Hiccups.

The last time I had the hiccups was when I was about 10 years old. I am in Pattaya and was doing a lot of walking and drinking lts of water, low fat milk and "no sugar" drinks.

After I went to bed I got the hiccups which seemed to last a long time. I really thought that getting the hiccups was a childrens thing.

Anyone else who is a non or social drinker ever get the hiccups?

Hiccups sometimes are caused by eating or drinking too much, or too fast.

If they last for more than 48 hours, time to see a doctor.

They can usually be fixed by drinking water from the other side of a glass, so that the glass rim where you would normally drink from is under the chin.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Anyone else who is a non or social drinker ever get the hiccups?

Thats the difficult part..  'non social drinker'....  I am a social drinker and sometimes get the hiccups if I've been a little 'more social than I should' !!!...

On occasion I have had hiccups when not drinking - over the years I've found holding my breath for as long as physically possible does the trick. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Hiccups sometimes are caused by eating or drinking too much, or too fast.

If they last for more than 48 hours, time to see a doctor.

They can usually be fixed by drinking water from the other side of a glass, so that the glass rim where you would normally drink from is under the chin.

I think that's an old wives tale, same as putting a cold key down your back.

Holding breath usually works for me, and I am a social drinker.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Try drinking water steadily and continuously. By the seventh swallow your hiccups should have ceased.

I think this was only a one off, I did drink an awful lot, but I will keep what you said in mind.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Hiccups can be stopped if you drink a tablespoon of sweet raspberry cordial syrup ( the undiluted one )  

Another old wives tale I suspect. Why Raspberry as opposed to Strawberry, Blackberry, Halleberry, Chuckberry etc. 

Edited by KannikaP
  • Agree 1

Hiccups can happen to anyone. In some cases they are caused by alcohol, or eating too quickly; in other cases they are due to a medical condition (something that irritates the diapraghm) and in others, there is no identifiable cause.

In rare cases they can go on for days or even weeks/months and elude all home remedies.

Since most hiccups spontaneously resolve it is difficult to evaluate the efficacy of thew many home remedies advocated.  People try XYZ until the hiccups stop -- but maybe they would have stopped then anyhow.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I think that's an old wives tale, same as putting a cold key down your back.

Holding breath usually works for me, and I am a social drinker.

Not a wives tale. This is what I do when I get the hiccups. It works but I get funny looks when I drink from the opposite side of the glass.

27 minutes ago, Luuk Chaai said:

just a view from the other side     hope the info is useful

we have to assume you are not a cow's calf .???   or an infant .....so why are you drinking milk ?  

infants drink their mothers milk to quikly gain weight and grow. that milk would be  "Species specific"

Skim/1%/2% milk are loaded with Lactose ( sugar ) milk protein (which in over 50% of the worlds population is highly inflamitory especially the  (whey and casein) and carbs

Drinking low fat milk is one of the quikest ways to gain weight

you might considor eliminating the  L/F milk,, as it may be the leading cause of the inflamation

if you desire an additive for coffee, go for heavy whipping cream as the sugar and proteins and reduce your undected inflamation

I can offer tons of research info if you need ,   but for a basic start  take a peak at this vid  it may help

Way off topic

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Hiccups can happen to anyone. In some cases they are caused by alcohol, or eating too quickly; in other cases they are due to a medical condition (something that irritates the diapraghm) and in others, there is no identifiable cause.

In rare cases they can go on for days or even weeks/months and elude all home remedies.

Since most hiccups spontaneously resolve it is difficult to evaluate the efficacy of thew many home remedies advocated.  People try XYZ until the hiccups stop -- but maybe they would have stopped then anyhow.

Short Hiccup

Almost every hiccup disappears with or without treatment. Many home remedies have been used to treat short hiccups. Most do not work or are only mildly effective. However, since these remedies are usually safe and easy to apply, it doesn't hurt to try them. Many methods are ways to raise the carbon dioxide level in the blood, such as:

Holding your breath

Breathing deeply into a paper bag (not a plastic bag)

Other methods aim to stimulate the vagus nerve, which runs from the brain to the stomach. This nerve can be stimulated in the following ways:

Drinking water quickly

Swallowing dry bread, granulated sugar, or crushed ice

Gently pulling on the tongue

Inducing gagging (such as sticking a finger down the throat)

Gently rubbing the eyeballs

Some sound funny but in the time you try them in most cases the hiccup is gone. By itself.