Renting an apartment in Bangkok (FAQ)

For those who are planning to move to Thailand and looking to rent an apartment in Bangkok.  Below is a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) and their answers. 

https://amazingproperties.org/blog/detail/renting-apartment-in-bangkok-faq

You might also be interested in reading thishttps://amazingproperties.org/blog/detail/how-to-rent-an-apartment-in-bangkok

I hope these articles give you a good base when renting an apartment in Bangkok.

For more information on other real estate-related topics please visit our website:

https://amazingproperties.org/

And don't forget: Everybody who wants to sell or rent you anything wants a commission. Even if they just said one word to you about it.

And the commission is a percent of what you pay. Higher prices = higher commission. Keep that in mind.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And don't forget: Everybody who wants to sell or rent you anything wants a commission. Even if they just said one word to you about it.

And the commission is a percent of what you pay. Higher prices = higher commission. Keep that in mind.

The buyer of a condo here is paying the commission? Are you 100% sure about that?? 

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

The buyer of a condo here is paying the commission? Are you 100% sure about that?? 

Does it matter who pays the commission? At the end of the day the buyer, or the person who rents a place, pays for it.

If I want to but a place and it is sold for i.e. 3m or 4m then the seller pays 3% from that amount. Where does the money come from? Obviously from the buyer. And any agent wants as much commission as possible, higher prices = higher commission. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does it matter who pays the commission? At the end of the day the buyer, or the person who rents a place, pays for it.

If I want to but a place and it is sold for i.e. 3m or 4m then the seller pays 3% from that amount. Where does the money come from? Obviously from the buyer. And any agent wants as much commission as possible, higher prices = higher commission. 

Oh jeez. I've heard this before. The seller pays the commission. That's it. In many places in rentals   the owner or property management pays the agents commission as well ( in most places this is the norm) you also can find " no fee " apts. Now your next theory will be  that the rent is set higher to off set the fee!! 
Your theory about more $$ for sale bigger commissions is laughable as well. Let's take Thailand for example you ask 4.2 million and offer is 4 million. Now to get this extra 200,000 the agent and seller are in cahoots to screw you over. Ok so 3% of 200,000 baht would mean the agent gets 6,000  baht more which is MORE than likely also split with the house/ broker!!! So depending on the agents commission structure they get maybe 3 or 4,000 baht more only!! Hmm would not the agent just convince the seller that 4 million is a great offer and they should take it? Then just move on to next sale. Many condos are also well priced or even underpriced. Maybe you should offer a higher price? Happens in the West a lot. There is a value in Real Estate. The commission is paid from the seller to the agent. It comes from an AGREED TO PRICE BY BOTH PARTIES. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Oh jeez. I've heard this before. The seller pays the commission. That's it. In many places in rentals   the owner or property management pays the agents commission as well ( in most places this is the norm) you also can find " no fee " apts. Now your next theory will be  that the rent is set higher to off set the fee!! 
Your theory about more $$ for sale bigger commissions is laughable as well. Let's take Thailand for example you ask 4.2 million and offer is 4 million. Now to get this extra 200,000 the agent and seller are in cahoots to screw you over. Ok so 3% of 200,000 baht would mean the agent gets 6,000  baht more which is MORE than likely also split with the house/ broker!!! So depending on the agents commission structure they get maybe 3 or 4,000 baht more only!! Hmm would not the agent just convince the seller that 4 million is a great offer and they should take it? Then just move on to next sale. Many condos are also well priced or even underpriced. Maybe you should offer a higher price? Happens in the West a lot. There is a value in Real Estate. The commission is paid from the seller to the agent. It comes from an AGREED TO PRICE BY BOTH PARTIES. 

I have rented 6 different places in 3 provinces (long stay not holiday) and never needed an agent to do so.

the seller pays, but often ups the price to include the incurred costs...

the whole bull that farang cannot own land because the price for thai would increase too much... in my moo baan, houses that were priced 4.85 M are 15 years later sold at 6.5-7 or more... during covid it was around 5 ...

no foreigner involved, but greed of thais and owners head spun by agents, indeed, for more commission  

I am looking to rent something and it is weird why owners don't do it themselves and save on agent because in most cases, I could not go visit just with the agent, the owner had to be there too for some weird reason, one of them was, they don't trust the agent... but why pay a month rent commission then or 3% on a sale is beyond me...

Edited by john donson