Disability pension & Super

I know it's now much much harder to claim the Disability pension a lot of hoops to go through .....not to mention if you want overseas portability it's another process to prove that's very permanent

The question I'm thinking is when you turn 60 and you leave your job is it possible NOT to access your SUPER and then claim DSP or other Centrelink benefits and leave to go for ASIA ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I know it's now much much harder to claim the Disability pension a lot of hoops to go through .....not to mention if you want overseas portability it's another process to prove that's very permanent

The question I'm thinking is when you turn 60 and you leave your job is it possible NOT to access your SUPER and then claim DSP or other Centrelink benefits and leave to go for ASIA ?

• DSP is portable for a total of up to 4 weeks in a 12-month period. DSP can be paid for a longer period in the case of approved overseas study that is part of a full-time course in Australia.

https://guides.dss.gov.au/social-security-guide/7/1/2/20#:~:text=DSP is portable for a,full-time course in Australia.

If you want out at 60, maybe just take your Super, invest it into the ASX as I do and make a tax free living here.

Edited by 4MyEgo

On the issue of NOT accessing super the topic below is different but it seems if you keep your super in accumulation phase it won't be treated as an asset or income for the Disability Support Pension till 67. 

https://www.superguide.com.au/in-retirement/qas-super-affect-disability-support-pension#:~:text=For Centrelink benefits including the,until you reach age 67.

• Q: I’d like to know if the Centrelink Disability Support Pension (DSP) is affected by a super lump sum payment or income stream once the DSP recipient reaches preservation age?

A: Let’s take the first half of your question first. For the Disability Support Pension means test:

• Super lump sum withdrawals won’t be counted as income under the Centrelink Income test. Super in the accumulation phase (not a pension account) will remain a Centrelink exempt asset until you reach age 67, the Age Pension age.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

How have you  become disabled all of a sudden? lol

Edited by Olmate
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2024 at 6:44 AM, georgegeorgia said:

There's some government schemes to retrain older Aussies for other occupations.  

Sign up to some Mickey Mouse 12 month online course and claim the student allowance, or whatever it's called. 

It's probably only one short assignment a week to submit, which you can do online. 

• Haha 1