Tragic scooter crash in Thailand leaves Queensland dad in coma

snoop1130

5 hours ago, Lopburikid said:

Agree. I would imagine that a lot of tourists who hire/rent scooters/motorbikes have never ridden one in their own country.

Absolutely that's the majority of the problem! 

No experience.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

He did have insurance but invalidated it by stupid actions.

It might??? have been different if only he had read the details on the policy. Did you Frits miss the details on the news source that stated:- the family has been dealt a cruel blow, discovering that the policy does not cover the exorbitant medical expenses resulting from motorcycle injuries of this nature. ?            But regardless- what irresponsible person/daddy would ride without a helmet anywhere in the world?  and it probably wasnt traffic that caused it!   It's more than "a cruel blow" as above, that probably neither money nor surgery can fix this "deadly blow".

Yes- so stupid and sad and may this news reach out to the world.

4 hours ago, chrissables said:

Best way to travel Thailand is a motorbike, try it one day.

It is great I know

But tourists have no experience in there own country majority of the time , and certainly not in Thailand.

4 hours ago, chrissables said:

Best way to travel Thailand is a motorbike, try it one day.

If he had rented a car instead, he would still be able to look after his family.

Was it worth feeling the dusty air in your face ?

7 hours ago, Ken444 said:

I went on and on to my wife about wearing a helmet - till the point where I threatened to remove all the keys.

2 weeks after she complied she had an accident helmet smashed and cracked on one side, would have taken half her face off and cracked her skull.  Now she never goes ot without one ( probably because I would remove the keys - but that is the attitude here)

Ken the knight in shining armor.

Saving the Thais from themselves, through threats. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, uttradit said:

The storyline says "dad" to get sympathy but got nothing to do with not wearing a helmet and lacking riding skills. Use rideshare, hire a car. Really not hard to make smart decisions.

Never ride motosai in Thailand.

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think I remember Thailand wanted to make sure every tourist has a health insurance.

What happened to that project?

I think everybody who thinks for a minute should make sure they have a valid health insurance before they travel.

And if for whatever reason they don't have an insurance then maybe it's a good idea to be careful.

"catastrophic collision with a concrete barrier" sounds to me like nobody else was involved.

Sad

I read the fundraiser link posted on The Thaiger. It says that he had valid travel insurance. However, it seems that his partner was wearing a helmet, and walked away unscathed, and seems to indicate that this guy was NOT wearing a helmet. The fundraiser states that the insurance is not paying. I would guess that it won't pay because either he didn't have a legal driving license, OR the fact that he wasn't wearing a helmet. 
So many people think they're covered no matter what. They should read the fine print. 
This is really sad.

You people just - don't - learn, do you ?

1) It was reported in the Daily Mail (UK). NOT in local Thai news media.

2) NO date or even time period mentioned, not in the Mail story or on the GoFundMe page.

3) NO location other than "Thailand".

4) GoFundMe set up BEFORE the news story was published.

5) GoFundMe set up by "non-family" members. GoFundMe set up on 8 Feb. Story appears in the mail on 9 Feb.

This is the 3rd story in what, a week, about someone that has had a motorcycle (scooter) accident and their insurance has (allegedly) refused to cover them.

Note that Brenton's Facebook profile is "locked" as is one of the people organizing the GoFundMe. Her partner (the other organizer) has a few posts going back almost 2 years. Not one photo or mention of Brenton.

Surely some of you know people in Queensland. (Note they don't say more than just "Queensland".)

Maybe give him a call and best wishes on a speedy recovery.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, daveAustin said:

As usual topics like this are filled with unempathetic rubbishy comments (likely mostly from the boomer crowd) from folk who think they have never put a foot wrong and live perfect lives. Good chance family is reading this!

Yes, I find it quite  challenging to be living amongst such perfect human beings, knowing that I will never measure up. 

20 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Apparently he had insurance, totally adequate insurance.  He simply chose to ignore the contract.

It won't matter. So many will find his GOFUNDME page and send money simply because they will not have said the real reasons why his insurance failed and of course why he chose to drive recklessly without a helmet risking his wife as well. 

3 hours ago, stix40 said:

If he had rented a car instead, he would still be able to look after his family.

Was it worth feeling the dusty air in your face ?

Having ridden all around Thailand 100,000+++km  i would say yes. 
Have you ridden here, do you have any experience of riding anywhere?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hope the young man  gets the care he needs, helmet laws  in Thailand in general are not  strict enough ,  the helmets that bike rentals provide are usually just hard plastic cheap ones ,they are better than nothing but not near good enough 

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

A motosai can be a scooter.

There is actually no engine-displacement restrictions on the motosai classification.

A motosai must have two wheels, however.

Rot motosai

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

A 28yo with a 9yo kid indicates he's often made bad decisions in his life.

Happens.

I had twin boys before my 21st birthday.

For many years was a struggle, me and my boys have done ok though.

Edited by Ralf001