2 foreign men to face 10,000 baht fine for riding e-unicycles in Chiang Mai

snoop1130

Is there a law against riding unicycles on Thai roads? I am not sure, but I believe these guys were, as stated, in the wrong lane.

I would also argue the point of the 'right lane is reserved for vehicles traveling at high speed'. As to the 10,000B fine? Well over the top, or is it because they are foreigners!?

BUT. As we all know the rules are made up to fit the case in question!

You can't do that there here!!!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Those things actually belong in a circus

I almost bought one years ago.  Thought it would be a good way of getting around while travelling by bus.  I hate driving the car and oddly enough have no issues with bus travel but once I arrived at many destinations, transport was very difficult without having wheels. In Thailand speed while cycling has put me in many emergency rooms the last 20 years and finally decided they u-cycles were ridiculously dangerous.  One of the main recommendations on u-cycle forums was wrist guards because of the falls that would inevitably happen.  All fine but then I started to think about it, my wrists would be my least concern if I fell in traffic which would most likely happen.

Edited by atpeace

"Thai motorists demanded police take action against two foreign men riding electric unicycles, or e-unicycles, on a crowded road in the northern province of Chiang Mai."

Yeah, traffic looks nose to tail in that pic, gridlocked even.

2 hours ago, spermwhale said:

The problem is that on those types of vehicles they should be the left of the left lane and not in the fast lane, not to mention those types of vehicles ar not permitted on a motorway. It's obviously a danger. These morons are going to get killed. 

At last a comment that is common sense!

52 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You sound like one of the foreigners who prefer to live in Thailand as the lower standards suit you and you don't have to try very hard.

A lot of truth in that.

All I have to do is brush my teeth/hair and put on a clean, ironed shirt and I'm one of the best dressed men on Sukhumvit. Spend a weekend in Pattaya, add deodorant and I'm in the top 1%. :laugh:

I also use indicators while driving, which puts me in the top 5% of responsible road users.

As for these guys, it's pretty stupid. In the likely event of a crash there is no way insurance would pay out (assuming they have any of course) so they'd be the next GoFundMe story.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Just seems like another attack on foreigners   as Thais get away with so much more, every single minute of the day... yes warn them, regarding the correct lane  but I'd like to see the regulation stating unicycles are illegal. 

I wonder if they would be  driving in the left lane how they could U-turn ..? Even more dangerous !

To be fair:

Then I have to request, that the Thai police fine every motorcycle 5000 Baht for riding on the sidewalk.

No kidding

I see thousands of then every day!!!

Even thought, that there are traffic cameras, I never ever  see any police stop or fine them.

It's amazing the silliness and unnecessary risks people take on the roads in Thailand which are ill-advised.

They wouldn't do it home, why do it on some of the most perilous roads in the world.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

also use indicators while driving,

One of my Thai friends said I shouldn’t indicate because the other drivers will know what you’re doing and try to stop you. She was absolutely right, that’s just what they childishly do, but I don’t follow her advice.

Should they be hit by a truck in the outside lane and hospitalized, their insurance is unlikely to pay and then they will ask other people to fund their bills .

5 hours ago, arick said:

Three years back a Thai thief( charged property fraud) with his yellow Porche was driving at very high speeds and killed two people on their motor bikes in Hang Dong. He had no mandatory  insurance & no tax. He walked away free and wasn't fined.

"He walked away free and wasn't fined".

Got anything to back up that assertion?