1-year extension visa from a 90-day 0 non-immigrant visa insurance questions especially USA

Hi all, 

I'm here on a 3-month non-immigrant 0 visa which I got at DC e-visa Thai embassy. Would like to extend for a year multi-entry visa which I tried to get in the US, but they did not accept my federal Blue cross blue shield insurance which is international. I passed all the other qualifications like FBI background and asset check. But not the health insurance.  

questions:

1. Is there either a cheap supplemental Thai insurance they would accept. 

2. which US federal insurance should I get i.e., state department options...(?) that would be acceptable to Thai visa people. 

3. I have not visited immigration in Chiang Mai where I'm staying through end of February. so if you know what they will tell me.

Any advice is appreciated! 

former NIH program officer

13 minutes ago, Serenity_Now said:

Hi all, 

I'm here on a 3-month non-immigrant 0 visa which I got at DC e-visa Thai embassy. Would like to extend for a year multi-entry visa which I tried to get in the US, but they did not accept my federal Blue cross blue shield insurance which is international. I passed all the other qualifications like FBI background and asset check. But not the health insurance.  

questions:

2. which US federal insurance should I get i.e., state department options...(?) that would be acceptable to Thai visa people. 

3. I have not visited immigration in Chiang Mai where I'm staying through end of February. so if you know what they will tell me.

FYI,  not sure if you qualify for the Long Term Visa (which according to the 2024 benefits of BCBS,) should be accepted locally as the hospitalization if "unlimited".  You should be able to print out those

overseas benefits of BCBS (FEPBLUE), especially since it is a US government health insurance package!  If you need more info just drop me a note via this forum .

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Serenity_Now said:

Hi all, 

questions:

If you are 50 years of age or older, you can visit CM immigration and extend your non-O visa for purposes of retirement for a year with no insurance requirement. 

It's not a multiple entry visa but you can get a multiple re-entry permit which makes your extension of stay functionally the same as a multiple entry visa vis-a-vis travel in and out of Thailand.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

If you are 50 years of age or older, you can visit CM immigration and extend your non-O visa for purposes of retirement for a year with no insurance requirement. 

It's not a multiple entry visa but you can get a multiple re-entry permit which makes your extension of stay functionally the same as a multiple entry visa vis-a-vis travel in and out of Thailand.

That depends on what basis he got the initial visa

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Serenity_Now said:

Would like to extend for a year multi-entry visa which I tried to get in the US, but they did not accept my federal Blue cross blue shield insurance which is international.

Your reference to insurance comes from looking at a non O-A in the USA. 

You cannot obtain that in Thailand at immigration. 

@TheAppletons pointed out above.

You can obtain a 12 month extension to your permission of stay. 

However that has financial requirements. 

Do you have a Thai bank account in your name only? 

Dont feel bad about not obtaining the non O-A as the insurance requirement continues for each annual extension.

Many folk (retirement) have ditched the non O-A and obtained a non O. 

Here is a thread that outlines obtaining the 12 month extension.

Ignore the "obtain non O from visa exempt entry" 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1311886-visa-exempt-to-retirement-extension-process-and-cost/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You must be over 50, retired US govt right?  If so you should google the Long Term Visa (LTR) if your pension is over 80K USD a year.  The benefits are much better under that visa than the o retirement or OA retirement and a lot less documentation is needed and readily available from OPM.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

However that has financial requirements. 

Do you have a Thai bank account in your name only? 

Okay sorry if the initial post was unclear

Over 50 USA citizen

Got the 90 day non O on grounds of visiting daughter here who lives here.

Got the Financial Requirements but in USA bank which is accepted right? 

Wanted the 12 month visa initially but somehow refused because Federal Insurance 
so just took the easy route of 90 days.

Now I want to stay/ extend  12 months

Should DC Immigration have accepted my  federal Blue cross blue shield insurance

??

37 minutes ago, Presnock said:

FYI,  not sure if you qualify for the Long Term Visa (which according to the 2024 benefits of BCBS,) should be accepted locally as the hospitalization if "unlimited".  You should be able to print out those

overseas benefits of BCBS (FEPBLUE), especially since it is a US government health insurance package!  If you need more info just drop me a note via this forum .

thankyou will msg you later

Again thanks 

They only accept their approved insurance (or those that give management letters of coverage perhaps) - there is no provision to accept FEP/Blue - the insurance works fine but it is not accepted by immigration for extensions of O-A visa entry.  As said best to enter with just a non immigrant O visa or convert a vise exempt/tourist visa to such after arrival to avoid the insurance issue.  Alternative, it not that old, is pay for the minimum extra insurance coverage that they accept (but keep FEP/Blue for actual use).

• Thumbs Up 1

The OP is saying he has an O visa (not an O-A visa). Please post your comments, keeping in mind that the original visa is a non-O. Now I don't understand why they will ask for health insurance to extend it. Non-O extension should not ask for health insurance. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

The OP is saying he has an O visa (not an O-A visa). Please post your comments, keeping in mind that the original visa is a non-O. Now I don't understand why they will ask for health insurance to extend it. Non-O extension should not ask for health insurance. 

Likely because he likely has an O-A visa which is what he would get for long stay via evisa.

https://www.thaievisa.go.th/visa/long-stay-visa

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Serenity_Now said:

Okay sorry if the initial post was unclear

Over 50 USA citizen

Got the 90 day non O on grounds of visiting daughter here who lives here.

Got the Financial Requirements but in USA bank which is accepted right? 

Wanted the 12 month visa initially but somehow refused because Federal Insurance 
so just took the easy route of 90 days.

Now I want to stay/ extend  12 months

Should DC Immigration have accepted my  federal Blue cross blue shield insurance

??

thankyou will msg you later

Again thanks 

as you may have noticed already from others, if you have a retiremnet "o" and not an "o-a" then you do not need insurance.  I currently am on a retirement "o" for 19 years already and never once was I ever questioned (in Chiang Mai or BKK) immigration about insurance.  Like I said, if you qualify for an LTR, you can come and go without 90-day reports, and only do a basic tm30 once a year.  The in and out doesn't need the re entry report but LTR can come and go without doing that and use the better arrival and departure lanes when doing that.  Cost over 10 Years if one does exit and return regularly is even cheaper.  Just a suggestion.  I have a home in Chiang Mai so if you have any questions, let me know.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Presnock said:

as you may have noticed already from others, if you have a retiremnet "o" and not an "o-a" then you do not need insurance.  I currently am on a retirement "o" for 19 years already and never once was I ever questioned (in Chiang Mai or BKK) immigration about insurance.  Like I said, if you qualify for an LTR, you can come and go without 90-day reports, and only do a basic tm30 once a year.  The in and out doesn't need the re entry report but LTR can come and go without doing that and use the better arrival and departure lanes when doing that.  Cost over 10 Years if one does exit and return regularly is even cheaper.  Just a suggestion.  I have a home in Chiang Mai so if you have any questions, let me know.

The problem may be visa for visit daughter and he wants to extend for retirement - first extension of non O visa entry normally has to be for the reason visa was issued. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Likely because he likely has an O-A visa which is what he would get for long stay via evisa.

He said it's a Non-O with 90-day permission to stay. O-As are one year for each entry. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

He said it's a Non-O with 90-day permission to stay. O-As are one year for each entry. 

He has now said what it actually is - visit daughter - and extension is normally restricted to reason original visa entry was made.  So appears a new visa exempt or tourist entry and conversion (funds in Thai bank account) would be his best option.  That way no insurance issue.

You are right that current policy is O-A is multi entry for one year - but they had single entry O-A for many years and was not sure if they may have changed policy with the e-visa system.  

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The problem may be visa for visit daughter and he wants to extend for retirement - first extension of non O visa entry normally has to be for the reason visa was issued. 

I will be the first to admit that I know nothing about the evisa fm a Thai embassy overseas and this from lopburi3 saying that "1st extension has to be for the reason the visa was issue" so best to get either an agent in CM best to use Star VIsa as trusted unless others know another good one.  Good Luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

If you can get a Non 'o' a visa (the a is important) insurance is not required and for now lasts forever. Without the 'a' the base retirement visa apparently expires in 20 years.   There are some rules that I don't know much about that restrict what kind of visas are issued in different countries and in Thailand.  good luck🙏🏼

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, notrub said:

If you can get a Non 'o' a visa (the a is important) insurance is not required and for now lasts forever. Without the 'a' the base retirement visa apparently expires in 20 years.   There are some rules that I don't know much about that restrict what kind of visas are issued in different countries and in Thailand.  good luck🙏🏼

Absolutely totally wrong!

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

but they had single entry O-A for many years

When? The "A" (approved) has always meant a multi-entry, valid for a year visa.(Non-OA and Non-BA)

Edited by bigt3116

3 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

When? The "A" (approved) has always meant a multi-entry, valid for a year visa.(Non-OA and Non-BA)

You right - was thinking of the single or multi entry non immigrant O visa which was an option for retirement prior to the Non O-A; and from some Consulates remained an option.  Sorry.

• Like 1

OKAY Looking at the info here and on the link DrJack54 supplied 

• A non O cost is 2000 baht.
  • Would require 800k in a Thai bank account in his name only on day of application.
  • Needs to show funds came from overseas.
  • Require some basic photocopies of PP. 
  • Also a TM30 or rental agreement.
  • Requires minimum 15 days remaining on current permission of stay.
  • 21 days at eg CM.
  1. I should forget the Non O-A?
  2. So I am assuming that if I want to extend my 90 Non-O to 12 month I will need a Thai Bank Account ?
  3. They will not accept my USA bank account and 401k details?
  4. Would it be easier to just extend another 90 days if no Thai bank account?
  5. at this point I do not wish to open a Thai Bank Account but can show more than 800k in USA plus 401k

22 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

So no health Insurance needed BUT Thai BANK ACCOUNT IS A MUST ?
    I thought they accepted USA bank accounts but not from other nationalities?

If Thai bank is the case then just a 90 day extension will suffice At This Time.

& Again thanks for all the info 

24 minutes ago, Serenity_Now said:

OKAY Looking at the info here and on the link DrJack54 supplied 

• A non O cost is 2000 baht.
  • Would require 800k in a Thai bank account in his name only on day of application.
  • Needs to show funds came from overseas.
  • Require some basic photocopies of PP. 
  • Also a TM30 or rental agreement.
  • Requires minimum 15 days remaining on current permission of stay.
  • 21 days at eg CM.
  1. I should forget the Non O-A?
  2. So I am assuming that if I want to extend my 90 Non-O to 12 month I will need a Thai Bank Account ?
  3. They will not accept my USA bank account and 401k details?
  4. Would it be easier to just extend another 90 days if no Thai bank account?
  5. at this point I do not wish to open a Thai Bank Account but can show more than 800k in USA plus 401k

If Thai bank is the case then just a 90 day extension will suffice At This Time.

& Again thanks for all the info 

1.  2,000 baht is visa entry for 90 days - then you must extend for 1,900 baht with proof of financials (2 months in Thai account or 12 months of pension payments into Thai account (in your name only accounts).

2.  (3) No.  The US Embassy will not confirm pension income - so we only have option of 12 months of 65k or more payments into Thai bank account for income method.  You must have money in Thailand or coming into Thailand for in country extensions of stay.

3.  (4) there is no option to extend 90 days without meeting financial requirements.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Love It 1

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

1.  2,000 baht is visa entry for 90 days - then you must extend for 1,900 baht with proof of financials (2 months in Thai account or 12 months of pension payments into Thai account (in your name only accounts).

2.  (3) No.  The US Embassy will not confirm pension income - so we only have option of 12 months of 65k or more payments into Thai bank account for income method.  You must have money in Thailand or coming into Thailand for in country extensions of stay.

3.  (4) there is no option to extend 90 days without meeting financial requirements.

thankyou

much clearer

because i was under the misapprehension that thailand and usa had some form or reciprocity or agreement in place that usa citizens were not bound by the need thai account rules

for an extension i thought no bank details required  just show daughters visa birth certificate etc as listed below
plus the bank info initial visa was granted on 

Required documents of the applicant:

• Application Form TM.7
  • 1 Recent photo 4 x 6 cms. in size.
  • Passport with at least 6 months validity remaining (Biodata Page) and copy.
  • Copy of Sponsoring individual's Passport with info page and Thai Visa.
  • Copy of Sponsoring individual's Thai Work Permit.  (every page) 
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate (For Spouse) or Birth Certificate (For Child), Copy of Registration of Legitimation of Child, Copy of House Certificate, Copy of Registration of Adoption or the sufficient documents which needed.

again thanks

Edited by Serenity_Now
more info

1 minute ago, bigt3116 said:

There is no option to extend by 90 days full stop. 

Actually an expiring passport in 90 days would result in such an extension - you can also ask for the number of days for extension on the TM7 indicating a shorter period could be approved when requested.

5 minutes ago, Serenity_Now said:

thankyou

much clearer

because i was under the misapprehension that thailand and usa had some form or reciprocity or agreement in place that usa citizens were not bound by the need thai account rules

again thanks

Just the opposite - we must do because our Embassy/Consulate will not provide required letter of income.  It is an alternative Thailand allowed when three major countries refused to confirm income that you previously reported in a Consulate letter to immigration.  Privacy laws I suspect a major factor preventing valid confirmation in a reasonable manner.

12 minutes ago, Serenity_Now said:

for an extension i thought no bank details required  just show daughters visa birth certificate etc as listed below
plus the bank info initial visa was granted on 

Sorry - was thinking your wanted to change to retirement extensions of stay - which is what we have been talking about.  You have a minor Thai daughter living with you?  That indeed would be different requirements.

Have some friends in CM that use an agent (star visa) and yes, the immigration would not accept his world wide insurance  either though it covers everything and for sure wouldn't rip him off if needed so he too had to get a local Thai insurance - something that must be to provide local businesses with farang monies.  My friend just said he bought a cheap local policy that sufficed.  You might check with star visa there and they will be able to help you.  I don't believe the charges were too much anyway but I don't know for sure.  

5 hours ago, Serenity_Now said:

Any extension you want to do inside Thailand with immigration, they will accept only money in a Thai bank.
Anything you do outside Thailand in an embassy, they will accept US bank or home country bank accounts.

Edited by CartagenaWarlock