Flights from Singapore to Australia, with a touch of class.

sipi

We're heading back to Australia via Singapore. Normally we (wife, teenager and myself) fly squashed into cargo class on the budget red-eye overnighter via whatever comes cheapest, normally KL or Manila, or both....

This time we'd like to have a stop in Singapore and continue on after a few days on a day flight with a touch of luxury.

Can anyone recommend an airline that does Singapore to Australia (prefer Brisbane or Sydney) in relative comfort that doesn't cost both arms and legs?

I see Scoot offer "business class" for a pretty good price, and Singapore Airlines offer Premium Economy for about AU$7000 one way for 3. 😧

Or do we just stick to the red-eyes?

You've probably got the convenient options right there.

For an alternative, you could look at Air Asia X --> connect on Air Asia from SG to KL --> Air Asia X has direct flights to Sydney and just this week restarted flights to Gold Coast.

Both flights about THB 30k round trip in "business".

• Thanks 2

Scoot-plus seating is equivalent to premium economy on any other airline, the seats are OK for recliners, but the service is pretty ordinary -- one meal and drink for the flight, served soon after take-off (presumably so that you will buy more later in the flight) Staff are focussed on making sales in economy, for the most part. 

Jetstar Business charge more, have similar seating, and better service. On the long haul flights I've been on, two meals (each pretty good), plus you are permitted to help yourself to anything available on the economy menu. 

The seating on Air Asia (via KL) is not all that roomy. I'm 194cm and had to curl up in a foetal position in order to sleep ... but the seats do lie flat (so they're definitely superior to those in Scoot or Jetstar), and that's way better than sitting up overnight. Service arrangements are similar to Scoot but the food is better and you can choose the service (first or second)  for your included meal/drink. A major disadvantage is that changing flights in KL isn't all that luxurious an experience, more like one that can make the journey stressful rather than relaxing. 

If it was my choice, I'd take the Jetstar flight. 

Edited by dundas
  • Thanks 1

Assume you have a reason to go by Singapore - bought Melbourne Bangkok return direct recently on Jetstar for AUD $700 including meals, luggage, and free change of ticket. Cattle class but for shorter flights no big deal as far as I am concerned - happy to spend on good accommodation. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. I didn't think of Jetstar. We just want some time in Singapore so the boy can let off steam.

It actually might be cheaper and more convenient to just do Singapore as a side trip from Bangkok, then go to Aust directly on Thai Air.

Still looking, thanx for the suggestions....

On 2/15/2024 at 8:57 AM, dundas said:

Scoot-plus seating is equivalent to premium economy on any other airline, the seats are OK for recliners, but the service is pretty ordinary -- one meal and drink for the flight, served soon after take-off (presumably so that you will buy more later in the flight) Staff are focussed on making sales in economy, for the most part. 

Jetstar Business charge more, have similar seating, and better service. On the long haul flights I've been on, two meals (each pretty good), plus you are permitted to help yourself to anything available on the economy menu. 

The seating on Air Asia (via KL) is not all that roomy. I'm 194cm and had to curl up in a foetal position in order to sleep ... but the seats do lie flat (so they're definitely superior to those in Scoot or Jetstar), and that's way better than sitting up overnight. Service arrangements are similar to Scoot but the food is better and you can choose the service (first or second)  for your included meal/drink. A major disadvantage is that changing flights in KL isn't all that luxurious an experience, more like one that can make the journey stressful rather than relaxing. 

If it was my choice, I'd take the Jetstar flight. 

We actually went with your suggestion and booked in the front row of a couple of Scoot flights, Bangkok to Singapore to Sydney. Price and timing being the main criteria. I just can't travel at night any more. It'll be purely day flights.

The price seems (cough, cough) alright.

Thanx again. And now to look at accommodation, just the thought scares me. Airbnb for 3 nights looks the go.

Edited by sipi

On 2/15/2024 at 5:42 PM, crazykopite said:

Hope you got plenty of spends beautiful city but very expensive 

Yeah I'm hearing you. Accommodation......whoa....

On 2/14/2024 at 5:05 PM, sipi said:

Can anyone recommend an airline that does Singapore to Australia

Does CARGOLUX fly there?

I once often enjoyed flying on CARGOLUX.

You mentioned CARGO.

So, then, I immediately thought of my fond memories of CARGOLUX....

image.png.55584282510c7c09448d2bbac07d71c5.png

I used to fly CARGOLUX from Taipei to Luxembourg, and then on to ICELAND.

But, maybe Cargolux flies to Australia from Singapore.

IDK...

However, it's worth checking out.

Best of luck to you.

IF you want a touch of class, as you say....

• Like 1

I bought Singapore business from Tokyo to SYD with a stopover in Singapore for $6k for 2 adults and 2 kids late last year for Oct 24. 

If you don't mind the extra stop check it out. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, n0mad said:

I bought Singapore business from Tokyo to SYD with a stopover in Singapore for $6k for 2 adults and 2 kids late last year for Oct 24. 

If you don't mind the extra stop check it out. 

That's a great price. Thanx.

For basic, relatively inexpensive, accommodations in the middle of the city,  try the YWCA Fort Canning historic hotel on Orchard Rd near the Dhoby Ghaut MRT station. Roof top pool  available. Convenient access via MRT to airport and major tourist sites.

Stayed there with the wife and 3 kiddos for a few days. Saw the sights. It was good enough as we were out and about most of the time.

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2024 at 1:27 PM, realfunster said:

You've probably got the convenient options right there.

For an alternative, you could look at Air Asia X --> connect on Air Asia from SG to KL --> Air Asia X has direct flights to Sydney and just this week restarted flights to Gold Coast.

Both flights about THB 30k round trip in "business".

I flew with them from Bangkok to Tokyo. 4 pax.

Their ''business'' option was very good value.

I forget exactly what I paid but from memory it was less than double the economy price.

The lie flat seats were ok. Food was the normal Air Asia rubbish. It was from Don Mueang.

No lounges, no frills but well worth the extra money in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

I'm looking at the reverse wanting to fly from Brisbane to Bangkok one-way. Flight prices are still ridiculous as pre-covid return economy was $850, now one-way on Singapore air is $1032. One-way Business Class is $3012

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I'm looking at the reverse wanting to fly from Brisbane to Bangkok one-way. Flight prices are still ridiculous as pre-covid return economy was $850, now one-way on Singapore air is $1032. One-way Business Class is $3012

just treat yourself and do the Business class ...  you can't be a cheap charlie all your life. 

17 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Yeah I saw that, hence my post in case I was missing something. Some prices have tripled since COVID. Insane.