Snack bars to night guards: Will reforms ease burden on Thailand’s teachers?

webfact

12 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Pension????? As for 30k p/m that would be someone who has been teaching for many years. Upper admin >60k. Govt. sector.

My cycling pal is a retired Thai teacher, he gets 50kbht/month pension.

After 30 years teaching English, he can't speak a word!

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

No. I've worked both white collar and blue collar jobs and NOTHING has been as exhausting as being a teacher. But you wouldn't know that because obviously you've never been one.

You're probably not suited to teaching if you find it this hard.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My cycling pal is a retired Thai teacher, he gets 50kbht/month pension.

After 30 years teaching English, he can't speak a word!

thanks bud for confirming what i have been saying all along

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You're probably not suited to teaching if you find it this hard.

i dont know happy expat or his skills or temperament. but i can vouch for the level of difficulty of the job. what you need to consider here is the difference a 'real' certified teacher (university trained and licensed in home country) vs a backpacking teacher bring to the job. backpackers are laid back, invest minimal effort in lesson prep, could care less about classroom management and really are only in it for the perks of living in thailand. whereas you get what you pay for with a career teacher. i was a trainman/railway conductor, bouncer and even emptied containers manually, but i have to say that teaching is by far the most stressful and demanding job i have ever done. the kids get to you, the admin, the incompetent teachers who lack all the skills and the ridiculous amount of paperwork imposed by thai admin. i taught in canada before coming here, and thailand really treats its teachers like crap. 

i respect you britmantoo and i dont know your career path but if you have/had taught in thailand you will agree with happy expat

25 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

what you need to consider here is the difference a 'real' certified teacher (university trained and licensed in home country) vs a backpacking teacher bring to the job.

I'm a real certified teacher retired from teaching high school in the UK.

Never taught in any Thai schools .................. but most of the foreign teachers I've encountered in Thailand wouldn't be allowed anywhere near kids in the UK.

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm a real certified teacher retired from teaching high school in the UK.

Never taught in any Thai schools .................. but most of the foreign teachers I've encountered in Thailand wouldn't be allowed anywhere near kids in the UK.

cool... then you know that back home we have intervention plans for kids with problems. here, we dont have any recourse and thai admin blame foreign teachers at the drop of a coin. here, i have taught primary 1 to 6, with extra classes in other parts of the school. that was at 1 school. same situation nearly all the schools i worked. each level required detailed lesson plans with thai curriculum outcomes, plus all kinds of other ridiculous duties. back home, i taught 1 level... thats it.

and i agree 'the foreign teachers I've encountered in Thailand wouldn't be allowed anywhere near kids in the UK.' or canada for what its worth. imagine having one of these clowns as your head of department...

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Agree 1

On 2/9/2024 at 7:12 PM, retarius said:

I'm not sure anyone could accuse Thai teachers of needing to have their burdens eased. Know nothings in charge of 'teaching kids' by enforcing outdated deference; obedience and total lack of any critical thinking skills; and we wonder why the education system is a farce?

....and it's quite apparent that these things aren't recognized within the educational systems. 

The cycles just dig themselves deeper with every passing generation. 

4 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

....and it's quite apparent that these things aren't recognized within the educational systems. 

The cycles just dig themselves deeper with every passing generation. 

Could do with English teachers being able to speak English 

• Like 1