How often do you eat Thai Food?

On 2/16/2024 at 9:16 PM, Prubangboy said:

N.Thai food is the most meat-heavy thai food, so I don't eat it a lot.

I eat mostly central Thai food, but when I eat Northern I usually eat a lot of the leaves (pug pi, cilantro, cabbage, lettuce) served along with the pork/chicken.  I rarely eat any beef in Thailand.... too disappointing.

My wife is an amazing cook of both Western and Thai dishes plus a couple of Japanese such as watercress with tofu and pork.

I eat high fiber/no sugar Western cereal+fruit for breakfast and 90% home cooked central Thai for lunch/dinner.

On 2/16/2024 at 9:54 PM, uttradit said:

Fried rice is chinese food

Noodles are originally Chinese as well, but Italians scored a lot more hits with them than the Chinese ever did or will.

Pretty much every country in Asia counts fried rice as part of their own cuisine.

Edited by gamb00ler

Well. if we're delving into the realm of street food, remember this.

There is a reason in Western countries there are inspections by local health departments of restaurants, food trucks anywhere that serves food.

That reason being, you can get pretty damn sick from unsanitary food prep.

If you every watch a street vendor 'wash' the cookware or utensils it'll make you cringe

So I love Thai food, but not from some roadside vendor

• Agree 1

On 2/17/2024 at 12:08 PM, spidermike007 said:

Great Thai food is astonishing. But only here, overseas I rarely get great Thai food. 

I agree but great is hard to find.

Thai Town in LA has lots of very good Thai food.  Las Vegas now has quite a large Thai population which has led to much better Thai fare being easier to find.

I tried Thai food several times in Canada... barely recognizable, especially in smaller cities where Chinese restaurants make what they think is Thai food.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I agree but great is hard to find.

Thai Town in LA has lots of very good Thai food.  Las Vegas now has quite a large Thai population which has led to much better Thai fare being easier to find.

I tried Thai food several times in Canada... barely recognizable, especially in smaller cities where Chinese restaurants make what they think is Thai food.

The last time I was in Los Angeles with my Thai woman we went to the highest rated Thai restaurant in Thai Town in LA, and though we spent $100 for lunch we were both quite disappointed. I think it's fairly difficult to find good Thai food in the US, it's easy to find mediocre Thai food or edible Thai food but very difficult to find good Thai food. We only eat Thai food in the US when she is cooking otherwise we take advantage of the huge variety of other types of ethnic foods that are available. 

In Thailand great Thai food is virtually everywhere. Fortunately we live here in Thailand, and I'm thankful for that fact on a daily basis. 

Edited by spidermike007

I eat Thai food every day (usually twice a day) when we're in Thailand. Almost always at home though occasionally at my sister-in-law's or niece's house. We almost never go out to restaurants for Thai food (except occasionally, when it's someone's birthday).

When we're in England that drops to about 3-4 times a week. 

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The last time I was in Los Angeles with my Thai woman we went to the highest rated Thai restaurant in Thai Town in LA, and though we spent $100 for lunch we were both quite disappointed. I think it's fairly difficult to find good Thai food in the US, it's easy to find mediocre Thai food or edible Thai food but very difficult to find good Thai food. We only eat Thai food in the US when she is cooking otherwise we take advantage of the huge variety of other types of ethnic foods that are available. 

In Thailand great Thai food is virtually everywhere. Fortunately we live here in Thailand, and I'm thankful for that fact on a daily basis. 

I would agree with most of that, and in a lot of the country, Thai food is quasi Chinese take out.

One of my daughters and my Thai son live in Denver, and we make frequent trips down there, not only to visit them, but stock up on food from the Thai & Lao grocery stores.

But we also discovered what is probably the best Thai restaurant we have ever eaten at, Thailand or the US.

My wife raves about the food, and everyone of her friends who have eaten while being down in Denver rave too.

https://aloythai.com/modern-thai/

• Thumbs Up 1

If you know which restaurant to go to in a city/town then 'real' Thai food is not difficult to find either alone or with Thai family or friends. This year I have been to old favourites including in Amman and Shinjuku, Tokyo. For the former I usually contact the owner to ask what she can make which is not in the menu in advance of going in the evening.

America's best Thai restaurants could be a CNN article (not a Fox New one, ever).

Here's my entree, deep in Hillbilly Land.

How they got there: Claiming oppression as Christians in Laos. Repub chumps will believe anything. All those Mex washing dishes are christians too.

Any way, proper stinky papaya salad:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g55129-d15196140-Reviews-Zaap_Lai_Thai_and_Lao_Cuisine-Johnson_City_Tennessee.html

• Sad 1

We basically don't eat out, why, well when the chef states that the food is not prepared as fresh as hers, doesn't taste as good as hers and is cooked in the same cheap oils, not to mention hygiene. You won't dare argue with her on that as they are all relevant points.

The above said, we mostly eat European at home, and we don't skimp on food costs, imported beef, lamb, olives, cheeses etc etc.

When I feel like Thai, the chef will whip me up a couple of Thai dishes, it can be anything from stir fry chicken with vegetables and cashew nuts, tom yum kung, puk poung (morning glory) as a side dish with olive oil, garlic and chilies, pork spare ribs in a lime style soup with vegetables, (Bangkok spare ribs) as we refer to them, the ribs basically melting as they fall off the rib as they enter your mouth, sometimes eating the bone as well as they're as so soft as and enjoyable to boot, curried prawns with stir fried vegetables on a bed of Basmati rice, Penang chicken with homemade pita bread as a wrap with lettuce, avocado and tomatoes. 

Never met a woman who loved the kitchen as much as the bedroom.....sorry fellas, they broke the mold when they made this one.

Only complaint is that she takes her time, so when she says she is going to cook, best drink a big glass of water because that hour wait can feel like forever until her blessed hands finish the finest food you have ever tasted, made with love, thank F when I order dessert it's instant 😍

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Most of the time when I'm in Thailand - except that is for breakfast.  Sorry but soggy rice and pork soup just doesn't do it for me. Bacon and Eggs just about every day.

When I cook Thai food at home that involves meat, I also supplement the usual cheaper cuts for quality meat and add more vegetables than Thai's normally eat.

As for some of the 'weird' stuff like chicken feet or bugs - never.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many out of many Hua Hin, Bangkok, Phuket etc restaurants are cheating in their prices and overcharge foreigners.

Write down the prices on the menu when ordering,   When the bill comes, add up yourself  and often there will be a difference of prices between the menu and what's on the check.

Edited by Middle Aged Grouch
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

At least 5 out of every 6 days, some home made but mostly from the market or food stalls. My favourite is Larb Moo with Chinese lettuce and sticky rice but I like many of the soups (moo deng for one), various rice dishes like Massaman or Penang (with sauces) and barbecue etc. I am allergic to shell fish and don't like smelly fish but enjoy Tom Yam Gai. I love veg but not "veggie" specific food. Thai Fried Chicken with sticky rice I usually eat when watching football games. On the odd day I'll have pizza, burger or stew.

Do I miss western food?: English bangers, soft bacon, beans and black pudding with breakfast (not cocktail sausages, rock hard crispy bacon and cake). Campbell's Minestrone and Pea and Ham soup, good mashed potato with gravy and "English blend" teabags like Waitrose own brand.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/17/2024 at 7:20 PM, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Depends where you are. If you to to Hua Hin, Phuket, Koh Samui etc...you will definately be ripped of with the overcharging and sometimes the average quality.

Bangkok seems the best place for quality at decent prices.

Have to disagree. It's easy to find normal priced Thai food all over Hua Hin. Obviously the night markets are more expensive but that's a given. Food court in Mkt Village is packed everyday with lots of fairly priced food. The main local market which opens early every day is also great value. In Khao Takiab there is also lots of normal priced food early in the morning near the 7/11..if you get around you will find good value food anywhere in Thailand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, claffey said:

Have to disagree. It's easy to find normal priced Thai food all over Hua Hin. Obviously the night markets are more expensive but that's a given. Food court in Mkt Village is packed everyday with lots of fairly priced food. The main local market which opens early every day is also great value. In Khao Takiab there is also lots of normal priced food early in the morning near the 7/11..if you get around you will find good value food anywhere in Thailand. 

Spent a month next to Mkt village, a great food area. Proper yellow curry abounding and a very solid, cheap sushi place in a soi next door.

• Thumbs Up 1