PM Eyeing A-List Performers Amid Taylor Swift’s Singapore Shows

webfact

23 hours ago, proton said:

This is Thailand, why should the radio have western music all over it? Normal music for Thai is luktung, morlam, phua cheewit, string etc not western sounds. People will never be demanding international bands beyond a few such as Blackpink or BTS while they have such great music of thier own, one thing Thais have a genius for is music.

Thailand does not need inflated western ego's, some with minimal talent coming at enormous cost. The few that have appeared here like Elton John, the Gaga woman and potty mouthed Cardi B have not gone down that well. For tickets costing thousands of baht Thais expect to see a show and be entertained, turning up is not enough. 

Variety is key. They like to indoctrinate from the young. Every country has its own folk and traditional music, doesn't mean it has to be forced 24/7

33 minutes ago, Kalorymetr said:

Variety is key. They like to indoctrinate from the young. Every country has its own folk and traditional music, doesn't mean it has to be forced 24/7

Who is forcing folk music on anyone in Thailand to indoctrinate them and where? Thai music is one of the most varied forms of music there is. Nobody is obliged to listen or watch anything.

Ying Lee was great last night

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, cracker1 said:

She could also be avoiding Thailand because her shows are all in English language and there is not a lot of that here, even though all Thai students have had six years of English language  in schools for more than 20 years.

Her recent film was packed out with Thai youngsters in Bangkok, they may not have much in the way of speaking skills, but many understand and can follow English songs well enough.

Ms. Swift canceled her previously scheduled concert (Muang Thong Thani) here in 2014, most likely as a result of Prayuth's coup and a concern for safety.

There is no suitable venue here for the ERAS tour.

Many people in SE Asia would fly into Bangkok, just as they are doing in Singapore, for a Swift concert.

The PM should not be discussing the terms of the contract between Singapore/promoters and Swift's management team in public. Bad form, and very unprofessional.

Rajamangala National Stadium is a dump.

Instead of talking the PM should be doing, something, anything. Build a world-class facility.

I know a few Thai people who tried for the lottery in Singapore but came up empty.

There are several YT videos of Thai people attending ERAs tour concerts in the U.S.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, proton said:

Its the main reason I am here, just got in from a great concert Ying Lee, Yuki, Lamyong, Biotoy etc, great dancers-150 baht for 5 hours. We never even paid singers gave us free tickets and Japanese fans bought us beer. Been to about 1200 concerts here over 25 years. 

Each to their own but i think Thai music is abysmal.  I love many things about the Thai culture/life... food, weather, etc, etc If you asked me what i don't like about the Thai culture, their music would be top of the list.  

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, paulikens said:

Each to their own but i think Thai music is abysmal.  I love many things about the Thai culture/life... food, weather, etc, etc If you asked me what i don't like about the Thai culture, their music would be top of the list.  

Food, religion and music IS the culture. No better way of getting to know Thais than being in a crowd of hundreds with them at a concert.

On 2/17/2024 at 9:30 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Silly auld Englishman that pretends to be Scottish and supports Celtic. 🤮

A muti millionaire who has had more hot blonde chick's than your hot som tam's.

Not that silly.

Singers or bands will come if they want and many have.The eagles come and did many shows like simply red.All depends on the people upstairs I Imagine and the people preforming have the final say.So if they want to come to bkk they will and I Imagine a nice fee  to play

On 2/18/2024 at 8:55 PM, proton said:

Food, religion and music IS the culture. No better way of getting to know Thais than being in a crowd of hundreds with them at a concert.

Not if you don't like it, It Isn't.   

Just now, proton said:

But Thais do so it is, nobody cares what foreigners like 

JESUS WEPT!  You've gone totally off the point.  i commented on your post saying you liked Thai music and i comment i didn't.  end of chat.   I know the Thais wouldn't care if i liked it or not.  I was commenting on you talking about it. 

On 2/17/2024 at 6:14 PM, Jiggo said:

Not true

Seen Clapton, Sting, Santana, Elton John and Queen the Thais where we'll into the bands also Rod Stewart is coming will miss that one.

I do believe they said big names. Names that would fill a stadium and net them millions. These singers you talk about coming. Have not arrived yet. But also they are very old and not as popular with the younger generation. On another note. Most of the singers you listed play more music than singing and when singing they usually have sing them slowly and with limited vocabulary. Not an upbeat pop star band. 

Build a Sphere and they will come.  The Thai audience loves music, but not a lot of foreign music.  Look at The Sphere, U2 next up The Dead and then Phish.  I see lots of people in Thai dyes and even with Dead shirts on but they have no idea what a jam band is.  Pearl Jam going on tour, hitting Australia .. wish they were coming here.  I think the Foo Fighters could sell out.  Still think the craziest scene would be a Dead or Phish show in Bangkok lol bunch of heads lost on Sukhumvit lol 

On 2/18/2024 at 10:20 AM, proton said:

Who is forcing folk music on anyone in Thailand to indoctrinate them and where? Thai music is one of the most varied forms of music there is. Nobody is obliged to listen or watch anything.

Ying Lee was great last night

Who? Radio, tv, schools, parents

On 2/17/2024 at 6:12 AM, Sydebolle said:

........ and the Number One reason is (you are not prepared for this) ............

the bureaucracy of getting a work permit, a Thai taxpayer number which, legally speaking, can be applied for only once the alien is in Thailand. Stars arrive max. 24 hours before a performance and are out of town the day after - in most cases. Department of Labour - mental note on that! 

Bang on! Not only that but remember when there was talk of F1 motor racing coming to Thailand and the revenue department wanted to tax the cars (that would have only been in the country for 5 days at most)? Also, the governor of Bangkok at the time, changed laws making it impossible ever to host a street circuit motor race in the city. Singapore wins on both counts. I see what Singapore did, as a good investment to the properity of their state and citizens. Thailand needs to wake up. Only after the fact do they "eye a-list performers". You snooze, you lose. And they did.

The Pussycat Dolls played KL (or Singapore?) back when they had that international hit.  I recall reading about it in the Straits-Times, imams were sending out missives condemning the lasciviousness etc.  Well, I used to think if the Spice Girls were supposed to be the hot gals you'd meet in a club, these Dolls were predatory strippers.

If in need of entertainment, type into your search page

beatles philippines

(try to get the recording of Lennon telling it)