2 foreign men to face 10,000 baht fine for riding e-unicycles in Chiang Mai

snoop1130

1 hour ago, spermwhale said:

The problem is that on those types of vehicles they should be the left of the left lane and not in the fast lane, not to mention those types of vehicles ar not permitted on a motorway. It's obviously a danger. These morons are going to get killed. 

If you bothered to read the full article; their friend said '' they were going to make a U turn but missed it so they were going to the next one''

1 hour ago, bbko said:

I was walking along Jomtien's beach promenade several weeks back and some farang went zipping around me on one of those things and it was playing music.  He was just zipping around people left and right, an accident waiting to happen.

Those things are not meant for sidewalks or to be in traffic, basically they're a skateboard on steroids, keep them on bike paths/lanes.

Jomtien has bike paths/lanes?

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Unless they were getting reading to make a right hand or U-turn, that is definitely the wrong place to be.   And I don't see any shoulder or intersection ahead .... you can't fix stupid.

READ the FULL story

Footpaths in Chiang Mai are not good for scooters of any kind, heck they are barely acceptable for pedestrians. 

Driveways are about a foot lower than the footpath so you are constantly stepping up and down if try to use them. 

Easier to walk on the side of the road. I'd hate to be in a wheelchair. 

These 2 guys however,  should have moved to the left side of the road until they could see the U turn.  Then carefully cross to use it. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

READ the FULL story

Depends how far that U-turn is away from the one they 'missed', but no shoulder.  I would have moved to the left until I got to the U-turn.   Actually, on something that lite, I would have simply 'jaywalked' it, as possibly the safer bet, illegal or not.   Safety is more important.

Looking at the OP photo, doesn't seem to be a lot of traffic.

Edited by KhunLA

51 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Just wondering...

_DSC0177b(Small).jpg.91da73a99b810ae72ee046dbf3c3a52f.jpg

In the slow lane and not hindering traffic vs fools in the fast lane on one wheel cycles that crash often.  So what happens when they fall in front of car travelling at 100 km/hr? I could only imagine the vulgarities coming out of your mouth if you were rushing home on the loop road and these two cyclists were in front of you.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Stupid man, does he not know the load should be equally balanced on both sides, or it could be dangerous......

No migrants sitting on top...  what was he thinking?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Maybe they've learned from the locals that if you are turning right you need to get into the right-hand lane at least a kilometre before the turn.

What is your point exactly? Thais are idiots?  Farang are wicked smart?  I see both Farangs and Thais driving like fools and to be honest I do many things on my scooter that are stupid.  Maybe I redeem myself a little while in the car but regardless, given the current lack of traffic violations being enforced, most of us drive dangerously.  It is an enforcement and infrastructure that is the issue and Thais and non Thais as a whole drive like fools because we want to get from point a to b as quick as possible.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

how often exactly. ?  I have heard no previous reports

My friends did crash quite often but they aren't stupid enough to drive in busy roads with fast moving traffic and in the fast lane.  I  moved miles out in nowhere Thailand now but I think most if not all are not even using the u-cycles anymore.

Edited by atpeace

13 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

After vaping unicycles forbidden in Thailand?? The claim very dangerous??? but at least the men are wearing helmets, as a lot of motorcycles never do while speeding.

Another softpower to promote Thaiand?

They are dangerous, how are you doing an emergency stop on these toys?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, atpeace said:

What is your point exactly? Thais are idiots?  Farang are wicked smart?  I see both Farangs and Thais driving like fools and to be honest I do many things on my scooter that are stupid.  Maybe I redeem myself a little while in the car but regardless, given the current lack of traffic violations being enforced, most of us drive dangerously.  It is an enforcement and infrastructure that is the issue and Thais and non Thais as a whole drive like fools because we want to get from point a to b as quick as possible.

You sound like one of the foreigners who prefer to live in Thailand as the lower standards suit you and you don't have to try very hard. The country attracts many like you as the lack of law enforcement means you don't have to discipline yourself to act responsibly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, spermwhale said:

The problem is that on those types of vehicles they should be the left of the left lane and not in the fast lane, not to mention those types of vehicles ar not permitted on a motorway. It's obviously a danger. These morons are going to get killed. 

There are no traffic rules in Thailand as you know.. Everybody does as she/he likes... Never drove on a Thai road? Why are there so many traffic deaths here? Problem is that the rules seems to be for the foreigners only ...

• Confused 1

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

You sound like one of the foreigners who prefer to live in Thailand as the lower standards suit you and you don't have to try very hard. The country attracts many like you as the lack of law enforcement means you don't have to discipline yourself to act responsibly.

Probably right to some extent.  I'm far from perfect and in the end just want to live a satisfying life.  To each his own and if hating on locals makes you happy then I guess I need to accept it.  Not that you are "one" of the Thai haters on this forum - just saying.   I do understand how some are frustrated with their existence here in Thailand and should show more empathy.  

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

They were also traveling in the wrong direction....against the traffic.

no they weren't. Have you actually seen the video of them? A Thai mate of mine videoed them as he drove past them and posted the video on Facebook.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Unfortunately people driving in accordance with the law can do more harm than good.  Try stopping at a pedestrian crossing for example, and see what happens if there is another vehicle behind you.   And then , if the police become involved, see who is held responsible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DjSilver said:

As always, Thailand is full of retards 🤣

And I'm not talking about those who rode the e-unicycles 🤣

Ok, just a question. Have you added to that, or are you still in your home country?

• Love It 1