Passport expires next year before what should be a full one year extension

Dang.  I just noticed that my passport expires at the end of January 2025.  My current visa extension ends March 1 and I'm in the process of putting together a marriage extension package.  In my head I thought the passport didn't expire until late March 2025.  

I'm just curious.  Will Immigration require the passport to be valid up to the date of the next renewal (which should be March 1, 2025) - or - will they grant the extension up to the date of passport renewal?  They didn't say a word about this last year during renewal

Anyway, just wondering what sort of a hassle I'm going to face.  More stress.

Too late to get a new passport now, they will almost certainly just issue the visa up until the expiration date of your passport.

So do this first, then get a new passport some time this year, move the appropriate stamps over to your new passport and your new extension date will change in 2025.

I had this issue with a Thailand Elite visa, in hindsight I really wish I had renewed my passport at the time even though it still had about 2.5 years left on it because it was a real pain for me to do it the lazy way.

Unless of course you live in a country which still produces passports and issues them in the local embassy.....

Yeah, I just absolutely missed it.  An aging brain in non-action.  <laughs> 

Well, I'll just put the marriage extension package together and head to Immigration next week and see what shakes with my I/O.  Worst case is they issue a 2 month extension and I immediately turn around and mail out the US passport renewal.
But - hopefully they'll just allow the extension to the passport expiration at the end of Jan 2025. 

4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Unless of course you live in a country which still produces passports and issues them in the local embassy.....

No such luck.  US passport.  Mail and pray.  🙄

• Like 1

Just obtain the extension as you are doing next week and the expiry of that extension will be date of expiry of your current passport. 

You don't miss out on much time less than the full 12 months. 

When it's more eg 6 months the follow up question is ....when I obtain my new passport can I go to immigration and have the expiry date of extension changed? Answer:No

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I know I got a letter issued along with my new passport which is somehow required to get the current entry AND extension stamp moved over to the new passport.

I'm not sure if that letter is only regarded as being valid for a certain amount of time.

But I will say - probably best to do the transfer sooner than later once you get the new passport as you never know what's going to happen at immigration when you go.....

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I know I got a letter issued along with my new passport which is somehow required to get the current entry AND extension stamp moved over to the new passport.

That was some years ago.

The letter basically gave Thai immigration permission to enter information from old pp.

In recent years UK, USA,and AU have stopped providing that.

Note I'm not referring to the income letter for extension purposes that the same countries discontinued. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

My passport get produced in my home country, then by diplomatic post to the embassy. Exactly 2 weeks between the time I paid and the email that the passport had arrived at the embassy.

I don't think any embassies produce passports on site

44 minutes ago, BenStark said:

My passport get produced in my home country

What's with the secrecy "home country" 

My pp is Australian.

Currently my application is with AU embassy Bangkok.

I will report the details when (hopefully) receive the new pp.

My guess 4-6 weeks. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My pp is Australian.

My guess 4-6 weeks. 

There is no secrecy, and you are well aware of that, as you were the top scaremonger in the thread I started about this 1 month ago.

My country is Belgium, but I think there will be very few countries that produce passports in the embassy

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, BenStark said:

My country is Belgium, but I think there will be very few countries that produce passports in the embassy

I'm not aware of any.

So apparently Belgium gives excellent service to it's citizens which is good to know. 

Australia not so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

When it's more eg 6 months the follow up question is ....when I obtain my new passport can I go to immigration and have the expiry date of extension changed? Answer:No

Yeah, I never expected that.  I'll just be happy if they approve it.

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

I'm not sure if that letter is only regarded as being valid for a certain amount of time.

But I will say - probably best to do the transfer sooner than later once you get the new passport as you never know what's going to happen at immigration when you go.....

Yeah.  I just downloaded the Transfer Stamp To New Passport Form from Thai Immigration downloads. I've been here 17 years and I'm on my third passport.  Pretty sure it's safer to take the new passport and both old ones.  I'd do the transfers the same week I get the new passport.

21 hours ago, connda said:

Dang.  I just noticed that my passport expires at the end of January 2025.  My current visa extension ends March 1 and I'm in the process of putting together a marriage extension package.  In my head I thought the passport didn't expire until late March 2025.  

I'm just curious.  Will Immigration require the passport to be valid up to the date of the next renewal (which should be March 1, 2025) - or - will they grant the extension up to the date of passport renewal?  They didn't say a word about this last year during renewal

Just did that. My permit to stay now runs out in August, same date as my passport expires, whereas my previous renewal expired in Nov.

They gave me the extension, but only until the date my passport runs out.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Order a new passport ASAP. otherwise you

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

My pp is Australian.

My guess 4-6 weeks. 

It does not get made in Thailand it will come from OZ.

21 hours ago, connda said:

Yeh I got caught out last year and had to do the whole process again 5 months later.

I presume your extension finishes March 1 24?

You will have to re-apply in Dec 24/Jan 25 it will change your renewal date, from then on. 

You do not have to show your new PP to Immigration until the renewal date, as they have no idea when you got it. 

I got my new OZ PP 3 months before, it took 3months and 4 days to arrive.

For me it was a bloody nuisance for me as it is high season at that time, and so many doing their 30 day extensions it was packed at my IO, I used to do it in July/Aug with just a few others there. Relax you have plenty of time to get a new PP.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 4:29 PM, connda said:

I am surprised they gave you a date to extend after your passport would have expired.  I went through the same thing last year when I did my yearly extension and lost over a month due to the fact that my passport would expire first.  So I got a new passport six months later, had all stamps transferred and now the passport is good until this year's extension.  Easy enough to do and no cost other than the new passport of course.

10 minutes ago, Presnock said:

I am surprised they gave you a date to extend after your passport would have expired.  I went through the same thing last year when I did my yearly extension and lost over a month due to the fact that my passport would expire first.  So I got a new passport six months later, had all stamps transferred and now the passport is good until this year's extension.  Easy enough to do and no cost other than the new passport of course.

They did not.  His extension expires this year, next month.  His passport expires next year.  When he extends this year they will only give him until the expiration date of his passport.

On 2/10/2024 at 4:42 PM, connda said:

....Well, I'll just put the marriage extension package together and head to Immigration next week and see what shakes with my I/O.  Worst case is they issue a 2 month extension and I immediately turn around and mail out the US passport renewal.
But - hopefully they'll just allow the extension to the passport expiration at the end of Jan 2025. 

Based on your dates (passport expires Jan 25, 2025, and your extension renewal/expiration date is March 1st), there's no doubt the extension you will get this month will only run until the date of expiration of your current passport....so effectively the only "loss" is you'll lose about 35 days (January 25 - March 1st) in the extension you'll get next week.  After the new extension, get a new passport, get the stamps transferred, and be prepared to have a new annual extension expiration date of January 25th for future years.  Minor problem in my view.

In future years, would recommend that you obtain your annual extensions 30 days (can do it 45 days here in CM) in advance of extension expiration dates as it won't cause you any loss of extension time and will allow a bit more time to solve any issues that might crop up.  

How does all this re-newing effect the useless 90 day cr-p, i presume you still have your old PP so 90 day get tacked in there, is any remaining days transfered to new PP or does the 90 day start again?

Edited by maxcorrigan

VISA / Extension of Stay expire WHEN passport expires.  I sent my US passport for renewal 6 weeks before expire, ended up getting a Emergency ( 1 year ) passport 5 days before it ( Extension and Passort expired ) Because  of Emergency passport DATE, I ended up "loosing" 5 days.

After stamps transfered to new 10 year passport,

my NEXT Extension DATE is 5 days less than my ORIGINAL ISSUE DATE - 10 years ago ,

I have an unrelated question and rather than start new thread, hopefully can obtain advice.

So applied for new passport Au.

I'm here in Bangkok and need to make a trip to AU..

Oz Embassy in Bangkok received my application one week ago and guessing that's forwarded to Australia.

So my question: What's happens if my new pp is approved while I'm traveling? 

Any advice appreciated. 

• Confused 1

I reckon it'll be the same at the UK, i.e. it's cancelled as soon as the application is received.  However, only the Aus immigration will know that so it'll be fine for travel anywhere else, although not much help in your case.

https://www.passports.gov.au/passport-care/passport-validity-and-foreign-visas#:~:text=Can I use my current,Australia using the expiring passport.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I have an unrelated question and rather than start new thread, hopefully can obtain advice.

So applied for new passport Au.

I'm here in Bangkok and need to make a trip to AU..

Oz Embassy in Bangkok received my application one week ago and guessing that's forwarded to Australia.

So my question: What's happens if my new pp is approved while I'm traveling? 

Any advice appreciated. 

Is your trip to Oz more than 5 weeks?

16 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Is your trip to Oz more than 5 weeks?

In Oz you can only apply online same as here in TH.

I would not expect a noticeable delivery time improvement if you applied with an OZ address.

If time permits the pp is significantly cheaper

50 minutes ago, norbra said:

In Oz you can only apply online same as here in TH.

I would not expect a noticeable delivery time improvement if you applied with an OZ address.

If time permits the pp is significantly cheaper

Thanks. 

I made a point of applying during a period I had zero travel plans.

Sure enough something has come up and I need visit Oz. 

Find the system ridiculous in a modern world.

My Thai partner renewed her Thai pp recently and it was done overnight.

Oz takes perhaps 6 weeks. 

Cannot really make the trip until new pp in hand.

Not to mention the ~ 11k baht for pp

40 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks. 

I made a point of applying during a period I had zero travel plans.

Sure enough something has come up and I need visit Oz. 

Find the system ridiculous in a modern world.

My Thai partner renewed her Thai pp recently and it was done overnight.

Oz takes perhaps 6 weeks. 

Cannot really make the trip until new pp in hand.

Not to mention the ~ 11k baht for pp

Thai passports are quick coz not many of them travel internationally ( compared to many wester countries, like Oz ), so it makes total sense for them to be much quicker.

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Thai passports are quick coz not many of them travel internationally ( compared to many wester countries, like Oz ), so it makes total sense for them to be much quicker.

Umm one night vs 6 weeks. 

Ludicrous.

Thai pp 1500baht vs Oz pp 11k 

Perhaps Australian is so poor it cannot staff government departments.

None of which is important.

Some posts above suggest that when you apply for  pp renewal your current pp is cancelled.

Find that ridiculous if true.