New Govt Tourist Insurance to Cover Deaths and Accidents

webfact

17 minutes ago, thailand49 said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're saying that "international human rights" dictates that tourists killed or injured, anywhere in the world, have medical costs covered (up to a certain amount) and compensation mandated by international law?    Could you be more specific with that claim and, perhaps, show something to back it up?

Thanks LL, for asking. If true then someone is in violation for some time.

It is not true.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

What is their definition of "tourist visa" and what is the length of time of coverage? 

My guess would be that a Tourist Visa would be needed for a visa to qualify as a Tourist Visa.  How else could a Tourist Visa be defined?   Cover will be provided whilst the tourist is in Thailand being a tourist as no length of stay restrictions were mentioned.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

If a tourist dies in an accident, their family can get up to 1 million baht (around $30,000 USD). For serious injuries, they can get up to 300,000 baht ($9,000 USD). The insurance also covers medical bills up to 500,000 baht ($15,000 USD).

I'd like to know where they get the exchange rate from; 33.33 baht for a dollar... - Where can I buy dollars at that rate?

Also, I don't buy this 'we take care of tourists' thing. No doubt, rather sooner than later they will use this scheme to justify an extra tourist tax.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, biggles45 said:

'You have to be in Thailand with a tourist visa to use this plan.' 

So if I enter Visa Exempt and I am a Tourist on holiday, am I covered? 

I am too old to get travel insurance now so this would enable me to keep visiting

Never too old to get a Tourist Visa.  VE is not a Tourist Visa, nor any type of visa, it's a visa exemption.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

I don't think they have used actuaries in calculating and budgeting that amount. 1.5 baht per tourist? That 50m baht pot will last long.

Or 1 baht per tourist if they want 50 million... Leaving a 1-baht tip is an insult in Thailand, so maybe it's a Freudian sign...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Or 1 baht per tourist if they want 50 million... Leaving a 1-baht tip is an insult in Thailand, so maybe it's a Freudian sign...

What makes you think that 50m tourists are going to be claiming?  It's not a handout that all tourists register for on arrival.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There seem to be TWO  different versions in the opening two news reports above of what is actually required to be eligible under this scheme, with very different implications.

The first is the one you quoted above -- have to have a tourist visa, which excludes a lot of tourists who come via other means,  including visa exempt.

And then the other, second news report above has the following broader definition:

"They must be visiting Thailand with a tourist visa or for tourism purposes."

I have no idea which version is the actual one the Thai government plans to follow with this. But there's a pretty big difference between those two different versions.

I think what they mean by "...or for tourism purposes..." is for those nationalities which can get a Visa on Arrival (VOA) for tourism purposes....like below nationalities.

image.png.59ea7cc4368f33dc2b81de3278f7e679.png

And then you have other nationalities who might decide to get a Tourist Visa before arriving Thailand allowing them to stay longer from the get-go.

The key seems to be that you be on a "visa" which has tourism related to it which also means you forked-out 2000 or 1900 baht to get a VOA for tourism purposes or a Tourist Visa before arriving.

It seems if entering on a freebie Visa Exempt entry for up to 30 days of being a tourist/partying/etc. such a Visa Exempt entry would not receive the insurance.   

I bet the govt is funding this insurance by simply tapping into the funds they collect whenever a Tourist Visa or VOA for tourism purposes is issued at a cost of 1900/2000 baht.  So, in a roundabout way the tourist is still paying for the insurance indirectly. 

2 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Expect to see photo op here. I can see it now. Poor UK tourist is helped by Thailand after accident.

Yea...and no need to use Go-Fund-Me pseudo insurance. 

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, vivananahuahin said:

Farang is always in fault, no discussion, never a Thai driver.

B.S. - I have been hit 3 times by dumb Thai drivers merging into my lane without looking or signaling, all 3 lied to the police, just showed the cop my dashcam video footage each time, and all 3 instances went in my favor. I literally had one guy jump out and see me, and says "farang, farangs fault!", he was excited and thought he hit the jackpot, he entered from an exit ramp and then tried to drive perpendicular across 3 lanes of traffic on Chaengwattanna road without a blinker straight into my left rear door. He refused to give my insurance guy his information or license, so we all went to the Pak Kret police station, he got a talking to from the RTP about how to merge properly after they watched my video footage.

Maybe I've missed someone qualifying this, but under this government insurance scheme is there a defining difference between someone here on a simple tourist visa (in and out in 30 or 45 days)  versus a foreigner here on say a one year renewable  'retirement' non O type visa?

12 minutes ago, LatPhrao said:

Maybe I've missed someone qualifying this, but under this government insurance scheme is there a defining difference between someone here on a simple tourist visa (in and out in 30 or 45 days)  versus a foreigner here on say a one year renewable  'retirement' non O type visa?

someone here on a simple tourist visa (in and out in 30 or 45 days)

you mean visa exempt?

10 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

a Thai gets injured in, say, Europe they have free medical. 

Do they? A pre requirement of the the EU (Schengen area) tourist or spouse visa is a valid insurance policy covering the period of stay. Many insurers offer online policies that meet the requirements for a reasonable premium. 

11 hours ago, Enzian said:

Just going out on the roads on a motorbike should qualify as "risky behaviour." Who decides? 

Perhaps:

- Riding motorcycle without valid license?

- Riding motorcycle not wearing moganok?

- Riding motorcycle or driving a car and fail breathalyser or blood alcohol test?

9 hours ago, Surasak said:

Instead of the government having to pay, why not insist those on tourist visas have accident and health insurance. So many people believe 'It wont happen to me', and don't bother with insurance.

Perhaps even more true many farang simply don't think about medical insurance.

And/or mistakenly believe travel insurance (lost luggage etc.,) is the same as medical insurance. 

I have already express my opinion in inquiries : Whats the task of European Embassies in Thailand?

In times where societies experience health issues it is recommented to "eurocrats" regime to protect civil issues in a friendly foreign country like Thailand.

Health issues and security is not "bussiness" or "tourist product" for medical mafia but human rights besides of that "pay as you go" system in health is tricky for p.r.i.v.a.t.e insurance "companies" which are in direct collaboration with medical mafia.

When European tourists are injured in traffic accidents (Thailand ranks the worst grade near war zone countries like Lybia) first aid should free immediately implement in public hospitals for the accomodation country and afterwards its legal responsibility of E.U States Embassies to tranfer patients to E.U States where citizens are enrolled in the national healthcare system and enjoy good portion of medical services.

Immigrants as well as refuges (legals or illegals) enjoy free health care issues across the world and legal citizens like tourists with temporary or permanent stay are mandatory to pay penalties "insurance" in medical mafia .

Legal Thai system aknowledge them as offenders? Why? Because we are healthy and we do not want to be involved in medical mafia or in dirt hospitals offering our personal data to anyone's database ?

Ιn opposite case Tax Authorities of individual E.U contries do not aknowledge health payments expenditures in foreign countries and furthermoe on June 6-9 E.U Parliament run for election and President of E.U Commission Mrs Ursula von der Leyen run for a second term election and she is gynecologist doctor from Germany but Belgium origin.

Edited by Paris333

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Never too old to get a Tourist Visa.  VE is not a Tourist Visa, nor any type of visa, it's a visa exemption.

He said he was too old to get travel insurance not a tourist visa. Having said that, in the UK at least most insurance companies don't have an upper age limit, lots of people travelling in their 80's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Perhaps:

- Riding motorcycle without valid license?

- Riding motorcycle not wearing moganok?

- Riding motorcycle or driving a car and fail breathalyser or blood alcohol test?

Truly risky especially if your elderly, I guess ScoreCard YOU could take those risks at your age 😂

Edited by georgegeorgia

50 million baht is nothing. Would barely cover a few hundred tourists killed or injured in motorbike accidents.  The key is tourist visas only. Most tourists dont have a visa but simply a stamp in passport on arrival especially high risk tourists like the British and Russians.

This PR stunt will not stop the Brits appearing on Go Fund Me.

No chance. Carry on!

• Like 1

For any expat, or tourist. IMO, If you cannot afford to pay your own medical insurance

for your time in Thailand, go back to your own home country, where you should

at least have basic health coverage. Nobody should expect Thailand to

pay for your health coverage.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/15/2024 at 11:07 AM, webfact said:

Thailand wants to make sure foreign tourists feel safe when they visit. The government has set aside money to help tourists who are hurt or who die in accidents while visiting the country.

Just how SAFE are you if you die in an accident ?

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2024 at 10:16 PM, Cabradelmar said:

I mean, is not a bad idea. Albeit limited... Tourist (visa) only and if not breaking the law (helmet law, traffic/maritime law, etc.). What they should do... When you look at who is being hurt and dieing... It's mostly those engraged in adventure activities (motorcycles, boating, etc.)... Just require the outfitters to make all foreigners buy supplemental insurance at the POS (non waivable). Like when you rent a car, but without the ability to take a waiver. Then your risk reduction is properly focused, and the pool of payees captive. Given the numbers (total payees vs payouts), insurance underwriters could make a bundle, and you only make those most at risk pay-in. Just a thought. 

It's a bad idea if you have already paid for an insurance policy and get double hit through whatever means Thailand uses to raise the money for local insurance.

• Haha 1