Changes at my local barber.

SmokeandIce

Back here in Germany, my wife does the haircut with an electric clipper; it is easy to do, but would be near unaffordable to somebody a parsimonious as me. 😆

If I am in Isaan, I utilize the endless time my wife spends on the market in the next-bigger village to get a haircut at a barber (he does essentially nothing different to what my wife would do at home, but I have half an hour of 'different' small talk and can catch up on the latest stories going around).

A few years ago, that was THB 40, now it is THB 100. No double pricing, just the way prices exploded over the past few years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BenStark said:

In my area most barbers have dual pricing. I have found one that charges me 70 baht, so I doubt she has dual pricing.

Id love to get a woman barber up here, in Sakon.

You know the kind !

Nails, Shower, massage, shave, shampoo , hair cut.

The total package

I think the young lady in my house 

would enjoy similar.

Edited by riclag

My barber in Amphawa charged 40 baht a cut, if you tried to pay with a 100 note there was drama as he only accepted 40 baht and he would not give change of 100. So he would suggest settle up next visit.

2 hours ago, SmokeandIce said:

I have lived in Thonburi across the river from Bangkok for over 10 years and during that time I have been going to the same small local barbershop.  When I first went there, haicuts were THB 100 and I always tipped 40 baht.  A few years back, the cost of a went up to 120 baht; understandable and no big deal.  Today I went in fot a haircut and a sign read "haircuts 200 baht." A big jump I thought but it is what it is.  My Thai friend was with me and he told me the price for Thai is still 120 baht; only the cost for non Thai is 200.

I think I will change barbers, wondering if I should tell them why.

Where I used to live in Chiang Mai it was 70 baht if I remember correctly at the corner guy shop in a residential neighborhood. He also did not accept tips because of some face loss thing. He dusted me off with white powder and I often re-cut it myself when I got home.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, SmokeandIce said:

I have lived in Thonburi across the river from Bangkok for over 10 years and during that time I have been going to the same small local barbershop.  When I first went there, haicuts were THB 100 and I always tipped 40 baht.  A few years back, the cost of a went up to 120 baht; understandable and no big deal.  Today I went in fot a haircut and a sign read "haircuts 200 baht." A big jump I thought but it is what it is.  My Thai friend was with me and he told me the price for Thai is still 120 baht; only the cost for non Thai is 200.

I think I will change barbers, wondering if I should tell them why.

Well, 5 pounds for a haircut is really too expensive. Bald head might be your solution then. You can do it by yourself.☺️

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Before I bought clippers because of covid so the wife could do the whole family the local shop was 70baht but he always asked us what they charged last time, I didnt mind paying a bit more than the locals who couldnt afford much more than what he charged them as its not a wealthy town.

• Agree 1

What possible out come is the OP expecting? A deep bow and wai and immediate lowering of the price? Not likely.  There's 100's of barbers in everyone neighborhood, find one that suits your liking, no need to kick up some drama dust on the way out the door.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, riclag said:

Speak your mind but be polite .

200 bht in Thailand is steep for a

Regular / basic cut! Imop

Up here in Sakon ,it was 60 bht  for many years ! It went up to 80, 1 year ago. 

Shave

Hair cut

ear wax removal 

mini shoulder/arm rub 

+ tip

120bht

Years back, least 10 yrs I went into a barber shop in Sakon. Think it was the gold street, old short hunchback looking barber guy cut my hair. I cant read the sign but I see 60 baht on top of charges. He charged me 100 baht. He'd rather screw me once than have me come back again. 

Now, I pay 80 thb in a nice AC shop. Thais pay the same, well except they don't tip.

• Agree 1

I'd tell them why they are losing you as a customer. You can find a non discriminatory priced barber for sure.  I recently found a great, barber shop near Bearing station, Bangkok. 150 baht for a haircut and shave. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

At least two barbershop in CNX that I know of charge 200 Baht. I will not complain about CNX prices because last week I paid $35 for a haircut at a barbershop in Southern California  

In Sydney Australia 4 years back all the barber / hairdresser shops in 2 malls that I sometimes visited were same price AU$43-for electric clipper buzzcut, same length all over, all done in less than 5 minutes.  Luckily I found a retired hairdresser living close by, she did same cut, with electric clippers, for AUS10-.

• Like 1

I have been paying my local barber 200baht for haircut and beard cut trim for over 20 years. It seams to fit the list of charges that are posted on the wall. No body in the village charges me extra for being a Falung..