Thaksin freed on parole and returns to Ban Chan Song La residence

webfact

42 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well enough to be discharged, suddenly, on the same date as paroled! Are you a member of the group who say 'oh he is wearing a neck brace, so  must be gravely ill, let him out of hospital?' Too many duck down pillows at night perhaps?

Have you actually read my post? 🤣😂 I said he could not be discharged to the prison because the prison authorities did not have the facilities to look after him so he remained a prisoner at the hospital. Once he was granted parole he was allowed to leave the hospital anytime. He paid for medical facilities at  his own home (in case you haven't noticed he is a billionaire and could afford to build his own hospital) and was transferred to his own home to continue treatment.

Edited by RobU

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

Your hired, should have contacted police hospital and suggested this, never knew he had neck problems thought it was his ticker, but the brace certainly makes  him look sick, and others.

They could have just taped an IV on to his arm without a needle and hung a jar of saline beside him.

The only link I can think of would be if he had been subject to a tracheostomy, I do not know if a neck brace is required after, for  patients who become mobile. 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Winder was not in hospital (and did not need to be in hospital) immediately prior to his death in a police cell.

Oh so  now you are combined doctor, lawyer and apologist for the system?

Not at all, I just happen to be able to read!

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Care to give an example, with evidence, of other prisoners' dying as a result of being denied medical care?

Alexei Navalny.

Those stats are hard to find, but I named two in another post. As to evidence, what am I your policeman? You think I have access to such and it is out there in the public domain?  Death is the evidence! Care to give evidence they died because they were in the luxury wing of a police hospital receiving excellent medical care?

We're discussing Thai prisoners in Thai prisons in Thailand allegedly dying  because they were denied hospital treatment, remember, you brought that up!  The two you named did not die as a result of being denied medical treatment.  If you don't have access to factual information relevant to your assertions, don't expect others to believe those (false, in both those cases) assertions!

"Care to give evidence they died because they were in the luxury wing of a police hospital receiving excellent medical care?"

No idea what you mean by that, why should I provide evidence for something that I have not claimed to have happened?  You're the one claiming that prisoners died as a result of being denied treatment.

11 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

That's never going to happen - there is no appetite for it because Thai people know that any serious unrest will be put down immediately.  I expected major protests or even riots after Move Forward were not allowed to form a government despite spectacular results in the last election - it didn't happen.

I've spoken to a few Thai's about that and they appear to be resigned to the fact that they are powerless and that the powers that be will always control the country.  I was also interested to learn that they, like some Westerners, believe that the real power lies within the elite families who tolerate the various parties that they allow to form governments, provided their wealth is protected.

Many years ago I was told, by a well informed Thai academic that the country was controlled by these 'elite families' who exercised overall power via the military.  The people were allowed to think they have democracy and the various political parties shuffled around 'the trough', swapping' perceived power' from time to time via so called  'democratic elections'.  However if those parties got any designs on real power or anything else became a serious threat to the elite, the military were instructed to put a stop to it and that usually resulted in a coup.  And that is exactly what has happened - 14 coups in total since 1932.

The only difference with the most recent coup and subsequent 'return to democracy' was that the military came up with a plan to ensure thay could retain power without actually appearing to do so - the new constitution.  The military can now choose who runs the country via The Senate and were therefore able to state 'No More Coups' - we will see.

The nearest that Thailand came to serious public unrest in recent years was The Red Shirt riots and they were put down when they became a serious threat.  Many of the ringleaders of the Red Shirt movement have been locked up and some have 'disappeared'. The more recent student protests looked like they were gaining momentum and support from the population in general - then the students made a fatal mistake: They added reform of the royalty to their demands and the growing 'popular support' melted away. Move Forward tried that too.

To mount a serious coup against a well armed military would require huge amounts of finance, I doubt that anyone with that sort of cash would be prepared to provide that finance because they are probably already feeding at the trough.

Thaksin obviously did some sort of deal to be able to return to Thailand - Thai people are aware of that and don't believe that he was ever destined to actually be imprisoned.  They don't believe the 'seriously ill' fiasco either and are not in the slightest bit surprised that he has gone from 'needing to be hospitalised' to straight home when his parole date came around but what can they do?

Protest: That would achieve nothing.

Riot: That would be put down immediately

Stage a Coup: They wiould lose and thousands would be killed, the people cannot finance a coup. The only thing that a 'Citizens Coup' is likely to achieve is that the military would step in and take control once again. Thai people have had enough of that.

Many people forecast that major unrest would ensue when the previous monarch died - arguing that he was the gel that held the country together and the military's grip would be broken. It never happened.

I'd love to see serious change in Thailand and a real democracy rather than the sham that currently exists but all I see is resignation.

Well you did ask me a question about what I thought should happen and you got my response. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No idea what you mean by that,

Read it again then. Not many prisoners get to be moved to this facility when unwell. They can die in the regular place. Kevin Smitham was left to die where he was, In a Thai prison, and did not get moved to a hospital. The Thaksin charade. 

46 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Read it again then. Not many prisoners get to be moved to this facility when unwell. They can die in the regular place. Kevin Smitham was left to die where he was, In a Thai prison, and did not get moved to a hospital. The Thaksin charade. 

image.png.9c0e9eb66645bae582f26b27bc0a4dda.png