Fiber connection speed advice

Kenny202

14 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Over 5 GHz, you will also not get 500 Mbps, and your CCTV cameras also use a lot of your network.

And I'm not calling you a liar, but from this and your other threads I have my doubts about many things

You're not calling me a liar? Yeah right. Its in black and white. And it appears you have implied it again. In any case whether you have doubts or not will c/not cause me any loss of sleep.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I dumped our 700 thb per month 1gb / 1gb true fibre due to frequent outages and connection issues 2 years ago.

Happily no problems with 2 AIS Marathon data sims which includes bonus of internet everywhere for both phones,hotspots for notebook and android box.

NT Thunder sim for router wifi backup.

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'm beginning to suspect the router too, it's odd that after WiFi "vanished" the tech reset the router and it's all OK again.

Channel conflicts/interference are also still on the board, but our OP will have to do a WiFi survey to check. 

Given that nothing has changed the router would be the most obvious avenue for fault. That or an external / connection issue unless someone next door has randomly installed something interfering with my system which I also have no control over.

So Crossy, you are telling me that on your 1gb connection using wifi you are getting 300mps, which is pretty close to what I am getting. And being the weekend in the middle of the day it is peak time. That's all I need to know....if that's normal. I never thought it was a speed issue anyway. I have been using wifi on the same router on the same computer on the same 500gb plan for 2 years and always considered it exceptional for what I am doing. I only agreed to the upgrade to 1gb as it was only an extra 99 baht a month. I didn't then and don't now think the speed is the problem. There is definitely no LAN connection on my Notebook. It is a slimline job. Huawei Matebook D15

image.png.0ae5f6013490e0120ac0646881583b34.png

Edited by Kenny202

21 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

There is definitely no LAN connection on my Notebook.

There possibly is, but it needs an adaptor which may or may not have come with it. 

image.png.23abc4e1c3ada3e0ccc078ce419b6533.png

So Crossy, you are telling me that on your 1gb connection using wifi you are getting 300mps, which is pretty close to what I am getting.

Yup, but most of the kit here is on wired connections (except phones and tablets of course).

Given that nothing has changed the router would be the most obvious avenue for fault.

Agree, except we still don't know if you have a channel conflict with a recently installed neighbour.

EDIT You need to have a bunch of evidence to give to your ISP or they will just brush over your issues "you have internet, no problem"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

EDIT You need to have a bunch of evidence to give to your ISP or they will just brush over your issues "you have internet, no problem"

No that's not really the case with True. It takes a few phone calls but they have always came when there were issues, we are in the city. And they were always their issues which were resolved pretty quickly.

Anyway, thanks all for the help. Don't really have any more time to reply to messages today. Will monitor performance over the next few days and report back. Been using the internet last few hours and all seems ok though I haven't been doing anything requiring speed. Seems more stable than before anyway. Time will tell

8 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

No that's not really the case with True. It takes a few phone calls but they have always came when there were issues, we are in the city. And they were always their issues which were resolved pretty quickly.

Anyway, thanks all for the help. Don't really have any more time to reply to messages today. Will monitor performance over the next few days and report back. Been using the internet last few hours and all seems ok though I haven't been doing anything requiring speed. Seems more stable than before anyway. Time will tell

Like a naughty dog, tech absolutely "knows" when people are looking into issues and behaves impeccably :whistling:

Long ago when I did field-service all would be just fine until I left the customer site then it would all go wrong!

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Like a naughty dog, tech absolutely "knows" when people are looking into issues and behaves impeccably :whistling:

Long ago when I did field-service all would be just fine until I left the customer site then it would all go wrong!

You don't have to tell me lol. I used to work for Vulcan Dishlex in Sydney. I was the only electrician they had so got all the VIP jobs. Went to Gerry Harveys place one morning (Harvey Norman / lovely people). His wife told me the dishwasher had an intermittent leak. Watch it for 2 hours / 2 cycles no problem. Water leaks underneath normally spread over the floor and out the front. His wife insisted I not look further, it hadn't happened for a week anyway. She was a lovely lady. The next day I was informed there was actually a leak...but there was a small crack in the floor under the machine. The water was seeping down the hole, for what must have been a good few weeks  and into the wall cavity downstairs. The wall downstairs collapsed the next day flooding the bottom floor. Mrs Harvey got me off the hook for that one lol

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2024 at 3:12 PM, Kenny202 said:

Just found a LAN cable, no LAN socket on my notebook

Keep looking--are you sure you have a LAN cable?   I have never seen a notebook that does not have a LAN outlet or more than one.

On 2/17/2024 at 3:54 PM, Crossy said:

There possibly is, but it needs an adaptor which may or may not have come with it. 

image.png.23abc4e1c3ada3e0ccc078ce419b6533.png

Yup, but most of the kit here is on wired connections (except phones and tablets of course).

Agree, except we still don't know if you have a channel conflict with a recently installed neighbour.

I have done a bit more research and there definitely isn't a mini RJ45 port on my notebook, the manual actually states not only the ext cable but the mini RJ45 port is only supplied in some countries. Other than that in their specs etc they have very little information about what the ports on the machine will actually do. I have seen people post they have successfully used a USB-C to RJ45 adapter...but I see one of Huawei techs saying in a reply on their forum this wont work. The USB-C port on my computer is the charging port but there are a ton of you tube videos saying you can use a USB-C charging port to connect an RJ45 adapter or a use an RJ45 adapter in one of the standard USB ports. Hard for me to get my head around how you can get LAN internet through a charging port but maybe it goes onto a general busway and everything finds its own way to where it needs to be. Clearly I have no clue

Does that make sense Crossy? I have just ordered this 1000mbps RJ45 adapter can plug into USB or USB-C

image.png.aad2f7ca74f4cf9c9958067b6df4585b.png

6 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Does that make sense Crossy? I have just ordered this 1000mbps RJ45 adapter can plug into USB or USB-C

I have zero experience of lappies with USB-C "charging" ports, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work in the same way as the USB-C port on my phone which works with the charger and/or external devices.

If it doesn't do what you want you can always send it back :smile: 

Had a similar problem years ago. 3bb sent someone out. At first, they thought that maybe a rat had taken a bite off the insulation somewhere in the attic. Turned out to be something with the line from the pole to the house. They couldn't find anything visible on the outside of the line. They only guessed that maybe a branch had fallen and stretched it somehow.

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I have done a bit more research and there definitely isn't a mini RJ45 port on my notebook, the manual actually states not only the ext cable but the mini RJ45 port is only supplied in some countries. Other than that in their specs etc they have very little information about what the ports on the machine will actually do. I have seen people post they have successfully used a USB-C to RJ45 adapter...but I see one of Huawei techs saying in a reply on their forum this wont work. The USB-C port on my computer is the charging port but there are a ton of you tube videos saying you can use a USB-C charging port to connect an RJ45 adapter or a use an RJ45 adapter in one of the standard USB ports. Hard for me to get my head around how you can get LAN internet through a charging port but maybe it goes onto a general busway and everything finds its own way to where it needs to be. Clearly I have no clue

I wouldn't use the USB C port, as you wont be able to charge the device and use the network at the same time. Better to plug it into one of the of the USB A ports.

8 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I wouldn't use the USB C port, as you wont be able to charge the device and use the network at the same time. Better to plug it into one of the of the USB A ports.

If it will work off the USB PORT will definitely plug in there of course. Why I selected that adapter can do both 😄

On 2/17/2024 at 2:47 PM, Kenny202 said:

I am not just sitting on the internet all day I am sorry, looking after 2 kids. Nor do I understand much of what is being requested. The router is a True Gigatex, or that's what written on it. It is not easy particularly atm to remove it and get to see actual manufacturer and model. The router is about 2 years old. Can I get an onscreen reading like you have shown?

As for the other question, screens freeze....streams /  videos sometimes jerky and constantly refreshing. Some pages hang and don't load. 2 weeks ago, and up until a few years ago there has never been a problem. I probably don't have the latest tech router...But nothing has changed our end. All devices same for at least 6 months, all were working fine before and now all having the same issues. As far as I am concerned the issue is a True problem and they can sort it out. How getting the model name of the router will help I am not sure? It is Trues router and has been fine for at least 2 years. Has there been any changes in transmission etc that would null the router as no longer being any good?

I completely understand your frustration.  However, ultimately the only people that can fix this are True.  They need to send someone to check, it is possible the issue is outside your home and nothing to do with your router etc at all. 

Coming to AN for advice is ok, but you really should be hammering True for customer support. 

Threaten to leave.  I wouldn't use True if they paid me after reading so many bad stories about them in the past 15 years.  I've been with 3BB and very happy with their service for a very long time (I am in Bangkok, in a condo though so maybe us city folk get better service than people out in the sticks).

Might I also suggest that you don't stream things, but instead download them.  I really don't understand why people stream anything unless its actually live. 

Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2024 at 12:18 PM, Crossy said:

Have you actually tested with a wired connection?

Another user nearby that's recently come up on WiFi could be conflicting.

Try one of the WiFi survey tools on your phone to check for channel conflicts.

Channel conflict is more of an issue with 2.4 MHz. Non overlapping channels are 1, 6, and 11

On 2/19/2024 at 5:20 AM, Kenny202 said:

For computers to work its basically hardware and software, however you need to have the correct versions / types.

Picked up an i7 Dell Laptop in Singapore last year, looked the part, worked okay in the hotel over WiFi. Get home try and plug the Laptop into the LAN, no socket. Been using Dell's Notebooks and Laptops since 1989 and all have had LAN ports. Solution was to get a USB to RJ45 adapter, popped over to TukCom, get home doesn't work. Laptop is Windows 11, adapter only rated to Windows 10 (my fault didn't check the specs).

Getting IT to work is never simple, and I've been doing it for 45 years!

On the subject of DataComs and throughput, couple of rules of thumb.

1) LAN cabled overheads are approx 5%, so if you have a 1GHz link, you'll get  950 MHz.

2) WiFi has many variables, environment, i.e. walls, furniture,  electrical interference (microwaves, mobile phones, lighting, radio etc) plus the reflective properties of all the various materials / objects. Unlike LAN, WiFi isn't Full Duplex (separate channels for Transmit and Recieve), plus there is shared traffic, mobiles,  other tablets/ laptops, IoT stuff etc as well to consider.

In summary expect 35 to 50% overhead.

So with a 2.4 GHz WiFi connection that gives you a typical 400MHz connection speed, then expect 200 MHz or above performance.

Just to check back, got True out today and there was a problem with the router. I showed the tech graph data I got just that morning like the signal was coming in waves varying from 50mbps to 220mbps. The internet does seem a lot more stable after changing the router but my True online test still coming up with max 250mbps upload and about double that download, and that is connected with a USB adapter / LAN cable (10 meters). In fact there is negligible difference in speed between the wireless and LAN connection. The guy showed me the online test on his computer and he was averaging 900mbps. I ran through some procedures using command prompt to clear out caches etc and deleted / renewed my wireless drivers... no difference at all

The router has 2g and 5g connections same as the last one. We connect the CCTV to the 2g and general use we use 5G connection. The speed test shows exactly the same result when I connect my computer to 2G as it does when I am connected to 5g.

The LAN cable and USB adapter both supposedly rated at 1000 mbps. Not sure what I can do now?

Edited by Kenny202

On 2/22/2024 at 2:48 PM, RayWright said:

Laptop is Windows 11, adapter only rated to Windows 10 (my fault didn't check the specs).

Getting IT to work is never simple, and I've been doing it for 45 years!

Hmmm, I just checked the adapter I bought on Lazada and it does actually say Windows 10...my computer is Windows 11. Wouldn't have even thought version of Windows would make a difference but I guess it is in the drivers? Mine is actually working though....just too slow and topping out at 250mbps upload speed. Did you say the Windows 10 adapter you had didn't work at all? There are other ones on Lazada claiming suitable for Windows 11 and 1000mbps...I might try one of those....however looking for honesty on Lazada is like looking for honesty in a bar.

I also notice the adapter is getting quite hot too though a google search says this is normal. I am surprised there is enough current or whatever going through a LAN cable / adapter to make it hot

On 2/17/2024 at 8:24 AM, Crossy said:

I'm beginning to suspect the router too, it's odd that after WiFi "vanished" the tech reset the router and it's all OK again.

Channel conflicts/interference are also still on the board, but our OP will have to do a WiFi survey to check. 

After reading this far into the thread, I suspected the "elephant in the room" which, until @Crossy mentioned it, would have been my next move. I just had and ASUS Router die on me for no good reason. It would power on, I could access the setup pages but just could not get it to sync with the internet no matter how many factory resets. Ditched it for another (ISP provided router) and internet worked again immediately at full speed.

13 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

...Wouldn't have even thought version of Windows would make a difference but I guess it is in the drivers?...

I also notice the adapter is getting quite hot...

Bought a "GLINK DL-015 USB 3.0 To RJ45" adapter. Front of the box says "Adapter for Macbook / Notebook / PC". The small print on the back shows "Compatible with Windows, MAC OS, Linux; Driver-free (MAC OS, 10.8 and above; Win8, Win10 and below).

Being a bloke just plugged it in (manuals, nah), LED lights lite up, but no connectivity. Went to D/L the latest drivers of the GLINK website and noticed no option for Win11, so D/L the Win10 versions instead. No connectivity still, LED showing connection. Read the box, then saw Win10 or below, no Win11. You could also argue there was no reference to Laptop. However did notice the adapter was very hot.

As Lazza can be a game of Russian Roulette, hence why I went to TukCom. Popped back a couple of days later and checked, no Win11 adapters anywhere. Will be up in BKK in 2 weeks, so will visit Fortune Town by Rama 9 and see if they have any.

In the meantime have had to use WiFi or SneakerNet to shuffle the data on and off.

30 minutes ago, RayWright said:

Bought a "GLINK DL-015 USB 3.0 To RJ45" adapter. Front of the box says "Adapter for Macbook / Notebook / PC". The small print on the back shows "Compatible with Windows, MAC OS, Linux; Driver-free (MAC OS, 10.8 and above; Win8, Win10 and below).

Being a bloke just plugged it in (manuals, nah), LED lights lite up, but no connectivity. Went to D/L the latest drivers of the GLINK website and noticed no option for Win11, so D/L the Win10 versions instead. No connectivity still, LED showing connection. Read the box, then saw Win10 or below, no Win11. You could also argue there was no reference to Laptop. However did notice the adapter was very hot.

As Lazza can be a game of Russian Roulette, hence why I went to TukCom. Popped back a couple of days later and checked, no Win11 adapters anywhere. Will be up in BKK in 2 weeks, so will visit Fortune Town by Rama 9 and see if they have any.

In the meantime have had to use WiFi or SneakerNet to shuffle the data on and off.

Mine actually works on Windows 11, although same low 250mbps as wireless. No improvement at all. But it does stipulate Windows 10 (not 11). I have ordered another one off Lazada they rate 1000mbps and Windows 11 so we will see how that goes. Was under 300 baht so not lose too much if it doesn't work. I think the problem I had with flaky speeds and drop outs has been rectified with the new router...seems much smoother now like it used to be at least.

14 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I have ordered another one off Lazada they rate 1000mbps and Windows 11 so we will see how that goes. Was under 300 baht...

Let me know how you get on, as a trip to Fortune Town can get quite expensive, as could do with saving a few penny's.

13 hours ago, RayWright said:

Let me know how you get on, as a trip to Fortune Town can get quite expensive, as could do with saving a few penny's.

No worries Ray, should get it tomorrow. Must say I am not feeling confident lol. I was out yesterday mall here up country Banana IT had a few good brand adapters between 700-1000 baht....Belkin and U green 2 of them. I am in Isaan so you should be able to get them anywhere

On 2/24/2024 at 12:14 PM, Kenny202 said:

Mine actually works on Windows 11, although same low 250mbps as wireless. No improvement at all. But it does stipulate Windows 10 (not 11). I have ordered another one off Lazada they rate 1000mbps and Windows 11 so we will see how that goes. Was under 300 baht so not lose too much if it doesn't work. I think the problem I had with flaky speeds and drop outs has been rectified with the new router...seems much smoother now like it used to be at least.

I just done some stuff on a Windows 11 laptop using wifi via my 3BB router whilst using my W10 PC on LAN cable, no probs..

Got the Windows 11 adapter....speed still between 250-300 but I do notice this adapter not getting hot. When the True guy was here the other day he showed me he was getting 900 mbps with a LAN cable...in hindsight I should have connected my Notebook up to his LAN cable and if I was still slow that would have shown a problem in my notebook capability. In any case my original problem of the drop outs etc seems to be gone so not the end of the world. Is there anything I should look for in my Notebook? Drivers updated etc? I am using the USB 3.0 port...maybe it just isn't optimized for LAN connection