immediately

It was one of those 'knee-jerk' laws that were put in place overnight by the Military Junta in 1972....  no one in a decision making capacity or connected to those involved in such laws questioned the ridiculousness of it - why ?... Kraeng-Jai... 'don't question those more senior' !!!   - the laws have been more strictly enforced in the last 15 years or so....

Also about 10-15 years ago a law was put in place that it was illegal to sell alcohol within 500m of a School.... with so many schools around this was virtually a physical impossibility in any built up area...  so this law was pretty much ignored !!

The idea behind all of this is to prevent school kids from drinking....  And as with much of Thailand there is a 'blanket' legislation kneecapping the whole of society rather than dealing with the actual issues at hand - penalising those who sell alcohol to minors.

• Haha 1

Yep it was supposedly about schools, but was just some crusty old pr!cks trying to be of some relevance to the universe. I am so embarrassed for Thailand when I have explain this sht to tourists that are caught unawares. Stop this nonsense already, alcohol is a part of life and kids will still get hold of it if a bleddy 7-11 won’t sell it for a few hours. 

4 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Yep it was supposedly about schools, but was just some crusty old pr!cks trying to be of some relevance to the universe. I am so embarrassed for Thailand when I have explain this sht to tourists that are caught unawares. Stop this nonsense already, alcohol is a part of life and kids will still get hold of it if a bleddy 7-11 won’t sell it for a few hours. 

Absolutely agree...    2022 was full of articles and announcements that this regulation would be retracted...   

I think this is just regurgitation of the same - but definitely agree the rule is just dumb...

... its a dumb as the 11pm licensing rules we used to have in the UK.

Stop this nonsense...    indeed, nonsense it is.

-------

I'm waiting for the "if you can't go without a drink between 2-5pm you have a problem" type comments !!!  - these puritanical comments always appear on a booze thread !!! 

Or.. 'we're just guests here, their rules... if we don't like it go home !!!...'

• Agree 1

Hey you , stop smoking that chill out weed !!  Come and neck this beer and help out the starving millionaires that make it

Safe drive home afterwards.

Alcohol should be for medicinal purposes only so as to avoid any blatent hypocracy .

Edited by Denim
  • Agree 1

All these years I thought the buying of alcohol was to keep the Government workers from drinking when they were at lunch.  This really made the law stupid when you can purchase from 11:00 AM until 2:00 PM, which to me was the lunchtime period for Government employees.   I was never corrected on this belief.  Still a stupid law and should be repealed.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It was one of those 'knee-jerk' laws that were put in place overnight by the Military Junta in 1972....  no one in a decision making capacity or connected to those involved in such laws questioned the ridiculousness of it - why ?... Kraeng-Jai... 'don't question those more senior' !!!   - the laws have been more strictly enforced in the last 15 years or so....

Also about 10-15 years ago a law was put in place that it was illegal to sell alcohol within 500m of a School.... with so many schools around this was virtually a physical impossibility in any built up area...  so this law was pretty much ignored !!

The idea behind all of this is to prevent school kids from drinking....  And as with much of Thailand there is a 'blanket' legislation kneecapping the whole of society rather than dealing with the actual issues at hand - penalising those who sell alcohol to minors.

I arrived in LOS just a couple of years ago and I thought a Covid-19 Law for some reason.

thanks for the explanation

• Thumbs Up 1