Unregistered SIM Cards Suspended to Fight Call Scams

1707983169_834433-tnamcot-768x512.jpeg

BANGKOK, Feb 15 (TNA) – Holders of more than 100 mobile SIM cards per person who failed to register their identity with their mobile phone operators within the deadline will see their numbers terminated.

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has instructed all mobile operators to cancel the service for SIM cards after the deadline for identity verification on Feb 14 in the meeting today with mobile service providers.

The initiative aims to organize SIM cards, particularly those in the prepaid system without proper user registration or with inaccurate information.

Full story: Thai News Agency 2024-02-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Holders of more than 100 mobile SIM cards per person who failed to register their identity with their mobile phone operators within the deadline will see their numbers terminated.

As they should....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Holders of more than 100 mobile SIM cards per person who failed to register their identity with their mobile phone operators within the deadline will see their numbers terminated.

Why not make Sim card sellers responsible for taking peoples ID card details as part of their function.

Or, the Sim card owner must go to a service provider before the card is activated?

Edited by hotchilli

I wasn't aware of this, I have just looked at my post paid account which now says it ends on 29 feb previously there was no end date

Edited by RobU

I've had my True prepaid sim for 12 years. During that time never updated my passport with them.

In my True iService app it usually says welcome mr and my name. It had changed to mr NBTC.

The girl at the callcenter had no clue what it was or why it had changed so had to hand it over to the technical team.

At lunch they called back and asked me to check if it was ok now which it wasn't.

4 hours later called again and asked me to e-mail a picture of my passport and 2 hours later it was sorted out.

Seems like True doesn't get any warnings in their system about expired passport/documents and ask the customer to update.

My guess is that this was entirely done by NBTC due to insufficient documents (expired passport) without giving me or True a heads up.

If I hadn't noticed it my sim probably would have been terminated.

Hope this can help someone to not have their sim cut off.